Unlimited access >

Safety Stirrups for Adult Beginners

Hi Everyone,

Well here it goes: My first post! I am an adult beginner who at 55 years old recently decided that it was now or never if I am going to learn to ride.
So in Mid-February I researched barns (luckily I live near many great equestrian facilities) and found myself a wonderful facility with talented trainers and amazing horses. I began taking English riding lessons twice a week. I am quite tall 5’8” with long legs so I began with a wise and sweet older gelding who stood 17hh and he took great care of me. I found I enjoyed riding and was moved up to a more lively 17hh mare. She is a little lazy at first, but is a great horse who helped me with my posting trot, with and without stirrups, and my first canter, lots of flat work, ground poles and cavaletti. After about three weeks, I purchased my first saddle, Fillis stirrup irons and leathers. I found that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE riding and I have moved up to a very athletic 17.2 hands former champion Warmblood gelding. He is a gem and I have just started jumping cross rails.

My trainer suggested that I should get new hinged safety stirrups so that I will not get dragged if I fall. I have fallen once in my first 4 months of riding and luckily my feet slipped right out of my fillis irons no problems and no injury thanks to the nice footing in the arena where I ride, but of course I understand the need to take safety seriously.

So finally here is my question:
Free Jump Soft Up Pro or Tech Venice Stirrups?
What have you tried?
What do you like?
What’s best for an adult rider?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

I have the Tech Venice ones. I like that they have a wide footbed and are heavier. Not a fan of lightweight irons.

I do have to say, they make me feel a lot safer than regular irons.

1 Like

We have both in our family, the tech stirrups are nice, a good weight, nice wide footbed and you can run them up when you finish riding. I’ve seen them work and I’m happy with my nearly 8 year old jumping in them.
Both of us have freejumps. I remove mine each time I ride otherwise I have to fold them over my saddle or get knocked in the legs carrying my saddle. They’re comfortable to ride in and help my not so amazing knees.

1 Like

I am impressed at the speed you are progressing. A true beginner age 55, and you are going walk trot canter and starting jumps after 3 months? How many lessons a week are you taking?

I’m also surprised you bought your own saddle to use on the school horses. What kind of saddle did you get? How are you dealing with getting it to fit all the different horses?

2 Likes

I agree that a horse should have its own saddle and not have different saddles not fitted to them put on.

For safety stirrups we use the plastic cage that goes on normal stirrups. We do cross it over the saddles as you cannot run them up the leathers as usual.

2 Likes

I just have the old type of safety stirrups, the ones with the elastic on the side over the hook. They are cheap to buy these days, because they are old, and I presume “out of fashion”. They are fine. And there is no issue about not being able to run them up, they run up just like any other stirrup. I actually just bought mine new last year, from a tack store dumping them. You can sometimes still find them at tack sales. They are a good idea to use, for the purpose your coach mentioned, really for everyone, no matter how long they have been riding. I have been riding competitively for 55 years. Scary, huh? I have other sets of stirrups on other saddles that are not safety stirrups, some flexible ones, and some offset ones, and I like both of these too. Both are also old now. You will find that fashions change quickly in the horse world, new styles take over and are touted as the “greatest thing” each time. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. You decide what you want to use, and be happy with that.

Welcome to the world of horsemanship and COTH.

I just have the old type of safety stirrups, the ones with the elastic on the side over the hook. They are cheap to buy these days, because they are old, and I presume “out of fashion”. They are fine. And there is no issue about not being able to run them up, they run up just like any other stirrup. I actually just bought mine new last year, from a tack store dumping them. You can sometimes still find them at tack sales. They are a good idea to use, for the purpose your coach mentioned, really for everyone, no matter how long they have been riding. I have been riding competitively for 55 years. Scary, huh? I have other sets of stirrups on other saddles that are not safety stirrups, some flexible ones, and some offset ones, and I like both of these too. Both are also old now. You will find that fashions change quickly in the horse world, new styles take over and are touted as the “greatest thing” each time. Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t. You decide what you want to use, and be happy with that.

Welcome to the world of horsemanship and COTH.

I just have the old style ones with the elastic that goes over the hook at the side. I just bought them last year, they are not fashionable any more, a local tack store was dumping them, and I had a fit of conscience that I really should be using them. They are fine, and run up just like any other stirrup. I have other sets of stirrups on other saddles that I have been using for years, flexible ones, and offset ones, and I like both of those too, but they are not safety stirrups. I’ve never been dragged in 50 years of riding, but there is always the possibility if the first time. I’ve seen it happen a couple of times. You will find that fashion changes quickly in the horse world, the “latest and greatest” inventions are offered each year, you can either buy into that, or not, your choice. Welcome to the world of horsemanship, and to COTH.

2 Likes

I do understand that the spine of each horse is different and the need for a properly fitted saddle. In retrospect I used a school saddle on the first horse I rode and did not purchase my saddle until my instructor suggested it. I have used it on just two horses.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight and the welcome!

