Unlimited access >

Saddle solutions for a "Princess and the Pea" youngster

I acquired a young horse earlier this year. Not exactly sure of her age but very likely turned four this spring as of her spring dental appointment (who is also my vet). Not sure of breed or bloodlines either but she is a SMART and sensitive type of mare and communicates very clearly, which I like a lot. She had been handled (leads, kind of stood to be tied, kind of would let you pick up her feet) and was (relatively) easy to start under saddle, though her interest in participating waxes and wanes. She likes to ā€œhang outā€-- with the other horses, with people, but not always go to work. Thereā€™s a lot of stopping at the gate and pulling me back to the gate, normal baby horse stuff. Mostly she aims to please. Sheā€™s never once been mean but certainly does not suffer fools. Basically I adore her personality except that sheā€™s not lazy but is more backward-thinking than Iā€™d like-- her go-to move when offended is to turn in and refuse to yield her shoulders and now sometimes tear around on the longe and tune you out completely. It used to be running backward so weā€™re making progress.

Sheā€™s had less than ten rides under saddle. The first few she had no issues with some encouragement from the ground. Cautiously forward at the walk and trot, a tiny bit of canter by accident. Never offered a single kick out, rear, buck, etc. Weā€™ve been working on walk-trot transitions under saddle, and after a couple of rides off the longe, sheā€™s tried to get me off twice. She does know what Iā€™m asking; her voices commands are excellent and she will alllmost go into trot and then decide not to. Iā€™ve just been rewarding her for each try. Then she would take two trot steps and decide otherwise. This is not my first baby and I know they are all different under saddle, but this is not a reaction I would expect from her. Earlier this week she admittedly got me halfway off and I bailed. Got back on and walked around, then called it quits. Did tack check, my saddle isnā€™t fit to her but not terrible by any means. Yesterday I stuck it out, schooling something else, and quit for the day. Tack check again, this time saddle looks a hair too wide on her and might be causing pressure point under the saddle-- I can feel it and see it on my saddle pad after she got nice and sweaty with all this gross weather weā€™ve been having.

This horse changes shape every single day. I can tell sheā€™s always going to be one to tell me when something is not to her liking. So, people with sensitive young horses, what have you done when they change so much? Iā€™ve experimented with half pads and shims but havenā€™t found a combination I like so far. I was already riding in a half pad so thatā€™s not an easy solution. Beg my fitter to come out once a month? Quit until she stops changing so much? Any other solutions? Iā€™ve always been of the mindset that babies make do with functional until they earn their right for me to spend $$$ on tack just for them, but maybe Iā€™m growing nicer.

ETA: Filly works 3-4 times a week for about ~25-30 mins, 1-2 of those have been rides since we first started her under saddle (15 min groundwork, 10 min ride). Iā€™m dragging her up for our first lesson with my trainer next week. Was hoping to be walk trot by then but looks like thatā€™s unlikely now.

You have my sympathy. I went through a similar challenge in that my filly (now a mare) seemed to be changing shape every time I sat on her back. I had the saddle fitter out three times between her 3rd and 4th birthday and each time she stenciled totally different. She never had any behavioral issues but I disliked the concept of riding her in a poorly fit saddle. The fitter gave me some options and we made one of my older saddles work temporarily, but within three months it was inappropriate. I ended up giving up the idea of riding her until she ran out her most recent growth spurt. For the last year and a hafl I have mostly been ponying her. I would get on her once or twice a week, if that, just to keep things spinning, but it was probably unnecessary. She seems to pick off wherever we left off every time.

I will say last year she did throw the brakes on me abruptly and after some investigating I realized she strongly objected to the mohair girth I was riding her in.

Iā€™m not quite of the mind ā€œbabies make due with something functional until they earn their right to have money spent on themā€ as you said, but I do think there is a middle ground between waiting until they are mature enough you can just figure out what their final shape will be. That being said, you donā€™t want to scrimp early on and indirectly cause early saddle/back problems theyā€™ll have to chase their entire life either. You donā€™t want to ever give them a reason not to enjoy their work, least of all a physical one.

3 Likes

I used a saddle that fit my 4 y/o ā€˜s general shape and was adjustable. Kent and Masters, then I only had to have fitter out occasionally for flocking as needed. Between being adjustable and using yoga pads cut up as shims, we made it over the dark side. He actually still goes extremely well in the K&M but I think this winter Iā€™ll have the fitter out for a new saddle.

1 Like

What is she doing when she ā€œtries to get you offā€?

I knew I couldnā€™t be the only one. By functional I mean ā€œfits well enough with a sheepskin half pad and horse goes nicely forward.ā€ I am also lucky in that most of my young horses have all been similar shapes-- small, round, and wide. She is also small, round, and wide, but in a different way, I guess.

@fordtraktor She gives a good buck and spins. She got me by surprise the first time; the second time I was able to pull her up.

