Unlimited access >

Samshield or GPA?

Read the description for this CO skull cap…it has ventilation:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/charles-owen-pro-ii-skull-cap/p/X1-3676/

You’re welcome to buy any brand of helmet you like…no one is arguing with you about that. But you should make sure your information is correct.

And the AYR8 also has ventilation…I have one!

[QUOTE=juliaeharper;8465633]
I just checked Dover’s website to see what you were talking about and CO doesn’t have any helmets with vents. Also a lot of the CO are suede and I don’t want suede because that’s what my current helmet is and it’s a whole lot harder to keep clean. My friend that I ride with has a CO and almost passed out 2 different times this summer because they are so hot!

I understand that the skull cap does have the padding I’m looking for, however it does not have the ventilation. CO helmets also do not fit me well. I have tried them before and they did not come down far enough on my head and did not fit the overall shape of my head. Not only does CO not offer a helmet with what I need but they also do not fit me. So I will not buy a helmet that does not fit me, that doesn’t make any sense. Then the helmet could not do its job to protect me. So this is exactly why I am only asking for information on the Samshield and the GPA because they fit me the best.[/QUOTE]

Honey, if you had just come on here and said CO’s don’t fit your head and asked for info about the GPA and Samshield no one would have said a thing. Instead, you came on here and said you don’t like CO’s because of Lie #1 and Lie #2. When confronted on your false assertions, you doubled and tripled down on your lies.

As someone whose head fits the CO very well, and whose head has been protected by them for years, I don’t like having falsehoods about a company that has been a pleasure to work with whenever i have accidentally field tested one of their products propagated on a popular horse message board that is discoverable by a search engine.

Buy a certified helmet that fits your head and is comfortable enough for you to wear and cheap enough for you that you will replace it if it takes a hit.

[QUOTE=KellyS;8465718]
Read the description for this CO skull cap…it has ventilation:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/charles-owen-pro-ii-skull-cap/p/X1-3676/

You’re welcome to buy any brand of helmet you like…no one is arguing with you about that. But you should make sure your information is correct.

And the AYR8 also has ventilation…I have one![/QUOTE]

I know it says that it does but that helmet is the one that my friend almost passed out with 2 different times because she said that it’s so hot! Which would make sense since they have a cover over them too that would block the air flow. So I’m getting information from a friend that rides in one.

[QUOTE=NCRider;8465727]
Honey, if you had just come on here and said CO’s don’t fit your head and asked for info about the GPA and Samshield no one would have said a thing. Instead, you came on here and said you don’t like CO’s because of Lie #1 and Lie #2. When confronted on your false assertions, you doubled and tripled down on your lies.

As someone whose head fits the CO very well, and whose head has been protected by them for years, I don’t like having falsehoods about a company that has been a pleasure to work with whenever i have accidentally field tested one of their products propagated on a popular horse message board that is discoverable by a search engine.

Buy a certified helmet that fits your head and is comfortable enough for you to wear and cheap enough for you that you will replace it if it takes a hit.[/QUOTE]

I shouldn’t need to say that they don’t fit me because if I’m only asking about the GPAs and Samshields so no one should comment about any other brands. People should just answer the questions asked but for some reason can’t seem to do that! People should only respond if they have/have experience with ONLY these two brands. They are the two I originally asked about.

I never said that I don’t like COs or have a problem with them. But instead I’m using the information from from my friends that ride in them and other reviews online. There are reviews on tack websites, videos, blogs, and I’ve asked people on Instagram who ride in these helmets. So they not lies because this is what I have read about these helmets and what people have told me. And I’ve read a lot and talked to different people to make sure I’m going to buy the right one.

That’s fine if Charles Owens fit you and you like them. I don’t have anything against them. But they do not work for me and do not offer what I want so I will not buy them and do not need unnecessary comments on them when I did not ask about them in the first place.

[QUOTE=juliaeharper;8465822]
I shouldn’t need to say that they don’t fit me because if I’m only asking about the GPAs and Samshields so no one should comment about any other brands. People should just answer the questions asked but for some reason can’t seem to do that! People should only respond if they have/have experience with ONLY these two brands. [/QUOTE]

1. This is a discussion forum. Expect discussion. :slight_smile:

2. You’re offering up a considerable amount of conflicting/irrelevant/incorrect/anecdotal information. If your goal is to select the best safety product for your valued cranium, you’re more likely to achieve your goal if you base your search in fact, not in ‘my friend said’ or ‘squishy-ness’.

