Unlimited access >

Saddle Suggestions for Simplicity and on Budget

Something older and used would fit the design and budget specs. I had a no frills County Competitor for my short backed, wide shouldered but narrow chested Morgan mare (fun to fit) and it was a dream to ride in the ring and hacking out. The Countys look really different today, but if you find one in good shape that’s 20ish years old, I’d bet it’s in your budget and the sort of simple design you want for yourself.

1 Like

I have and older Hastilow that I adore. The seat is a little big for me. I’m technically a 16.5" and it’s either a 17" or 17.5" but not a booster seat, so you have some space. I would consider parting with it if you wanted me to send you some photos - I’m not trying to advertise but it does sound like it checks a lot of your boxes and realistically I need something that fits me better now that we’re concentrating on higher level movements.

Another vote for Thorowgood or Kent & Masters. Loved the ones I had!

That would be great if you don’t mind!

1 Like

I bought two different dressage saddles from Classic Saddlery and both were in your budget and are well made for what they are. Wool flocked and one had adjustable gullet plates (all are included) and the other has the spectrum adjustable tree. I don’t know anyone else who has one but I love mine. I can had an independent fitter look at them and adjust the flocking. She was very impressed with the quality and fit.

1 Like

I have two of these. Both 17s one wide and one regular. I’ve used them for three years. Between the two i can ride on all the horses i take to dressage lessons.
https://www.statelinetack.com/item/equiroyal-newport-dressage-saddle-pkg/E002577/

Pelham Saddlery has a nice selection of used saddles. Spirigs, Roosli’s are in your ballpark
https://www.pelhamsaddlery.net/tack/dressagesaddle.html

I second this. I bought a used Albion SLK a few years back for 1100.00 and love it. Simple and fits a couple of my horses very well.

Lucky you! Have you had other horse people( trainers, fitters etc) tell you that you are going to ruin your horses with those cheap saddles?? I think the first saddle I ever( 1970’s) had was just like those and you know it seemed to fit every horse…

3 Likes

no. But i’m sure if i ever wander out into the show world no one will ever come ask me about my saddle! Or my boots, (what i wear are just knee length leather boots that fit well and feel good) Or my clothing. I’m not fancy.

My coach actually told me just this Saturday that my saddles are perfect. (and mentioned no bucket seat and kneee-she and i both prefer flat saddles…one of the many things we have in common) As far as Saddle fitters, i’ve so far only visited(and paid for!) with one: Scheese. And she said the one i had was alright. No movement compromise, but they would raise the stuffing(?) on back. I use a riser there anyway so…

2 Likes

My 4 yr old has a very similar back. He fit best in a Custom advantage older model with a pony panel.
I have a Harry Dabbs jump that fits well. Dabbs offers an upswept panel and wool flocking. Resized_20231104_114107

1 Like

Is your coach a certified saddle fitter?

2 Likes

no.

My saddle fitter has told me that his certification by the SMS explicitly forbids him from fitting or working on these saddles. Just something to consider if you ever wanted to have a saddle fitter out. Schleese are known to be quacks.

Not quite elated, but my fitter once bought a cheap saddle off eBay from some Indian distributor just to take apart and found a plastic bag and a pair of underwear in the panels.

7 Likes

I love that story about what your fitter found in the panels! It would make restuffing the panels more, shall we say, interesting.

Off-topic, but it reminded me of the time I found several pairs of women’s underwear and bras in a box containing historical pamphlets and other “ephemera” in Yale’s Sterling Library. Some people were having fun in the library!

2 Likes

oh. i didn’t want Schleese to work on it. I wanted them to see if they could fit me and my mare in one of their own saddles. I arrived in the arena with a naked mare for fitting and they asked me to go and put the saddle i was using on her and ride her around for a couple minutes. Then they gave their written critique of it. So, that’s how i found out it was alright. a little long, and too flat in the cantle end. (i didn’t put the riser on for the riding demo thing but i always use it in lessons). Anyway…for what i do and what my goals are, this is working fine for us (me and my horses).

1 Like

I had saw a very old Passier being restuffed and it was full of multi colored carpet fibers. Likely real wool. apparently this was a thing a very long time ago.

3 Likes

The SMS has never forbid anyone from working on certain brands of saddles. We do have a code of conduct which is a guideline about how to interact with other fitters and their work.

3 Likes

I have been VERY happy with my Arena Dressage Saddle.

My County Competitor was almost exactly what you’re wanting - the seat was deep enough to feel secure, but not to lock you in; the thigh blocks were not minimalist, but not huge either. I think mine was a late 90s model. They can be had pretty cheap these days, I think. The older County saddles were even more minimalist, but IIRC, a lot of them didn’t have gusseted panels and might not work with your guy.

1 Like