1 Like

I have a 4yo filly thatā€™s been under saddle for the past few months and came home from being started. She had some fussing as we sorted out tackā€¦saddle fitter did come and fit my saddle. However, prior to the fitter coming out I had used a sheepskin lined pad to buffer the slightly too wide saddle. After the fitter adjusted everything I went back to a normal pad and realized she was more fussy about stuff. I ended up splurging on a Mattes pad with the sheepskin underneath (instead of the half pad). Instantly happy girl! Even though the saddle is fitted professionally, she definitely is much happier in with the extra fluff!! LOL And I have to sayā€¦there is a big difference between the Mattes brand and the knockoffs. Since then, Iā€™ve ordered another so I can wash one and use oneā€¦and she has been consistently happy with that set up (we also have a mattes girth now tooā€¦a princess and pea for sure!).

5 Likes

Unpopular opinion but Iā€™d try some of the adjustable brands and see which fits her best: Kent & Masters, Thorowgood, Bates, Wintec, Collegiate. Then you have some wiggle room to account for changes without needing the help of a saddle fitter every month. Plus, most of them are relatively affordable.

My ā€œbabyā€ (who is now 18, sheesh, where did those 18 years go) sounds a lot like yours. Smart, smart, smart, but SENSITIVE. As stupid as this sounds, switching her to a Wintec was life-changing.

8 Likes

I longed her in my collection of half pads (seriously, itā€™s getting ridiculous) and I think she preferred the sheepskin. I have a Mattes and a Fleeceworks, both are a little dingy and a little small for this saddle, so I may try to find another. Iā€™ve never paid so much for a free horse :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Check saddle fit of course but you have to teach those saucy mares how to actually trot and not hit the bit. Does she know how to place and position her hind leg to lift into the trot? Can you do in hand a leg yield to trot transitoon? Sounds like her shoulders are stuck and she is hitting the bit and that makes her mad.

1 Like

My friend starts a lot of babies and does the first 6 months or so in a western saddle. Apparently they distribute weight more evenly and feel quieter to the horse. Iā€™m not sure what model but I can ask.

2 Likes

I ride my young horse in the Fairfax World Class. It has a changeable gullet plate that comes in half size increments and is also wool flocked, so can be adjuste that way too. I have the fitter out every 3 months. This saddle seems to fit a lot of types and I bought one for my other young horse too.

1 Like

Seconding the western saddle suggestion. A good one is more forgiving as far as minor changes in shape because of the thick pads. Iā€™ve seen seen people riding in western pads under their English saddles too - the horses seem to appreciate the wool. If youā€™ve got a saddle thatā€™s wide enough, that might work.

Iā€™ve got a sensitive one too, and he much prefers a sheepskin or wool pad directly on his back.

If she didnā€™t have a buck-and-spin Iā€™d say get on her bareback and see :laughing:. Someone I know starts their babies that way, cause they can bail easier and donā€™t have to worry about saddle fit. But theyā€™re ridiculously experienced and far more athletic than Iā€™ll ever be!

2 Likes

Might be a good way to get decked, but have you just hopped up there bareback and see what she says? Iā€™m wondering if a horse as sensitive as her might be objecting just generally to ā€œthis feels weird and I donā€™t really want toā€. Bareback if she pulls the same stunts, youā€™ll know to stick it out and let her learn that some of this isnā€™t optional.

She sounds like a lot of fun.

Not saddle related but I am wondering about a horse that only has ten rides in being all sweaty in your ride? How hot is it there? Could you be asking for a bit too much for her and maybe need to step back a bit?

3 Likes

I got on her bareback the first few times and rode her bareback just walk/halt transitions I think twice. With her being young and round and flat, her back is SO WIGGLY. She has a big trot, too, so I donā€™t want to aggravate her more if Iā€™m moving around more than I would otherwise or insecure or holding her back accidentally. She might just be having a ā€œno, thank youā€ moment but sheā€™s usually pretty game and catches onto things really quickly.

@fivestrideline I usually get on them bareback the first few times, too, so if something happens I can quickly slide off. I havenā€™t been riding any wild ones recently either, so my reflexes are out of shape, too, if thatā€™s a thing that can happen.

Itā€™s been like a jungle on the east coast the past few weeks. She got a 10-15 min longe and then a 10 min ride and was sweaty under the saddle/girth and her armpits. Not drenched and not breathing hard.

2 Likes

Not sure what you mean by actually trot. She goes nicely into side reins and long lines at the walk and trot and a few canter steps, and I ride with very very light contact if any when they first start trot and canter under saddle.

A hair too wide is simple to work with as long as the total shape fits her. A shim, or 2 thinner ones to layer so thereā€™s not a drop off pressure point behind 1 thicker one, works well.

What type of panels do you have? Some horses HATE the bounce of air panels, for example. If you have wool, when were they last reflocked?

You said you have tried a number of half pads, etc. Have you tried a Skito Equalizer pad? They are amazing. Toklat makes a knockoff, but they arenā€™t as good. I have ridden a horse with a sore back using an Equalizer and when I got off, the back was no longer sore. They are worth the hefty price. They also last forever, never lose their shape, and the cover is machine washable. They do make one shaped for a dressage saddle. https://www.skitosaddlepads.com/products/top-load-dressage-pad2/1915816000007639074 I see now that they are doing full custom pads. Their site has changed a lot since I last looked.

This was going to be my suggestion, so not completely unpopular :wink:

If it seems it is her "width " that keeps changing and you can find a saddle that matches her back shape well ( no bridging) you may find an adjustable gullet all you need till she stops changing so much.