Unlimited access >

Saddles Decorations: Piping, Bling, Cantle

Nice! I like it!

I bought a used County with chestnut piping. It honestly would not have been my preference were I ordering new, but hey, significant savings on a very nice saddle! Everyone else seems to love it and I get a ton of compliments on it–probably because it matches my chestnut mare :slight_smile: It seems to be holding up well (IIRC it’s a 2016 but looks practically new), but I think it’s not quite the same as some of the colored leathers, since it’s basically the same leather as my jump saddle is made out of.

1 Like

I have a black Fichtbauer dressage saddle, with a baroque tooled leather (black) on the cantle, with white piping in patent, and a silver thread. It is gorgeous!!! I got a matching girth, stirrup leathers that have the same silver thread in a diamond pattern, and … stirrups made by Holly Spagnola. Yes, I am insane (but to be fair they were a gift).

And I haven’t left the farm in a few years … HA!

I wouldn’t worry at all about resale on yours or mine.

3 Likes

That does sound nice!

Good point that perhaps piping in a traditional leather color might wear a bit better!

Seems like several posters have bought used saddles with piping that they might not have ordered themselves but didn’t stop them from buying it used!

That is very lovely! Fun but still elegant!

Thanks for sharing the link to those stirrups! I might share the link with Santa Claus!

The size configuration of the saddle the horse and I need is uncommon at best. I searched fairly extensively and couldn’t find anything used. I figure if I do have to resell, the prospective buyer is going to be far more interested in the sizing than any piping!

1 Like

Will patent leather crack after a while, I’m assuming you can’t condition it? That said I do like patent or color trim, contrast stitching, and the cantle with a print or blinged with crystals. I have a bridle coming with patent inserts on the flash and the poll of the bridle. I went with patent in this case because I can easily wipe it but I hope it doesn’t dry out and crack.

The stirrups are WOW, I wish they had a fancy rose gold saddle plate.

Dunno about the patent.

But! The swanky saddle linked further up has pretty rose gold saddle plates!

2 Likes

Patent leather can crack over time…think shoes, purses, perhaps nosebands and other parts that bend a lot. On cantle it should last a long time as it gets no real wear and tear. Can be conditioned with oil or vaseline.

Back in my driving days, my carriage had a patent leather dash. It never cracked, but was a bit less than perfect as it was on the receiving end of anything that flew up from the horse’s feet, bugs etc. Also - most of its life was stored outside under a tarp. I’ll wager most tack with patent leather gets better storage and care, lol.
@starsandsun - I want to know where I can find someone who would gift me $400 horse stuff!!!

2 Likes

Here is my brown/stingray/blue piped cantle.

5 Likes

I ordered a Custom Wolfgang a few years ago. The blue piping did not hold up and the blue “crock” print on the cantel faded to an off-blue/pale/ mess. In fact the entire saddle is faded… I understand that happens to Customs. Still not a happy camper/

2 Likes

Pretty! What texture is that in the cantle?

I saw these saddle jewels on a website the other day. They are a way to add a little bling or color without having worry about it fading and giving you the ability to remove it if you want to go bling-less for something.

2 Likes

Oof. I wouldn’t be terribly happy with the whole saddle fading in just a few years either!

It’s black stingray.

Nice!

Those are so cool! Affordable too! Thank you for sharing!!

1 Like

I was trying to justify needing one. They look like so much fun.

It’s new, but I think I am going to paint the piping a darker blue, it’s a bit much.

i find high cantles horrible to ride in and i guess that’s why i wouldn’t want to wear the look. On other people though: too much is not enough! So why not do patent leather with crimson piping (i like being wowed- sort of like watching a red-carpet program)

I had a couple Customs; was not happy generally with their quality. Had to get a seat recovered after only 3 years, wrinkles in the seat, etc.

2 Likes