3. There’s a fashion angle to this thread that has, most disappointingly, gone unexplored. You want a Samshield or GPA. You don’t want a $60 Ovation. That is fashion, not safety. Which is okay, really, because all of these helmets are certified safety helmets so have some established level of protection. From that point on, it’s to some extent a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend.

Which is fine. It’s your head, your cash. Just don’t create a false narrative about brands that don’t meet your style standards.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=juliaeharper;8465815]
I know it says that it does but that helmet is the one that my friend almost passed out with 2 different times because she said that it’s so hot! Which would make sense since they have a cover over them too that would block the air flow. So I’m getting information from a friend that rides in one.[/QUOTE]

Can you please read for comprehension?! The cover has a mesh center that allow the air to flow through it ~ it does NOT block air flow! That’s why it comes with its own cover that accommodates the vents.

If it’s hot enough, it doesn’t matter what helmet you’re wearing, you may feel like passing out!

If you’re that worried about heat, the best helmet would be a well ventilated Troxel!

As others have said, no one has a problem with you buying whatever helmet you want, but you keep arguing that certain helmets don’t meet your qualifications when, in fact, they do! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=JER;8466014]

2. You’re offering up a considerable amount of conflicting/irrelevant/incorrect/anecdotal information. If your goal is to select the best safety product for your valued cranium, you’re more likely to achieve your goal if you base your search in fact, not in ‘my friend said’ or ‘squishy-ness’.

3. There’s a fashion angle to this thread that has, most disappointingly, gone unexplored. You want a Samshield or GPA. You don’t want a $60 Ovation. That is fashion, not safety. Which is okay, really, because all of these helmets are certified safety helmets so have some established level of protection. From that point on, it’s to some extent a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend.

Which is fine. It’s your head, your cash. Just don’t create a false narrative about brands that don’t meet your style standards.

:)[/QUOTE]

I know this is a discussion forum which is why I posted on here to ask about the Samshield and GPA helmets. I need discussion about the questions I’ve asked in the first place because that is the information I actually do need! Not the irrelevant stuff. I’m going to base my selection of helmet through the ones that have the features that I want (non suede, ventilated, padded, replaceable lining). And of course off of what fits best. Which is why I asked about the padding of the Samshield in the first place, to see if it feeling perched was a problem or not. I wanted to know if other people who bought this helmet felt this way at first and then later if it squished down. I went into Dover prepared to buy whichever of the two fit best. However they didn’t have my size in the GPA so they had to order it from their other store and now I’m waiting for it to come in. So when I go back to try them on I’m going to go with whichever one fits me best.

Also, I’m going to go off of reviews and what my friends (who actually own them!!!) say because they know what they are talking about. They have experience with these helmets so they aren’t wrong in what they are saying. What they state are facts and the reviews that people give are too. They are facts about what they have experienced. The same also goes for the reviews people have written online. The only way I’m going to know anything about how the helmet wears or actually feels while riding is by talking to people that own these helmets. I won’t know anything about what riding or falling in it will be like until I actually do it, and I can’t get that information from just trying them on in Dover. You have to actually talk to people for that information! So I will talk to my friends and others online that have them to get that information. Yes, I am looking for a Samshield or GPA! Because they actually fit me. They also have the features that I want. And they both have replaceable lining. The problem with, for example the Ovation helmets is their sizing. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I need a 7. Not a Small, Medium, or Large that fits a range of sizes. Which all of the Ovation helmets do. I also looked at and tried on One K’s because they have exactly what I’m looking for, however the sizing was a problem. They have Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large which each fit a range of sizes. I can’t go up in any brand of helmet and I can’t go down, I’m always a 7. That is what my current IRH is too. I love my current IRH and would buy another one. But the ones with the ventilation the reviews say they scratch really easily and chip and are not as high quality as people were expecting. They also don’t have the padding that I want. And those are the only ones that aren’t suede and I don’t want suede again. Also their suede ones don’t have ventilation. I’m not going to waste money on a helmet that doesn’t fit or doesn’t have the features that I want when there are ones being sold that fit and have exactly what I want.

I’m not trying to create a falsehood about any brand. I have to go off of what I’ve heard, read, and seen. And I wouldn’t have to be explaining this if this discussion hadn’t been sidetracked and derailed from the original point.

[QUOTE=JER;8466014]

:)[/QUOTE]

I know this is a discussion forum which is why I posted on here to ask about the Samshield and GPA helmets. I need discussion about the questions I’ve asked in the first place because that is the information I actually do need! Not the irrelevant stuff. I’m going to base my selection of helmet through the ones that have the features that I want (non suede, ventilated, padded, replaceable lining). And of course off of what fits best. Which is why I asked about the padding of the Samshield in the first place, to see if it feeling perched was a problem or not. I wanted to know if other people who bought this helmet felt this way at first and then later if it squished down. I went into Dover prepared to buy whichever of the two fit best. However they didn’t have my size in the GPA so they had to order it from their other store and now I’m waiting for it to come in. So when I go back to try them on I’m going to go with whichever one fits me best.

Also, I’m going to go off of reviews and what my friends (who actually own them!!!) say because they know what they are talking about. They have experience with these helmets so they aren’t wrong in what they are saying. What they state are facts and the reviews that people give are too. They are facts about what they have experienced. The same also goes for the reviews people have written online. The only way I’m going to know anything about how the helmet wears or actually feels while riding is by talking to people that own these helmets. I won’t know anything about what riding or falling in it will be like until I actually do it, and I can’t get that information from just trying them on in Dover. You have to actually talk to people for that information! So I will talk to my friends and others online that have them to get that information. Yes, I am looking for a Samshield or GPA! Because they actually fit me. They also have the features that I want. And they both have replaceable lining. The problem with, for example the Ovation helmets is their sizing. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I need a 7. Not a Small, Medium, or Large that fits a range of sizes. Which all of the Ovation helmets do. I also looked at and tried on One K’s because they have exactly what I’m looking for, however the sizing was a problem. They have Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large which each fit a range of sizes. I can’t go up in any brand of helmet and I can’t go down, I’m always a 7. That is what my current IRH is too. I love my current IRH and would buy another one. But the ones with the ventilation the reviews say they scratch really easily and chip and are not as high quality as people were expecting. They also don’t have the padding that I want. And those are the only ones that aren’t suede and I don’t want suede again. Also their suede ones don’t have ventilation. I’m not going to waste money on a helmet that doesn’t fit or doesn’t have the features that I want when there are ones being sold that fit and have exactly what I want.

I’m not trying to create a falsehood about any brand. I have to go off of what I’ve heard, read, and seen. And I wouldn’t have to be explaining this if this discussion hadn’t been sidetracked and derailed from the original point.

[QUOTE=juliaeharper;8466131]
The problem with, for example the Ovation helmets is their sizing. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, I need a 7. Not a Small, Medium, or Large that fits a range of sizes. Which all of the Ovation helmets do. [/QUOTE]

You need a helmet that fits. You might find in some models that what fits is a 7 and in others a 6 7/8 or 7 1/8. Those are small differences, and there is variation from brand to brand and model to model. I might take a 6 3/4, 6 7/8 or a 7 – I’ve had all of these sizes in correctly-fitted helmets.

I have an Ovation helmet that I bought en route to a competition because the airline misplaced my equipment bag (and did agree to reimburse for replacements). I didn’t have much time so just bought whatever fit first. The Ovation has a dial mechanism for customizing fit that is really, really good. The S/M/L designations work perfectly well as you can use the dial for the fine-tuning. FWIW, my primary helmet, the MIPS-equipped Back On Track helmet (which IMO, offered superior safety), has the same mechanism for fit, although it’s in the form of a zipper rather than a dial.

I have to say that the Ovation helmet fit and comfort impressed me very much.

[QUOTE=KellyS;8466109]
Can you please read for comprehension?! The cover has a mesh center that allow the air to flow through it ~ it does NOT block air flow! That’s why it comes with its own cover that accommodates the vents.

If it’s hot enough, it doesn’t matter what helmet you’re wearing, you may feel like passing out!

If you’re that worried about heat, the best helmet would be a well ventilated Troxel!

