Unlimited access >

Saddle struggles: big shoulder & wither TB

I have a horse built like this and I too ended up with a Black Country. I have a Maelstrom which is the upgraded version of the quantum. Horse and I are super happy with it.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the nice recommendation, Lauren.

OP, if you are looking for a dressage saddle, check out the Niedersuss. I just picked up a very nice older one for $500 and the medium fits my OTTB with a mattes pad, 2 shims in front, one in back, perfectly. It is a minimalist saddle but heck, who needs a bunch of knee roll or a deep seat on a greener horse?

My go to saddle for jumping is the County Conquest and my OTTB guy fits in a medium with the same shimming as above (mattes double shims in front, single in back) perfectly. I thought he would need the SR panels and he may eventually. But I am not going out and getting him a custom saddle until he fills out.

This guy has big shoulders, with the points laid way back, and an uphill topline - but he does not have a lot of hollow at the wither. That may come more with maturity. Unlike your horse, he is not done growing and withers have a way of becoming more prominent/hollow with maturity.

I have decided to consider a new Stubben Zaria when he matures. I am hearing rave reviews of that saddle from riders who ride a lot of tbs. I am unimpressed with County’s new monoflap, and I won’t go back to foam panels (Devoucoux) since I want a saddle fit to a particular horse. I miss the monoflap (Devoucoux).

If you are working with Jay you are in good shape. I have had several horses like this, but on top of everything I am also a narrow twist girl and my horses tend to be, er, wide.
Like Winding Down, I’ve had a county conquest for years - skid row panels for the horse, extra inch on the flap for me. Works great. For dressage I have had to change it up as my horses change, but I did have an Albion (one has a wide twist, another more narrow) for a while. Now I am in a frank Baines elegance which fits pony and me very well.

I have a TB built like yours as well. I bought a Antares Comfort Evolution for him - fit him great until he built up his top line. Now I am using my daughter’s antares evolution mono-flap which fits him great now. Unfortunately will be selling my antares.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;8643798]
OP, if you are looking for a dressage saddle, check out the Niedersuss. I just picked up a very nice older one for $500 and the medium fits my OTTB with a mattes pad, 2 shims in front, one in back, perfectly. It is a minimalist saddle but heck, who needs a bunch of knee roll or a deep seat on a greener horse?

My go to saddle for jumping is the County Conquest and my OTTB guy fits in a medium with the same shimming as above (mattes double shims in front, single in back) perfectly. I thought he would need the SR panels and he may eventually. But I am not going out and getting him a custom saddle until he fills out.

This guy has big shoulders, with the points laid way back, and an uphill topline - but he does not have a lot of hollow at the wither. That may come more with maturity. Unlike your horse, he is not done growing and withers have a way of becoming more prominent/hollow with maturity.

I have decided to consider a new Stubben Zaria when he matures. I am hearing rave reviews of that saddle from riders who ride a lot of tbs. I am unimpressed with County’s new monoflap, and I won’t go back to foam panels (Devoucoux) since I want a saddle fit to a particular horse. I miss the monoflap (Devoucoux).[/QUOTE]

I sat in County’s monoflap and was also very unimpressed. I hate large/obtrusive blocks and the ones on those hit my leg in all the wrong places.

Enzo’s hollows have definitely filled in now that he’s gained weight back, so I may be able to get away with a shim pad and not full wither gussets. We’ll see.

[QUOTE=Sulta;8644671]
I have a TB built like yours as well. I bought a Antares Comfort Evolution for him - fit him great until he built up his top line. Now I am using my daughter’s antares evolution mono-flap which fits him great now. Unfortunately will be selling my antares.[/QUOTE]

An Evolution is what I have and does not fit him, haha :slight_smile:

A MW one would probably fit him, but unfortunately I just can’t afford to have Antares replace the tree and panels on mine.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;8643798]

I have decided to consider a new Stubben Zaria when he matures. I am hearing rave reviews of that saddle from riders who ride a lot of tbs. I am unimpressed with County’s new monoflap, and I won’t go back to foam panels (Devoucoux) since I want a saddle fit to a particular horse. I miss the monoflap (Devoucoux).[/QUOTE]

This! I found my Niedersuss on Ebay for under $700. It fit my Arab cross and my TB really well. With the TB I needed a half pad, but I LOVE that saddle. I do wish it had a bit more forward flap, but for the price I paid, I’m keeping it.

I absolutely loved the Stubben Zaria monoflap. It fit my horse pretty well but sadly wasn’t forward enough for my leg. I actually picked up a Devoucoux at Rolex that seems to be a good fit for both myself and my TB, so fingers crossed. I am using a Wilker’s half pad (Ogilvy type) and that helped with the dips behind his shoulders. It also has the D3D 4+ system, which is supposedly built for horses like him.

I’ve had luck with Albion, Frank Baines, and Prestige fitting my similarly shaped horse super well. I liked the Albion Kontrol jump saddle a ton, despite the fact that I’m usually a french/forward balance type of jump saddle girl. The twist is a bit wider, but not uncomfortable (coming from someone who likes a real narrow twist!) and the balance is great. Unfortunately, I ordered my Kontrol in a 1/2 size smaller than I test rode and my leg is way too long for it, which screws up the entire rider balance in the saddle! But if you’re looking for a MW 17" barely used Albion Kontrol with FFG, hit me up :wink: