Unlimited access >

Samshield or GPA?

Hi!

I’m an Eventer and looking into buying a new helmet. Yesterday I went to Dover and tried on the GPA Speed Air and the Samshield Shadow Matte. They did not have the GPA in a 7, they only had a 7 1/8 so they ordered a 7 from a Dover nearby for me to try on. I liked the fit of both the GPA and the Samshield. The Samshield was very snug and did not move at all (which is great), however I felt like it was really perched up on the top of my head. It also felt very top heavy. I currently have an IRH so I’m used to a solid and somewhat heavier helmet but the Samshield just felt too heavy. It fit correctly but I’m just worried that it’s too heavy. There was also a lot of pressure on my forehead but I read it was supposed to alleviate pressure on the forehead… As the padding wears down will it sink down on my head more? Or will it always feel really bulky? If it stays pretty bulky then I’ll probably buy the GPA. Does anyone have any experience with the GPA Speed Air? If so do you like it?
Thank you!!

I’ve had both (and in fact did a review post and video review comparing the two not very long ago) and liked both. For me the Samshield is more comfortable and from what I’ve experienced so far, better made, BUT personally I think it completely comes down to fit. If the GPA fits you better and is more comfortable, buy it. That said, see if you can try a Samshield with a Premium liner in it (the one without a piece at the front of the forehead).

Review post
http://the900facebookpony.com/2015/11/20/samshield-vs-gpa-the-showdown-with-video/

Review video
https://vimeo.com/146385631

do you have more of an oval or round shaped head? Certain helmets are better for one or the other. I have an oval head and the rounder helmets give me that feeling of having pressure on my forehead and being perched. I’ve found Charles Owens and IRH to be better for my shape. I’d like to try the Uvex too. The GPA’s I’ve tried didn’t fit at all.

Thank you, I’ll try that! I definitely look at both of the links you posted.

I have a more oval head shape

I have a rounder shaped head and fit well in a a Charles owen ayr8 and samshield shadowmatt. The lining has compressed a bit. Enough to make the helmet fit half a size or 1/16" larger.

Ok so maybe I will need to go with the GPA if the Samshield seems to fit rounder heads. Good to know, thank you!

Charles Owen is one of the finalists for innovation in head protection this year. COTH has posted the edited press release. Whether or not their new material is already in helmets isn’t clear.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/charles-owen-inc-wins-head-health-challenge

Try on lots of helmets, including all of the Charles Owens. My concern about the GPA is that it is so expensive that you aren’t going to want to replace it after you fall off and hit your head. Eventers usually fall off regularly and hit the head on occasion.

Yeah that’s true, eventers do tend to fall more frequently. So I’m going to look into GPA’s replacement policy. But I know I don’t want a Charles Owen because they don’t have the ventalation or the padded support at the back of the helmet that both the GPA and Samshield have.

Tipperaries have that same padded back… and their expensive helmets (T2) cost about half of what the GPA/Samshields do. And fit a more oval head. Remember that just because a helmet costs a lot doesn’t mean it’s safer. Try them all on and get the one that FITS BEST.

Yeah I looked at those and I tried the T2 on, but they do not fit me right. Which is why I’m looking at the GPA and Samshield because both of those fit me.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;8459066]
Charles Owen is one of the finalists for innovation in head protection this year. COTH has posted the edited press release. Whether or not their new material is already in helmets isn’t clear.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/charles-owen-inc-wins-head-health-challenge[/QUOTE]

I looked at the Charles Owens however they don’t have the main features that I am looking for which are the padding at the back of the neck and the ventilation.

I work in a tack shop. Charles Owen helmets have ventilation. The classic ones and the GR8 don’t, but their skull caps and Ayr8 do (hence “aerate”). I haven’t met an eventer who didn’t have a Charles Owen somewhere in their helmet collection. And Charles Owen sponsors more than a few eventers. They are wonderful helmets. That said, I have a very round head and they never fit me right. Samsheilds fit me well, so you would need the opposite of what I need, which means the GPA or a Charles Owen. The “perched” feeling is a huge indicator that the Samshield is not for you.

[QUOTE=mvspencer;8461827]
I work in a tack shop. Charles Owen helmets have ventilation. The classic ones and the GR8 don’t, but their skull caps and Ayr8 do (hence “aerate”). I haven’t met an eventer who didn’t have a Charles Owen somewhere in their helmet collection. And Charles Owen sponsors more than a few eventers. They are wonderful helmets. That said, I have a very round head and they never fit me right. Samsheilds fit me well, so you would need the opposite of what I need, which means the GPA or a Charles Owen. The “perched” feeling is a huge indicator that the Samshield is not for you.[/QUOTE]

My problem with the Charles Owen is that they don’t have a helmet with the added support at the back of the head. I need that considering that I am an eventer so if I were to fall and hit the back of my head (say on a solid cross country jump) it protects the base of my head. That being said I won’t buy a Charles Owen. Charles Owens only have strings at the back of the helmet which will not protect me at all. I think the GPA will be my best option if the Samshield feeling perched means that it does not fit my head shape correctly. Thank you!

I recently got the Ovation Protege. It looks similar to the Tipperary helmet and protects the back of the head like the Tipp, but it is around $40-$42! It is very comfortable and well vented. At my barn about 50% of the riders have the GPAs. They stink! Literally!! After a year or so they all smell terrible! I ride 1 or 2 horses daily and they are usually tune up or conditioning rides, so I’m not plodding along. I am sweating after my winter rides and sweat runs down my eyebrows in the summer, yet my IRH, Uvex and Ovation helmets never smelled bad. The people who wear GPAs you can smell them coming. When they walk by the sour/chemical smell hangs in the air until they’re at least 10ft away. I spend everyday/all day in the barn - so I am not making broad generalities!

I have no opinion on Samshield vs GPA, but wanted to point out that my Charles Owen is definitely padded in the back, at least as much as any other brand I’ve seen. If you aren’t interested in the brand that’s fine, but just throwing it out there. I’d go for best helmet fit, that bit of padding over the back straps is more comfort for daily wear than fall protection, I can’t imagine it offers much in the way of spinal cord/skull protection below the helmet itself.

[QUOTE=Lusoluv;8461940]
I recently got the Ovation Protege. It looks similar to the Tipperary helmet and protects the back of the head like the Tipp, but it is around $40-$42! It is very comfortable and well vented. At my barn about 50% of the riders have the GPAs. They stink! Literally!! After a year or so they all smell terrible! I ride 1 or 2 horses daily and they are usually tune up or conditioning rides, so I’m not plodding along. I am sweating after my winter rides and sweat runs down my eyebrows in the summer, yet my IRH, Uvex and Ovation helmets never smelled bad. The people who wear GPAs you can smell them coming. When they walk by the sour/chemical smell hangs in the air until they’re at least 10ft away. I spend everyday/all day in the barn - so I am not making broad generalities![/QUOTE]
I just looked up the Ovation Protege but I’m not sure about the sizing. One K helmet sizes work the exact same way in the sense that each size (Small, Medium, or Large) fits a range of sizes. I’m a 7, and a true 7, I can’t wear any other size. So when I tried on the One K size that was supposed to fit a 7 it was too small. Because the range was a 6 7/8-7. And I couldn’t go a size larger either, it was too big. If Dover has the Ovation Proteges I’ll try them on, it’s definitely worth a shot! Well if I end up getting a GPA it looks like I’ll be buying lots of the Charles Owen helmet spray haha! Thanks for your suggestion!

[QUOTE=faybe;8462032]
I have no opinion on Samshield vs GPA, but wanted to point out that my Charles Owen is definitely padded in the back, at least as much as any other brand I’ve seen. If you aren’t interested in the brand that’s fine, but just throwing it out there. I’d go for best helmet fit, that bit of padding over the back straps is more comfort for daily wear than fall protection, I can’t imagine it offers much in the way of spinal cord/skull protection below the helmet itself.[/QUOTE]
The lady at Dover showed me the Charles Owen helmets and I have looked at my friends’ Charles Owen helmets and they only have strings in the back. I’m not talking about the regular padding at the back of the helmet, I’m talking about the additional padding attached to the base of the helmet. While it is for comfort it is also intended to provide more protection to the base of the head and spinal cord. Yes of course I’m going for the best fit, that’s why I’m trying to gather as much information as possible on each helmet and I’m trying them on. Thank you!

[QUOTE=juliaeharper;8462074]
I’m not talking about the regular padding at the back of the helmet, I’m talking about the additional padding attached to the base of the helmet. While it is for comfort it is also intended to provide more protection to the base of the head and spinal cord. [/QUOTE]

I understand that, my J3 is padded below the bottom edge of the helmet where the straps would be, just as much as any Samshield is. I get that it’s irrelevant because you’re not interested in the COs (which is totally fine! They aren’t for everyone), but it seems misleading to say that there’s some additional safety feature to the GPA or Samshield because they pad their back straps (as the CO J3 does).

Just out of curiosity- are these brands marketing this as a true additional safety feature? Have they done any studies to show that a little strip of foam covering a strap provides any additional protection to your skull/spinal cord? To me that’s like saying those fuzzy velcro seat belt covers your grandma has in her old caddy will keep you from breaking your clavicle in a car wreck.

I’m sorry, I know I’ve completely hijacked the intent of this thread, but I’ve never heard this touted as a safety feature before and it seems like a crazy reason to spend an additional $200 on a helmet. Maybe I’m just way behind the times though :o