As others have said, no one has a problem with you buying whatever helmet you want, but you keep arguing that certain helmets don’t meet your qualifications when, in fact, they do! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well apparently they aren’t enough because they are still extremely hot. I want a helmet with the maximum ventilation and while that may be the Troxel it doesn’t have the other features that I want (padding below the shell and replaceable lining). COs also don’t fit me correctly- like I’ve posted before… So I’m not going to look into them if they don’t fit right.
All of the reviews of the GPA Speed Air and people I’ve talked to online who ride in them say that the Speed Air offers the maximum ventilation! Also I have a problem with the sizing of Troxels. I’ve already said this but apparently no one can seem to get it. I need a helmet that comes in a 7 and the Troxels only offer smalls, mediums, and larges that fit a range of sizes. I also had a Troxel as my first helmet which the back fell out of even though it wasn’t a bad fall and I didn’t land on my head. The reason I continue to argue my opinions is because no one can seem to get it. I have my reasons for not buying certain helmets but people continue to comment about them and push them when they already know I won’t buy them. Which is why I asked for a second time for ONLY people with experience with the Samshields or GPAs to comment. But obviously no one can read for comprehension and answer the questions I actually want answered!

[QUOTE=faybe;8462303]
I understand that, my J3 is padded below the bottom edge of the helmet where the straps would be, just as much as any Samshield is. I get that it’s irrelevant because you’re not interested in the COs (which is totally fine! They aren’t for everyone), but it seems misleading to say that there’s some additional safety feature to the GPA or Samshield because they pad their back straps (as the CO J3 does).

Just out of curiosity- are these brands marketing this as a true additional safety feature? Have they done any studies to show that a little strip of foam covering a strap provides any additional protection to your skull/spinal cord? To me that’s like saying those fuzzy velcro seat belt covers your grandma has in her old caddy will keep you from breaking your clavicle in a car wreck.

I’m sorry, I know I’ve completely hijacked the intent of this thread, but I’ve never heard this touted as a safety feature before and it seems like a crazy reason to spend an additional $200 on a helmet. Maybe I’m just way behind the times though :o[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JER;8466167]You need a helmet that fits. You might find in some models that what fits is a 7 and in others a 6 7/8 or 7 1/8. Those are small differences, and there is variation from brand to brand and model to model. I might take a 6 3/4, 6 7/8 or a 7 – I’ve had all of these sizes in correctly-fitted helmets.

I have an Ovation helmet that I bought en route to a competition because the airline misplaced my equipment bag (and did agree to reimburse for replacements). I didn’t have much time so just bought whatever fit first. The Ovation has a dial mechanism for customizing fit that is really, really good. The S/M/L designations work perfectly well as you can use the dial for the fine-tuning. FWIW, my primary helmet, the MIPS-equipped Back On Track helmet (which IMO, offered superior safety), has the same mechanism for fit, although it’s in the form of a zipper rather than a dial.

I have to say that the Ovation helmet fit and comfort impressed me very much.[/QUOTE]

Right which is why I know that I need a 7. All of the helmets that I have tried on I’ve needed the 7. A size down was too small and a size up was too large. I’ve always been fitted for a 7. So I can’t do one with a range of sizes. Just like I posted earlier I can’t get a One K because they have small, medium, and large sizes that fit a range but the medium is too small even though that’s what is supposed to fit a 7. And the large it too loose.

I looked up the MIPS-equipped Back On Track helmet but the only categories are showing up are Youth, Snow, Bike, and Motorcyle?? I can’t find an equestrian category.

To answer one of your original questions, if the helmet feels “perched” on your head and it’s putting a lot of pressure on your forehead, then it is definitely too small. I purchased a helmet that fit like this, thinking it would break in and fit better because it was in the size (7 1/8) that I always wore in that helmet brand, but it never did “break in” and I ended up with a massive headache every time I wore it. The next size up didn’t fit either.

[QUOTE=KellyS;8466226]
To answer one of your original questions, if the helmet feels “perched” on your head and it’s putting a lot of pressure on your forehead, then it is definitely too small. I purchased a helmet that fit like this, thinking it would break in and fit better because it was in the size (7 1/8) that I always wore in that helmet brand, but it never did “break in” and I ended up with a massive headache every time I wore it. The next size up didn’t fit either.[/QUOTE]

Ok good to know. I wanted to make sure before I bought it and it was uncomfortable and it never wore down. Thank you!

Sometimes, actually, most of the time, keeping your opinion to yourself is the best way to go here on COTH. Even if it is your thread. You can argue your opinion to the death here, and it doesn’t matter because this is the internet and everyone fact checks everything.

I have one last anecdote that I’m sure you don’t care about, but I really want to share. Ventilation in a helmet is important, sure. But it doesn’t exempt you from overheating. I passed out from heat and fell off once. And guess what? My helmet had vents. But my unreasonable, 12 year old self didn’t want to miss riding because it was hot. So don’t be unreasonable, and don’t ride in the heat. If it is hot enough that you think you might over-heat, don’t ride. Wait a few hours for it to cool off, or ride in the morning when it’s cooler. Use that noggin that you are trying to protect.

[QUOTE=mvspencer;8466254]
Sometimes, actually, most of the time, keeping your opinion to yourself is the best way to go here on COTH. Even if it is your thread. You can argue your opinion to the death here, and it doesn’t matter because this is the internet and everyone fact checks everything.

I have one last anecdote that I’m sure you don’t care about, but I really want to share. Ventilation in a helmet is important, sure. But it doesn’t exempt you from overheating. I passed out from heat and fell off once. And guess what? My helmet had vents. But my unreasonable, 12 year old self didn’t want to miss riding because it was hot. So don’t be unreasonable, and don’t ride in the heat. If it is hot enough that you think you might over-heat, don’t ride. Wait a few hours for it to cool off, or ride in the morning when it’s cooler. Use that noggin that you are trying to protect.[/QUOTE]

Well this is for discussion and you have to put out your opinions and information in order to discuss things but alright…

No of course it doesn’t exempt you from overheating but I’d like to do the most possible to avoid it. We try to avoid riding when it’s too hot but sometimes you just can’t. When the day starts out at above 80 degrees, sunny, and humid it’s almost nearly impossible. It may not be the high 90s like it is in the afternoon but it’s still hot. I’ve never come close to passing out from the heat but I’m going to do everything I can to keep myself from ever overheating. Which is exactly why I’m using my noggin and buying the best venilated helmet!

Here is another question. Are you planning on competing in this helmet? BE just changed their rules so that only skull caps can be used on XC. In the next few years, the US may follow suit. Neither of those helmets you will be able to ride in on XC. I believe samshield has come out with a skullcap but I’m not positive. I’m saying this, not to deter you from either of those brands but as a serious note to consider especially since those two helmets are not on the cheaper side. (I don’t know or don’t care about your financial situation so price may not matter.) Also, the little flap of foam on a GPA speed air will not protect in the event of whiplash. I have previous neck injuries and looked into them before of that feature. There was no testing done on them and they offer no sound support. If you are looking for neck support, the hit air vest is your best bet. Good luck.

[QUOTE=MoonLadyIsis;8472865]
Here is another question. Are you planning on competing in this helmet? BE just changed their rules so that only skull caps can be used on XC. In the next few years, the US may follow suit. Neither of those helmets you will be able to ride in on XC. I believe samshield has come out with a skullcap but I’m not positive. I’m saying this, not to deter you from either of those brands but as a serious note to consider especially since those two helmets are not on the cheaper side. (I don’t know or don’t care about your financial situation so price may not matter.) Also, the little flap of foam on a GPA speed air will not protect in the event of whiplash. I have previous neck injuries and looked into them before of that feature. There was no testing done on them and they offer no sound support. If you are looking for neck support, the hit air vest is your best bet. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Ok I’ll look into that. I know the US just updated a lot of their helmet regulations so a lot of manufacturers are have to change their helmets. But I don’t know if they added anything about competing in certain helmets. I’ll check to make sure, thank you!

I’m not sure where to find them anymore as mine needs replacing, but lamicell makes an awesome helmet. I’ve had two now and I love them! Has the padded back that you are looking for and fits true to size. They are also around $100. Or were 4 years ago. Like I said, I need a new one. Honestly though, that pad doesn’t provide an ounce of protection. So get what fits, regardless of if it has a tie string or not. CO is a wonderful brand. I’d have one if I thought I wouldn’t fall off as soon as I got it!

Oh goodness. Clearly I should have read the entire post before posting.

[QUOTE=Ready To Riot;8474150]
I’m not sure where to find them anymore as mine needs replacing, but lamicell makes an awesome helmet. I’ve had two now and I love them! Has the padded back that you are looking for and fits true to size. They are also around $100. Or were 4 years ago. Like I said, I need a new one. Honestly though, that pad doesn’t provide an ounce of protection. So get what fits, regardless of if it has a tie string or not. CO is a wonderful brand. I’d have one if I thought I wouldn’t fall off as soon as I got it![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion but I just went to Dover and ended up buying the Samshield! I tried it with a different liner and it fit great and felt really secure.