Unlimited access >

Saddles for super wide horse?

Where do people find saddles for super wide horses? My friend’s horse is a 2XW in the Wintec WIDE easy change gullet system. I found out yesterday that only the Wintec WIDE saddles of which there are only the all purpose or the dressage should have these installed. She would love to find a stock type saddle, but Wintec does not make these in wide.

I’ve had two of that type of horse: one was table-topped, 17.3hh Percheron. A Duett fit her beautifully.

Second was my Clydesdale/Standardbred cross mare. She was short-coupled, WIDE with shoulders the size of Texas. The only saddle that ever fit her was a custom County Perfection in W/XW.

However, since this person is wanting a “stock type” saddle, have her look into DP Saddlery Adjustable Saddles | DP Saddlery | United States (dp-saddlery.com)

They have fantastic options and can handle the wide-body

1 Like

A true english-made saddle with a hoop tree.
Not the french ones, not the brands carried by Greenhawk or Dover.

Best brand I’ve found for my CHONKS that fits amazingly well, wears well, and rides well is an Exselle. The model I’ve owned is the “Debut” which is a close contact/jumping saddle.
Even in a stamped Medium, they fit very wide.
Also, they are wool flocked which makes adjustments easy. Our local County Rep can adjust flocking in these ones.
I actually have one for sale right now that I used on my sofa of a welsh pony cross.

2 Likes

Is she open to a treeless option? Ansur would have an option or two, but I know treeless can still make some folks recoil. I’ve been riding in various Ansur saddles for almost two decades and the newer designs with the gullet are incredible.

They’re not cheap, but there’s a fairly active Facebook group for used sales.

1 Like

Duett was a great fit for my mare shaped like a barrel. For my rounder QH a Thorowgood has proved to be a great choice.

1 Like

It depends. I really like the Thorowgood and Kent and Masters cob lines for table top horses.

Duett work well but if she wants to try a treeless saddle, I test rode in a ghost saddle and loved it.

1 Like

For him being so physically sensitive to EVERYTHING, he definitely does better with a tree distributing rider weight so unfortunately a treeless wouldn’t work.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions!

Is there anything besides all purpose/dressage for this build though? She prefers western/stock saddles to english.

Does your friend’s horse know you’re posting this? You said he’s sensitive. Yeah, he might really get his feelings hurt with this topic title. Instead of super wide, maybe “Super fabulously proportioned for maximum awesomeness”?

6 Likes

Ah you definitely should have specified. This board defaults to English, and with the Wintecs in your OP I think we all assumed dressage or jumping! Though they do make western and Aussie saddles.

You may want to post in the western board, but maybe someone here will have ideas.

1 Like

I have a Rocky Mountain mare who is built in a really roly-poly way - she’s short but manages to be both broad and round, and a very challenging saddle fit. Crestridge Saddlery was terrific for her, and they were helpful by phone and email as well. They kinda specialize in mules and are good with the hard-to-fit types. My mare’s trail saddle is very handsome and it’s comfortable for me as well. Give them a look. http://www.crestridgesaddlery.com

1 Like

Here’s DP Saddlery’s Western offerings

Western Saddle | DP Saddlery LP | Fort Mitchell, AL (dp-saddlery.com)

1 Like

Thank you!

I ride english and forget there is a western board here! Will try there. The Wintec western and stock saddles do not take the extra wide gullets which her horse needs… she would have been perfectly happy with Wintec Stock Saddle but confirmed directly from Wintec that the extra wide gullets should only be placed in WIDE saddles. They only make WIDE AP/Dressage.

Hahahaha, good one!

2 Likes

Synergist makes a really wide custom in several different styles.

1 Like

I have a Big Horn Draft Cross that my QH goes in and my mare ( who has actually developed a wither at 19+) who I try and keep on the leaner side , is doing ok in a South Bend Pawnee Trail Saddle made for a Haflinger

Got both of them through Horse Saddle Shop.

Especially in Western getting tracings is almost a given.

1 Like

Mine XXXW mare who has been compared to saddling a propane tank liked the Duett but it was too wide for me. The saddle that makes both of us super happy is the EQ Saddle Science Encore. It takes a bit to get used to how it looks but it feels fantastic to ride, my mare loves it, and the science is sound. You said your friend is looking for more stock type saddle so you could look at the Reactor Panel saddles which is the same tech but more of an endurance bend. They can be customized and one option is big front bumps that look a lot like the pulleys on a stock saddle and function similarly.

Good luck! Saddle hunting for the super wide is challenging.

1 Like

Hello!

I asked for help not too long ago for saddles for a wide horse! I’m pleased with my Thorowgood Cob!

But my husband wanted a western saddle, Crestridge worked out great for us! Stagecoach West Gypsy saddle was also suggested as well.

Good luck!

1 Like

After riding in a loner for a few months, we just got our very own Bob Marshall which is a treeless! We rode in a Wintec Wide AP with the largest gullet size prior to the Bob, and it’s obvious to me he prefers the treeless.

It doesn’t make training rides any less tiring though…

2 Likes