Unlimited access >

Saddleseat Myths...haters need to read this.

OP, to say it doesn’t happen is just plain old BS. I’ve seen the compression shoeing, the tail sets the horses have to LIVE in, the stacks, the “action” rigs and chains all applied to the Saddlebred breed. This I have seen up close and in person. The other stuff, except for maybe the thing about the saddles, I have seen evidence of. You sound more like you’re trying to convince yourself, and if you want to live with your head in the sand, that’s your business. I have a Saddlebred facility not far from where I am where the horses NEVER get out to see the light of day unless they are going to a show. Why do you suppose that is? Do you pretend that they somehow evolved away from the rest of the horse species to exist in the dark? I am sure some Saddlebreds exist outside of the abuse…I knew someone who used one for foxhunting after purchasing him because he wouldn’t take to the “big-lick” crap, and he was in fact an apt and willing jumper. But most people who are going to do other disciplines look elsewhere for other breeds, which is why your breed registrations are so low. If they were in demand for something besides saddleseat riding and its often associated abuses, your registration numbers would be much higher, both before and after the market downturn. Some other breeds have made an attempt to move horses into other disciplines/markets to get away from the “prancing peacock” image and get a more humane aspect going for the horses and the humans. From what many people can see, your breed has not, and sometimes even if the shoe doesn’t fit, it gets worn anyway no matter how painful it is.

One thing I have to say about the old guy is he may fly around like a kite on the end of the lead when he’s around firecrackers etc but he never has just run for the hills.

To the OP, you defend against nothing when you post like that. That whole argument re that the ASB packages are different from the TWH packages and therefor somehow better and not harmful in any way to the horse, not like those nasty TWH people, is so obviously a diversion from the harm they do cause. Everytime I pick feet I get to look at a foot that’s been deformed by a package and band and isn’t recovering to my satisfaction.

I stay out of the whole show horse ownership deal at my trainer’s. She’s nice, she treats her horses very well within certain parameters, and those parameters don’t suit me and my feelings about good horse care. I’m not fond of quite a few show horse practices in any discipline either.

Yes, it wasn’t explained to me very well, but yes, one pad on his front foot. It was probably a centimeter thick at the most, and how it was explained was how it put it first, he isn’t the same in his leg length. It was on when we got him, and we soon took it off, no change in animation.

Well, there are bad trainers in every discipline. The abuse sights you saw would never occur to any horse around here. :slight_smile: look everyone, this is my opinion. It’s what I’ve seen and expirenced for 8 years. So if you don’t like it, okay, I completely respect your opinion. :slight_smile:

It is not that we don’t like your opinion.

It is simply a case of personal observation of the “rest of the facts”.

This is not an invitation to flame but a question from someone whose entire experience has been in eventing, H/J, dressage, hunting, and a smidge of polo and who finds the videos of saddle seat equitation somewhat alien:

What is the origin and purpose of the discipline as described and demonstrated in recognized competition?

I understand the origins, purpose, and benefits of dressage for every horse; the origins and purpose of eventing as originally developed and why it has changed to the present format; the foxhunting origins of H/J and evolution to a very different sport.

What is the ultimate goal of saddle seat? I know smooth gaited horses were very sensible mounts for riding long hours on plantations, but what is today’s discipline about? Does it have a training goal related to the horse’s athletic development (like dressage)? Is it more of an aesthetic endeavor, like showing purebred dogs?

This is a completely alien sport for an Area II horsey boarding school dressage lady turned bat$hit-crazy eventer.

I’m just curious… did this thread all of a sudden come about because of the issue on facebook of someone posting a beautiful painting of a Saddlebred, and another person was bashing her for it because she thought it was a TWH?

IMO this type of thread only brings more negative light to the Saddlebred industry. There is no reason to post something that sounds so defensive and sorry… kind of whiny. Anyone that has read my posts here knows I am a huge supporter of Saddlebreds (Own 3 and my mom has 2), Saddle Seat and showing. However, making a thread like this for no apparent reason doesn’t really help others to “like” us or to support Saddlebreds. Just saying…

For my 40th birthday I asked people to donate to a horse rescue in lieu of gifts. We then went to New Holland the next Monday and bought this guy out of the kill pen. He was quickly adopted. I share this not to bash the breed or the discipline further but to show that I like them enough to choose to save one.

Happy2.jpg

Laurierace: Thanks! :slight_smile:

what?? no word from Fairfax yet?

[QUOTE=Laurierace;7396984]

For my 40th birthday I asked people to donate to a horse rescue in lieu of gifts. We then went to New Holland the next Monday and bought this guy out of the kill pen. He was quickly adopted. I share this not to bash the breed or the discipline further but to show that I like them enough to choose to save one.[/QUOTE]

Those ears look kind of strange.
Do they modify/train ears also, like cut tails with harnesses and feet with pads?:confused:

Those ears kind of look like a dobie’s cut and trained ears so they stand up a certain way.

Good for you to give one more horse a place to thrive.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dispatcher;7397149]
what?? no word from Fairfax yet?[/QUOTE]

Why would we care?

One could argue that few, if any, of the modern disciplines have a “purpose” anymore. It’s just sport that evolved from a need. I don’t see saddleseat any differently than I view modern day eventing, hunters, or dressage horses in terms of “why.” Grand Prix dressage horses aren’t used out in cavalry maneuvers (neither are eventers for that matter), and very few top show hunters actually fox hunt.

[QUOTE=RubyTuesday;7397167]
Why would we care?[/QUOTE]

well, we don’t. But I thought for sure he would chime in since he owns so many Saddlebreds.

Just as well… :lol:

waves Hello from a DQ who is smack in the middle of Saddle Seat (I’m sorry I’ve been spelling it wrong!) country and learning to embrace it!

I will admit that I always aligned Saddlebreds with the TWH people, until I met my friend and her ADORABLE Warren. I thought that they were ugly and crazy and just generally pointless.

I have to say that I’m SO happy that I’ve opened my mind to them. I’ve aligned myself with some real horsemen who are friendly, willing to answer my countless questions, and happy to throw me feet first into the breed. CoTH has been a great resource as well. It’s to the point now where I’m considering crossing my Danish mare with a Saddlebred for my next personal mount because I think that the breed’s characteristic could improve her in many, MANY positive ways.

I understand that many unsavory things go on in the Saddle Seat world. I’m not naive. I chose to do my research and get in with people who don’t use the practices that I don’t agree with. No one breed group is perfect, they all have people who do things that I don’t agree with, but I’m happy to learn and promote the people who don’t do these things in hopes that the unsavory characters will be less and less.

I would encourage EVERYBODY to do as I did (and am doing) and open yourself up to the world. Just a tiny bit. :yes:

[QUOTE=Bluey;7397156]
Those ears look kind of strange.
Do they modify/train ears also, like cut tails with harnesses and feet with pads?:confused:

Those ears kind of look like a dobie’s cut and trained ears so they stand up a certain way.

Good for you to give one more horse a place to thrive.:)[/QUOTE]

Those ears are natural, and characteristic of the breed. The hooked ears are like the kink in a Siamese tail - just happens that way in that breed.

Years ago, like in the 40s & 50s they would trim ears if they were too big, much like a dobe. That was banned decades ago. Even if you wanted it done, I doubt you could find anyone who still knew how. As selective breeding has refined their heads, ears have gotten smaller.

[QUOTE=mvp;7395447]

If it means your trainer cuts tails, do you endorse that (with your checkbook)? Why?[/QUOTE]

MVP, of course I endorse it with my checkbook. Do you think I’m going canoeing with a 70+ trainer? Most horsemen don’t age well :disgust:

I worked at a saddle seat barn for a day. It was going to be half a day, but my dad convinced me to finish what I’d started and work out the day. Oh yeah, those tails were cut. And the horses were on stacks. And had action devices on their ankles, and were wrapped with something on their legs. They had tires in their stalls so they couldn’t lay down, and to make them potty in certain spots. They were trained with surgical tubing attached to their front legs to strengthen their shoulders and make them lift more. I couldn’t handle it, so one day was enough.

I ride TWH now, at a TWH barn. There are no horses on stacks here, some horses are shown flat shod but mostly the focus is trail riding and trail challenges, and now distance rides. There are no set tails, no action devices, and very few are even ridden in a walking horse bit, including when shown.

This just shows that saying it’s all depending on breed is incorrect- it’s the trainers and owners who make the difference. There’s good and bad in all breeds.

[QUOTE=GoneAway;7397179]
One could argue that few, if any, of the modern disciplines have a “purpose” anymore. It’s just sport that evolved from a need. I don’t see saddleseat any differently than I view modern day eventing, hunters, or dressage horses in terms of “why.” Grand Prix dressage horses aren’t used out in cavalry maneuvers (neither are eventers for that matter), and very few top show hunters actually fox hunt.[/QUOTE]

The only disciplines/uses that actually have a purpose are cow horses, Amish horses, work horses (logging, fields, etc) and a big maybe on fox hunters. Everything is else is pretty pointless, unless the point is ‘my horse is better than yours’.

[QUOTE=red mares;7397245]
Those ears are natural, and characteristic of the breed. The hooked ears are like the kink in a Siamese tail - just happens that way in that breed.

Years ago, like in the 40s & 50s they would trim ears if they were too big, much like a dobe. That was banned decades ago. Even if you wanted it done, I doubt you could find anyone who still knew how. As selective breeding has refined their heads, ears have gotten smaller.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the answer, very interesting.:eek: