Unlimited access >

Sad News for Devon

Looks like Hunter/Jumper all the way. No other type of show experience. Not sure if they can keep the Saddlebreds and the Roadsters (low participation) but the Coaching classes are a big draw.

1 Like

The saddlebred classes have been dwindling and dwindling and dwindling over the years. Long before anyone involved in current management was in place.

2 Likes

Devon is a lousy location for a Saddlebred show. There’s a fair amount of Morgans in New England, but there are few big saddlebred barns. There’s a lot of Saddlehorses in (southern & western) Virginia, West Virginia & the Carolinas, but hauling them to Philly is astronomical. Besides the traffic up I-95, there’s the tolls; they can get high for a truck and trailer.

It’s one of those shows my smallish Richmond area barn might consider, but the 6-8 hour haul to Asheville, NC is easier than the 6-8 (assuming the traffic gods are smiling) to Philly. That’s not factoring in other expenses.

So much of the ASB and Saddle Seat work has contracted. It used to be that you could be an AOT, and do the shows, have fun, and occasionally get a good ribbon. Now, in order to be competitive, you need to have a horse with a trainer, and the further up the ranks you want to go, the more important it is that you are with “certain” trainers. It’s very sad to see a breed ruined because of the focus on characteristics that only about 10% of any given foal crop will have, but that’s the truth of it. I know so many people who are just done with it.

3 Likes

Sad to hear. I’m planning on getting back into my beloved breed this year

1 Like

https://nancyjaffer.com/whats-in-store-for-devon-with-new-management/