Unlimited access >

Schooling breeches recs? Yes, another breeches thread

Did you get your normal size or did you size up 1 in the Hybrids? The website says to size up but I’m nervous…lol.

Well gee, no one has mentioned Dover’s Tuff Riders. I wear the full seats and found them comfortable, durable and fit well…I also wear a 30 long. And they offer a wide range of colors.

I think they would be fine! Granted I don’t do a lot of chores in them, and yes the fabric is soft, but I don’t really think that it is so thin that it is prone to snagging.

I think you should try them out! I keep trying to get myself to buy more structured breeches but I always end up right back in the FRs. They are the only pair I don’t feel like I have to tug and pull around to feel comfortable in.

1 Like

I sized up for the Empower Hybrids. I’m normally a 28 in regular breeches, 5’2", around 130 lbs. I bought a size large and they fit perfectly. I could’ve fit into a medium because they’re so stretchy, but the first size I tried on was large and I loved the fit so much I didn’t want to try another size.

1 Like

Got my Lux breeches from Free Ride tonight and I am obsessed. I haven’t ridden in them yet but they’re the most comfortable breeches I’ve ever tried on. Looking forward to riding in them tomorrow and I have the hybrid ones in the mail now. So excited to have found this brand! Thank you everyone for the recommendations!

4 Likes

How would you compared them to Romf sarafina?

Literally not like them at all!! Much more like a legging and I honestly love that about them, but nothing like the Sarafina in my
opinion!

BlockquoteHow would you compared them to Romf sarafina?

BlockquoteLiterally not like them at all!! Much more like a legging and I honestly love that about them, but nothing like the Sarafina in my
opinion!

Agreed^^ My show breeches are full seat Sarafinas, and I really like them but they’re nothing like FR, both the Lux and the Empower Hybrids that I have. The rise on the FR is higher and both lines are more form fitting but aren’t tight or restrictive at all, they’re extremely comfortable. I could wear them all day like around the house lounging, and I wouldn’t do that even with the most comfortable “true” breeches. The Sarafinas do look more professional/formal, which is why I use them for shows.

2 Likes

Are they high rise? I like the Elations but have decided I am done with low or medium rise breeches.

I’m seeing lots of Free Ride votes! For those of you that wear them, how sticky are they and how has the silicone grip held up?

They have a silicone seat but it’s a very fine pattern, so they are lightly sticky. Definitely more grip than a bare bones knee patch breech, but they are not so sticky that you are posting out of your pants (which is so annoying). I really like the level of light grip they provide.

Longevity wise, I have three pairs that I’ve gotten over the course of a year and a half and I haven’t had an issue with the silicone wearing on any of them. Granted the snap at the waist broke off on the first pair, but I contacted the company and they said that that was a manufacturing issue that has since been fixed. So really, no issues with wear over time.

1 Like

Thank you! They sound worth a try.

Don’t get Kerrits. Ever. The price is ok but the quality is horrible! Mine ripped after one month of ownign them, plus they pill like crazy.

3 Likes

They’re a good light-medium level of grip. You don’t feel like you’re stuck to the seat, like when your bottom moves but the pants don’t, but it’s not like slippery knee patches either. If I was going XC schooling I would still wear suede full seats, but other than that I really like the balance of grip vs mobility in the FR.

Another brand to check out is Maya Delorez. A friend of mine really likes hers, and the reviews look great. The fabric is thicker than the FR Lux and is probably similar or slightly thicker than the FR Empower Hybrids. I’m going to order a pair soon. They’re definitely more expensive but are still cheaper than a lot of traditional breeches.

1 Like

Actually, a breech that I wear and I don’t know why I don’t think of it more often, is the Finley breech by Fits. They fit really well, hold up well to barn work and love the material. You should definitely check them out. They are normal breeches ( not the monkey butt) with silicon in the full seat. Good amount of stick without being too sticky silicone. And they have sales so can usually snag a pair for $120 or less.

Can someone rank the FR breeches in order of more like legging to less like leggings feel? I still really want to try them but am a tad confused with the lux vs the lux pro vs the empowered vs etc

I can only speak for Lux vs Empower Hybrid, those are the only two I tried on. The Lux feel like true leggings, very thin and light. They weren’t see through or anything, but they didn’t feel supportive or compression-y, like they wouldn’t hold you in and smooth over. Maybe if you size down they would? I’m not sure. The Empower Hybrid are the same thickness as nice breeches but they’re made with leggings-esque material, so they’re really stretchy and soft but hold their shape (and your shape) much better, and they do have mild compression without feeling like a sausage casing. The rise is also higher on the Empower Hybrid.

1 Like

Agree with @skipollo. The Lux breech is super thin and light, basically feel like you are wearing nothing at all. The Empower Hybrid are a thicker material with more compression.

1 Like

I’d say they’re mid rise. I am long in the waist so most breeches these days are low rise on me, but these are higher than the Elation Chelsea breeches (which are pretty low rise, and are ok for a lesson or ride but I tried to wear them XC schooling last year and that was a mistake).

There are also a bunch of new Elation, Tempo, and TemTeq (I think that’s their new Tempo line) tights that are definitely a higher rise, with a thicker yoga waistband. I saw some in-store at the spring sale, and those may be worth checking out. They’ll also be 50% off.

Do you have the Espirits? How do you like them? I was thinking of trying them because I like the FreeRide style and fit, but would like more colors and I like the front pockets on the Espirit.

I really like the Espirit. I think they are made in the same factory as the Free rides but are more affordable. They fit well and the pockets are nice.

2 Likes