Unlimited access >

Saratoga Races

Blood Horse headline says Life is Good “dazzled” in the Whitney. I did not think he was dazzling–looked tired at the end, Irad pulled one of his stunts to make sure the second horse had no chance (not that I think he did, but he might have been closer.)
And I saw a twitter thing that they had to hose him off a lot after because they though he was on the verge of tying up.

I also do not think he “dazzled”… far from it. He actually had to WORK and was not easily and effortlessly drawing away as he has done in the past.

I love having the breeding noted during post parade - NBC annoys me with that omission. It kinda feels like dumbing things down…

Speaking of which…

A few years ago when the Westminster dog show was broadcast on the first night of group judging… for some bizarre reason, the director/producer/whoever decided that no one needed to know the dogs’ actual registered names or past Best in Show wins or position in the past year (i.e. #2 terrier in all systems)… and just used their call names on the graphics and had the hosts relate cutesy things only - like “Moxie’s favorite treat is a piece of cheese and she loves to have her belly rubbed”.

There must have been a massive uproar because by night 2 of group judging and Best in Show, the dogs were correctly IDed and the hosts seemed relaxed/relieved.

Dumbing things down for all us idiots Out Here does not work.

LOVED the Hambletonian coverage - I worked on a Standardbred farm for quite a while and started youngsters in the jog carts…

1 Like

It was very hot and humid yesterday even at Saratoga. I thought he showed some grit mid stretch and found another gear. Now I am going to have to rewatch it , as I only saw it once.

1 Like

Good story about Irad’s stunt on Life is Good in the Whitney. Props to Migliore.

Where?

Duh, forgot to put the link in:

4 Likes

It was unnecessary but it wasn’t punishable. If I was an owner I wouldn’t use him. He takes too many chances, some that win races but that could also end badly.

He’s not as bad as Paco Lopez, but I think that when jockeys ride carelessly they should be suspended for long enough that it hurts financially. Lopez is going to get someone (jockey and/or horse) killed. The careless riding rules need to have some teeth.

2 Likes

Lopez has ridden dangerously for years;

Ironic;

Was watching the telecast. Mig let him have it right after the race, they ran the stretch drive clip several times explaining what happened and why, on a sweltering day in deep footing when well clear of the other horse, it made no sense throw a NASCAR worthy block. Also pointed out the move with cars can result in bent fenders easily replaced on cars, not so much in horses.

I was surprised he was was so passionate about it but it was appropriate, refreshing actually to hear him stick up for how hard LiG was working and how unnecessary asking for more with an aggressive block was.

2 Likes

I always thought Borel took unnecessary risks with great and expensive horses riding snd squeezing through the rail, but I am risk adverse.

Is Calvin Borel still riding somewhere? I haven’t seen him on TV or heard about him in a long time. Did something happen and he’s on a lower level now?

Sorry for the derail!

I think he retired and in one piece.:slight_smile: (Oops correction-looks like he came out of retirement…)

1 Like

Echo Again, a homebred for Winchell TBs, broke his maiden in a MSW at Saratoga in spectacular fashion. A beautiful son of Gun Runner.

Nest and Secret Oath are two of the 7 fillies running in the Alabama today.

1 Like

Nest wins! Secret Oath 2nd.

Repole really enjoys his racing. It’s nice to see an owner who cares so much that he becomes emotional when his horses run well.

3 Likes

Echo Again not only broke his maiden, he was a first timer. Loooong way to go but…oh my.

Also enjoying these telecasts, even (most of) the commentary. Actually helpful, I like the paddock evaluations plus they keep the camera on the horses through most the warm up and PP then follow them as they gallop out and make their way back onto the main track and to the winners circle or waiting grooms. Politely, all by themselves.

Why do the winners all stop in the same place on their way back, in front of some signs and look the same direction (infield). Is there a steward, vet or judge there? Just curious.

1 Like

I was just coming to say that! He stole my heart in the paddock then took by breath away on the track. I imagine the juvenile is on his dance card at the moment.

He is a very handsome horse and ran beautifully.

Epicenter wins the Travers in fine form.

Several upsets today. Clairiere finished last in her race , Jackie’s Warrior finished second in his race to Cody’s Wish.

Nobody was going to catch Epicenter, Rich Strike finished a respectable 4th, a head behind Zandon who was only a head behind Cyberknife. All three were inches apart shoulder to shoulder under the wire with nobody quitting. If you see the replay or a photo, Richey is the one plastered with so much kickback you cant even see the white face or silks. He proved they belonged. IMO.

What was with Clariere in the Personal Ensign? She OK?

3 Likes

Epicenter dominated. Probably three-year old champ.