Unlimited access >

Saddles Decorations: Piping, Bling, Cantle

Oh sorry was replying to another poster about fading after a few years!

Another poster up thread mentioned she had painted her piping. Maybe she has some tricks to share!

Out of curiosity, did you send back to Custom for the seat recover or have another saddler / leather worker do it?

No I did not send it to Custom; my fitter, though a Custom rep at the time, gave me the name of a woman in Alabama who turned it around in quite a fast time and did a great job. She charged me $600, well below what Custom would have charged. It was several years ago - maybe 4 now. I dont remember her name but I could get it pretty easily if you are interested.

I had a Custom Saddlery with purple piping and patent cantle. It was in steady use for a couple years then infrequent use before i sold it ~5yrs after getting it (stopped riding the horse it was for.) The cantle & piping both held up great. The patent on the noseband & the bedazzled browband is simultaneously been using for that horse both showed scuffs & loose beads, but there’s not really a scenario where I had the cantle of my saddle propped or brushing against anything, so it remained scuff-free easily.

I’d been warned against shiny or metallic piping colors (not from or by Custom- just for saddles in general) since word had it the finish would wear off faster than flat colors. Over the years I’ve also seen a handful of different saddle brands that lost the rhinestones along the cantle panel trim. The latter didn’t matter to me in my saddle selection (not my style) but part of the saddle trim considerations.

I am actually quite interested. PM if you like!

Pretty! I love purple!

I love a nice cantle design and a bit of going there. Personally I’m partial to the quilted look. It’s subtle but really pretty.

1 Like

Thank you for cluing me into this website, I think that I am in LOVE!!!

1 Like

I don’t care for bling, but getting a new saddle and I thought I should opt for something. I, too, heard that silver/gray piping was painted on and wore off.

I opted for Black Cherry Croc cantle, Black Cherry Croc piping in the front only, and Black Cherry stirrup leather keeper.

I figure that was subtle enough. Wish I had better pix –

4 Likes

I love that crocodile leather. I sure hope I can get it.

Interestingly I’m also attracted to some wine type colors. I’m glad you shared yours pics, very similar. I like yours lots!

I think I’ve settled on black croc and chestnut piping. So excited!

9 Likes

Once when I was scribing, a rider had a colored cantal. The judge made some comment about have the flashy color made it easy to see when the rider/saddle was uneven.

2 Likes

I know not everyone is this way, but I sort of throw that in the pile with the people who say you shouldn’t polish the inside of your boots because it makes them more slippery. If it truly makes that much of a difference, the problem isn’t really the boots (or saddle in this case).

2 Likes

A gal at my barn just got a new saddle with the black croc cantle panel and it’s gorgeous.

2 Likes

I’m pretty excited about mine! Granted it’s gonna take a bit to be made and shipped but I am so looking forward to it!

I’m hoping the croc will be fun without being too loud. I debated about getting any colored piping but hope it will set the croc of nicely. I admit I stared at @reefy pics for a long time before making up my mind!

It was so generous of everyone to share their pictures in this thread and I’m very grateful!

3 Likes

Now I’m having second thoughts about the piping. I might like a wine / burgundy color piping better!!!
I’m so indecisive

My Loxley has burgundy piping. I love it.

3 Likes

Gorgeous! Love it!