Three months at twice a week is about 25 hours in the saddle.

I am an adult returning rider myself (I have been back in the saddle 12 years now) and I get to see a lot of adult returning riders, adult beginners, and also beginner teens and kids. I have never heard of anyone being able to ride safely and coherently after that short a period, let alone jump, except maybe exceptional athletes and perhaps local movie stunt men who need to train for a role!

What exactly are you doing? Are you cantering and jumping, or just trotting into the cross rails? I ask because this timeline is so short, I worry that you are being pushed and encouraged to do things that aren’t safe for you yet, because you don’t have an independent seat.

IME, an adult beginner on a twice a week schedule might be riding independently in six months to a year, but will still have a shaky seat.

If you really have progressed that quickly, what exercises have helped? What do you do in a typical lesson? Can you ride without stirrups? I’m genuinely curious because this is so far out of the norm, that if you really are going walk trot canter jump after 3 months, your instructor must have some great techniques we all need to hear about!!

I don’t have any stirrup recommendations since I always rode in Fillis irons most of the time but I’m glad you finally have a chance to take lessons and are having such a great time. Have fun!

2 Likes

Not to derail but you are like a dog with a bone. Most women who start riding later in life or re-ride are out of shape and timid. Maybe the OP is none of those things.

OP no advice on safety stirrups as I never use them but enjoy riding!

8 Likes

Just really curious. If the OP is a natural athlete, really fit, etc., then that’s great to hear.

Thank you for your thoughtful questions. In the beginning I did hours of posting trot with and without stirrups. I am secure in the seat without stirrups at a walk or trot only. I am also going to the gym 3-4 times per week for strength training and cardio. Tomorrow is my first core Pilates class, so that will be interesting. Last week was my first time jumping cross-rails so I am mostly just doing a fast trot to a jumping position and release for small little jump (hop) over the rails about 9 or so inches off the ground. I hope to be strong and steady enough to be doing “real” jumping soon; but I am well aware that since I did not discover riding 30 or 40 years sooner, I won’t be great 😐. I think my trainer is taking her time. However one trainer there does seem to be a bit pushy, but luckily I have only had to deal with her a couple of times. The two horses I ride have huge canters, the wider, heavier horse has a massive, floaty stride while the slimmer horse has a choppier canter. Both are great and listen to me and I feel steady in the seat. The horses are so funny and smart that when I was first learning to tack up they actually shake their heads “no” at me if I approach them with something incorrect like holding a bridle incorrectly or a martingale backwards! LOL. Yeah I know, stupid beginner 🙄

I really enjoy your insight, so any advice or guidance is appreciated!

2 Likes

Ok that all sounds very positive and you clearly have a great coach. Jumping from trot makes sense. I see lots of kiddies in a mediocre lesson program flopping around at the canter and jumping before they have the balance for it.

Absolutely the core strength work will really help you too!

2 Likes

Ignore the nit-picking about owning a saddle before you own a horse! When you are riding similar types of horses, it is entirely possible to find something that fits all of them in a manageable way, particularly with so many half pad options out there. If your trainer thinks it is fine for the horses you are using, and it is comfortable and balanced for you, it can make good sense to have your own! Lesson saddles can be slippery, or the wrong size, etc . . . , and having your own that you are comfortable in can help your learning curve. It is great that your progress has been so rapid.

The “best” stirrup for you will depend on what feels good to you - some people like the lighter weight ones, some people can’t stand it. Some people like the wide foot bed, some people don’t. Take advantage of the trial offers and return periods and see which ones feel best for you!

3 Likes

May I also suggest a safety vest? I have ridden 20 years and showed for most of that. I am 68 and no longer show, but I do ride and jump. I purchased a hard-shell Tipperary vest two years ago for additional safety. It is not the inflatable kind. I find it comfortable though a bit hot in Florida. Just a thought for additional protection -

2 Likes

I’m a re-rider, spent about 12 years out of the saddle. I got FreeJumps last week (the “lite” ones for kids - if I had it back, I’d prob order the grown up size, but I think they’re okay for my foot size/body weight). I’ve tried several other stirrups, and didn’t like anything else but regular fillis irons. I LOVE the FreeJumps - I swear they reduced my knee and ankle fatigue. They are a little lighter, but not too light, and they hang right there, so if you were to lose a stirrup, you wouldn’t have to turn it with your foot to get it back. And the footbed is super grippy, and it has the flexible arm, so hopefully will let go of the foot in a fall.

Also - I was jumping in my first lesson back, after all those years away. Didn’t really want to be, solved that problem by getting a baby thoroughbred shortly thereafter, haha. Enjoy your newfound love of riding, it sounds like you are in a great program and have found some really lovely horses.

1 Like

I can’t advise you about which brand to buy, but If you prefer a regular weight stirrup this type is popular: https://marystack.com/foot-free-safety-stirrup-irons/