Unlimited access >

SALES ADVICE: Looking for an agent/rider to sell my horse

I’d like some recommendations for good trainers/riders/sales agents. Either Eventing or Jumping. Preferably in the South East, but can ship. Looking for someone who will be proactive about selling. Thanks for any input!

I guess I am confused. A campaign suggests a plan to an end in mind, but the query suggests that a sales agent who would show. A great deal depends on how much $$$$$ you want for the horse and how much time you want to take doing it. There are plenty of capable people who can sell the horse but I think the question needs more focus.

I suppose campaign was the wrong word. I am looking for someone who can build up a show record for a horse as well as offer him for sale. I don’t really know how else to explain it…? This is my first time selling a horse as I am more of a lifetime person. He was supposed to be my next UL Jumper mount until I got sick and was told no more riding. Whenever I show, I see pro riders who are riding and advertising horses they are selling for other people. I need someone who will do that…not just sell him, but also keep him in work and keep him showing. Does that make sense?

do you have a trainer, you work with? or did you train yourself??

OP, you are describing what most upper end agents do. You need to set a budget about how much/what kind of showing you want to have done, but all the agents will keep the horse in work and establish a show record. I agree that your trainer should be helpful. Where the horse goes depends on the market you are seeking. You want a trainer/agent that sells to the market that buys horses for the discipline and price range you have in mind.

If the horse does not sell fast, you are on the hook for all expenses, training, board, shoes, vets, showing, transportation, commissions…I always wonder if there is anything left for the seller. Also, your horse will need to have an impeccable temperament if the sale is potentially to ammies. Those ones do sell if the agent is sincerely trying to sell the animal.

@Manni01 - I had a trainer, but after my doctors told me I couldn’t ride, she wanted me to basically give away my horse to another one of her students for a price in the 4-figures. I told her I wouldn’t do that because he was bought not to long ago as a mid 5-figure horse, which was actually a steal as he is extremely talented. She then told me to get out of her barn if I wasn’t going to do what she wanted, so now I am trying to sell him on my own.

Ironwood Farm - See my reply to Manni01 re. my trainer situation. I’m not sure if this is too much info to share on here - not trying to promote him or anything - but he is very close to being able to go Grand Prix in jumping and Prelim+ in Eventing. Can do hunters/EQ, etc. My price is in the low to mid 5-figures, as his show record isn’t really extensive. I have him with an agent now, but he is not being marketed and has only been shown once in 4 months. That’s why I’m trying to find someone who will be more proactive and will get his show record going…just looking for a few good recommendations. Thank you!

Where in SE? I know of a few. One is in FL right now for 6 weeks

FL/GA area, but will gladly ship further to the right agent if they have a good reputation. :slight_smile:

Send me PM with email and I will give you her information. She may be full but could perhaps give a referral. She is showing my horse he isn’t being sold just needs exposure.

Try Zeb Fry in north GA. She does everything you’ve stated you want to be done. www.littlekentuckyfarm.com

You do realize you will be putting the horse in training until he sells?

[QUOTE=findeight;7966813]
You do realize you will be putting the horse in training until he sells?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and as long as you are paying those training fees, the trainer/seller may not be particularly motivated to sell.

I learned this the hard way when I was trying to sell my mare about the time the horse market tanked and hay/feed prices went through the roof. The trainer was miraculously able to sell 8 of her own horses, but not my mare.

I eventually found a potential buyer myself and went to watch the trainer present my mare. She had one of her students ride her who had not ridden her previously. It was not pretty.

Anyway, I never sold the mare and am happy to have her now, but that’s not the point. The point is, you need to be very clear that you want the horse SOLD, and you have to trust the trainer to put forth his/her best effort to do so.

Not sure of the best way to go about that, maybe set a time frame (say 3 or 6 months), and if the horse isn’t sold by then, move on?

[QUOTE=Miss Anne Thrope;7966881]

Not sure of the best way to go about that, maybe set a time frame (say 3 or 6 months), and if the horse isn’t sold by then, move on?[/QUOTE]

It’s what some people do with realtors - sign a contract for x time, and tell them outright that if house isn’t sold, they’ll switch to another realtor.
And in a realtor’s case, they’re not even getting paid until they sell!

[QUOTE=Coanteen;7966908]
It’s what some people do with realtors - sign a contract for x time, and tell them outright that if house isn’t sold, they’ll switch to another realtor.
And in a realtor’s case, they’re not even getting paid until they sell![/QUOTE]

Yeah, lucky for sellers their houses don’t eat, poop and randomly try to buck off or otherwise show off their issues when being presented to buyers.

[QUOTE=findeight;7967188]
Yeah, lucky for sellers their houses don’t eat, poop and randomly try to buck off or otherwise show off their issues when being presented to buyers.[/QUOTE]

I assume any known issues would be already disclosed by the honest seller/agent, so showing them off would not be a deal breaker for the buyer :wink:

findeight - yes, certainly. He is currently in training with an agent/ULR, but is not being ridden, advertised, or shown. Obviously, I am not happy about that…I am very willing to pay for training/boarding/sales, etc, but need someone who will actually do what I’m paying for.

I would see if Lisa smit at breviary equestrian center is still doing consignment training…she is in Florida

Unless he is a very high priced animal, sometimes it is better to cut your losses and sell him for a very reduced price locally … at least it is your money, and not lost in commissions, training, board. Time is money.
Every month saved in board is $ in your pocket.