Unlimited access >

Saddle Suggestions for Simplicity and on Budget

TLDR: looking for suggestions on brands/models/makes that don’t have crazy blocks or deep seats for shorter-backed horses to look into for my 4yo.

I’m on the hunt for a saddle for my 4-year-old mare. She decided she hated all Schleese saddles (which I won’t get into), and of course, that was what I had from my last horse. It is listed and trying to be sold at the moment but until then, I’m on a limited budget looking for a new saddle for her.

I’m really trying to find a saddle for both of us that is simple. No crazy massive thigh blocks, like small to no blocks kinda deal, works with short-backed horses and no crazy deep seat that sucks you in. While she has not given me a reason to have to bail, I want to be able to bail easily if you catch my drift.

I know fit is subjective to each brand and saddle model, and you just gotta take em on trial and check the fit with a qualified fitter, but more asking what brands I should be taking a peek into that people like and to go from there. Mainly because all the brands I am familiar with are not in line with the simple features I am looking for (Custom, Schleese, CWD etc).

(If it helps, I know she is a 29/30cm in Stubben saddles, I take a 17.5 seat typically. My budget does not lend to the newer Stubben models she seemed liked, and we tried an older one and she immediately disliked it.)

1 Like

If a person is buying new semi custom high end saddles, they can request to configure the blocks in quite a wide range of options, and also choose different seat configurations. If you are buying second hand you are of course limited to the saddles other people ordered semi custom and then decided to get rid of, and since increasingly deep seats and huge blocks were very popular over the past decade they are doubtlessly over represented on the second hand market.

I really like my Passier, it’s a 2001 Optimum that I got shop worn but as new about 10 years ago. It’s new enough that it is a recognizably contemporary saddle, not the old pancake 1980s type.

You could also look at Country and Stubben.

You need to find the brand that has a tree that fits your horse, and then look for the seat configuration that you want

A lot of the UK brands make what you’re looking for and you’ll likely be able to find something used. A few that come to mind:

• Black Country
  • Smith Worthington
  • Frank Baines
  • Adam Ellis
  • Bliss/Locksley
2 Likes

What is your budget?

Sub 1k?
1 to 2k?

Being on a budget means different things to different people.

1 Like

Have you looked at the used sale saddles on the Stubben North America website?

We bought one from there once, for my husband and his horse, and it worked out great.

1 Like

Trying to be under 1300, if the old saddle sells it would help the budget but I know selling saddles sometimes can take forever.

Look at Finelinetack.com, they have used dressage saddles, maybe a couple close to your budget, also Pelham Saddlery. Also, Classic Saddlery has a line of adjustable saddles, I cannot comment on their quality but I have bought a couple saddles from Classic Saddlery with no issues (also has a used selection).

That’s a tough ask.

That said, what you’re looking for is the kind of saddle I prefer.

I have a Black Country Equinox (an endurance saddle that is very similar to the Vinici dressage saddle) that has miniscule blocks and a shallow seat. Fits my short-backed, wide-barreled horse and I got it from Pelham for $1000.

I no longer use it as I upgraded to an EQ Saddle Science saddle for her which we LOVE and that also matches your description, but those start at $5k. But maybe take a look at their classified ads - there might be something there that would work for you.

I would go with Thorowgood or kent and masters for that budget and your requirements.

7 Likes

That’s almost a textbook Wintec back. Grab a Pro or Isabell and either sell it on after for not a great loss or keep it for crappy weather, beach rides, etc. Or, if your horse likes it, deal with it for the rest of your life like I am :rofl: :joy: :joy: :rofl: (Honestly, I converted many years ago because the horses I ride tend to love them and also be the right shape for them)

3 Likes

Albion might be one to look at. They are great saddles and used ones can be had for cheap. They are wool flocked, so you can get them adjusted as needed, and they are a familiar enough brand that it should be easier to resell later, as opposed to something more obscure.

2 Likes

Wintec, Thorowgood, or Kent and Masters would probably fit that back - and be well within your budget! Plenty of used, flocked panel options from them on the market. I rode in a Thorowgood T8? The one with the leather like knees and seat (vs the suede). I liked it, decent balance and it was grippy despite the synthetic flaps.

I was coming here to say this or a used Fairfax.

I have a used Fairfax (17.5" seat) on my 14.3 Connermara cross who does not have a lot of real estate. Open seat, forward enough flap for my long femur and lots of options.

2 Likes

Your horse is built exactly like my horse for which the Albions were very good with her. They are very easy to find used and can easily find them under $2,000 if you have a budget. Plus they are wool so if you have a good fitter you can get them fitted. My Albion SLK with her short back fit her perfectly. Most of their models have very minimal blocks as well.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that with Wintec the blocks are removable so you be almost as flat as a ye olde Stübben Special. I like the blocks with my current horse but like nothing on really wide shouldered horses.

Pretty mare!
I hate saddles with blocks and deep seats.
Do you know if Stubben still makes their Romanus saddle? I’m seeing some used ones online tonight. I rode in a friend’s ages ago. Most comfortable dressage saddle I’ve ever ridden in.

Good luck finding a saddle that fits you and your mare!

1 Like

The best value saddle I always recommend to people is an Ideal Suzannah, but it doesn’t meet your pancake, no blocks requirement. They can often be had painfully cheaply for what they are, though.

If I was you, I’d reach out to Hastilow USA for a remote fitting. If their used inventory is as deep as it was a couple years ago, you might very well get a hit in your budget.

They stock quite a few of the brands recommended on this thread.

1 Like

Another vote for Albion and specifically the SLK if you are a ‘minimalist’. It’s a model I’ve gone back to over and over with a variety of horses - all breeds with shorter backs. I purchased my last one used though it was in near perfect condition for $900. That was last year.

They do exist, I’ve seen them, just not in our sizing sadly, I’ve been keeping my eyes out but not much has shown up.

1 Like