Unlimited access >

Schooling breeches recs? Yes, another breeches thread

Just an FYI for anyone interested, Maya Delorez is having a big sale right now. I got early access because I signed up for their mailing list, but it’s 30% off. I placed an order as soon as I woke up :joy: if you’re not on the mailing list I think the sale will start tomorrow?

My good friend has both the Performance and the Compression. She said performance is a thinner material but isn’t flimsy, it’s like a light sculpting legging. The Compression is thicker (but not crazy thick like sweatpants) and is very supportive/smoothing. She said both are very flattering.

I ordered the Compression because of the sale. Very excited to try them :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Maya Delorez is exactly the same style as Espirit, probably made in the exact same factory. I personally will purchase the cheapest brand since they are exactly the same except for the logos.

I have Romfh Sarafina’s and am 5’9, and I like my Hadley mid-rise knee patch breeches at least as well as those if not better. And they are much cheaper and currently 20% off.

1 Like

I recently compared all three of these brands - Maya, Free Ride and Espirit. They might all be made in the same place, but the difference in quality and stickiness is really notable. I adore the Maya (both the compression and performance) and use them for everything, including jumping and XC schooling, where I want max stickiness. Their hip logo is also slightly less obvious, which I like. I think they are priced-well for the quality.

The Free Ride lux are super comfy, but as others have said, lighter stickiness, and not much compression. They have become my “weekend” tights for hacks.

I returned the Espirits. I felt that they looked and felt a little meh, and after trying the other two brands, there was no need for a “meh” look or feel.

5 Likes

@SadieRidingHorses - How would you say the sizing compares between Free Ride and Maya Delorez?

I also returned the Espirit for the same reason - they were just okay and I didn’t think I’d wear them.

I did recently purchase a pair of Free Rides based on the recommendations here and quite like them.

2 Likes

^ I am wondering the same. Size charts on the Mayas seem to say go down a size from the FreeRides? But I’d like to know how they compare in fit.

1 Like

I bought one pair of the MD compression breeches this spring and loved the comfort and fit. I didn’t feel embarrassed wearing them on my non-svelte body.

Went online yesterday to order another pair in beige and saw the sale. Ordered two pair. :hugs:

1 Like

I really like the look and the colors… I just can’t pay $150 for “glorified leggings.” Ouch!

Though I will say - I have a couple pairs of the Kerrits light weight ones, and was reminded yesterday that the silicon is non-existent on them. Ugh. There’s no winning!

1 Like

@GreyDes and @phosics, I ordered the same size in both brands and feel like the sizing is comparable, particularly between the Free Ride Lux and the MD performance. The MD compression feel a little snugger - I mean, they are supposed - but I still got the same size and the fit is correct and comfortable.

@SLW I feel your pain - the MDs are addictive, particularly when they go on sale! Other than my one pair of free rides, I basically don’t wear any of my other riding pants anymore and am considering donating them all.

@endlessclimb, I hear you - I very much do not understand $400 breeches and $1000 custom boots - but to me the MDs are worth. Obviously made well, and sticky, and certainly nice enough to replace breeches in every context that I ride and show (LL but recognized dressage and eventing). I stuck largely with Kerrits before but the quality is really inconsistent and sometimes crap. Like worn out by the end of the season. I get more annoyed spending $75 on something I know is crap than $150 on something I know is well-made. But, to each their own.

5 Likes

Thanks! Glad to hear they are similar. I am the same way - sure, I own a few other brands of breeches but 99% of the time I am going for the FreeRides for every ride, especially as it starts to get warmer. It’s worth it to me to have pants that I don’t have to pull and tug at to feel comfortable in, and that look good too.

1 Like

The fabric used for the compression breeches is beefy and there’s zero chance of camel toe in front!! However, don’t let the word compression make you think you can’t breathe or bend over while wearing them.

I love the normal waist line on them too. The past 15 years have been nothing but low rise and mid rise breeches which look nice on heroin chic type bodies, not so much on female bodies who have lived a real life.

I didn’t blink at the $150 sale price because I’ve paid $100+ for Irideon breeches which I love but there’s no comparison between them and MD compression breeches. :hugs:

2 Likes

Screw it.

I bought two.

Let’s see.

5 Likes

@endlessclimb Get it girl! Let us know how you like them.

1 Like

I’ll let you know today, my MD are out for delivery and should be here this afternoon :star_struck:

4 Likes

I hope they exceed your expectation!

1 Like

Me too or they’re going straight back :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Okay yall here is the in depth review of the MD Compression full seats.

Someone else mentioned this, but when you first take them out of the bag, you’ll panic thinking they’re way too small and there is no way they can fit an adult human. They’re EXTREMELY stretchy but also VERY supportive/compressive, they don’t feel like light and thin leggings.

They’re easy to wear, and they don’t show underwear lines or shirt lines (if you tuck your shirt in). They’re breathable and move with you, very flattering fit. They sit at my true natural waist, definitely high rise.

They are STICKY. I felt glued to my saddle this evening but in a good way. The breeches moved with me and didn’t get stuck to my saddle while I was still moving around. I would 100% go XC schooling or competing in these (in tan or white). They’re THAT secure and sticky.

They stayed really clean, didn’t attract dust and have a smooth sheen to them so they’re easy to wipe off if needed. They’re also nice and cool. They’re a thicker material, but I didn’t get too hot while riding. No sagging in the crotch, no gaping in the back, no having to pull them up periodically. They also seemed to get more comfortable the longer I wore them, like they warmed up and shaped to fit me exactly.

Overall impression: 10/10, so glad I spent the money and 100% will buy more in the future. Are they expensive? Yes. Are they worth it? YAS.

Here are a few pictures. I’m 5’2" and ~130 lbs. I ordered a size small.

Now, in comparison to the FR. I have the Empower Hybrid, which is their version of the compression hybrid breeches. The FR have less compression than the MD but are by no means flimsy or thin, just a slightly lighter version. They’re also a little less sticky. I think the FR are a little more comfortable and move with you a little better, but they’re both so comfortable it’s really splitting hairs. They’re both smoothing and shape-holding. I have the FR in size large. They advise you size up one size from your normal (for the Empower Hybrid only). MD advises that if you’re in between sizes, to go down one size. So I’m a small in MD, large in FR Empower, in any other FR model (like the Lux) I am a medium. I wear a 28 in regular breeches across all brands.

Truly the only downside of the MD is the cost. They seem to have sales semi regularly, so I’ll wait until the next sale to grab a pair in tan. Honestly if someone is unsure which one to order, I think they would be happy with either one.

14 Likes

You all are a bad (good?) influence. I just ordered a pair of the Maya Delorez compression tights :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I know this is in the Eventing thread, and I am not an eventer… but I have to say a HUGE thanks because I got the Free Ride hybrids mentioned here and I adore them. I have put on some pounds because of my former job and the pandemic and I was physically and emotionally uncomfortable in my Rompfh Serafinas. I got these and feel MUCH better and more comfortable, and I get complimented daily. It’s my first week wearing them and barnmates are all talking about them! My trainer just bought a bunch after seeing me switch out my Rompfhs for these.

They are so comfortable, flattering, cheap and easy. Were it not for this thread, I would have been unaware. I just got several more pairs today because of their Memorial Day sale. So, THANK YOU! I feel like I am riding in pajamas that make me look more fit. Yay! And they are less than half the price of what I was wearing before. So, thank you!!!

7 Likes

Hi All - great thread and perfect timing as I’m planning on restocking/ replacing my breeches. My fit issue is that I’ve got more ‘fluff’ in the middle, no hips and I’m tall. I love Ariat Tri-factor from the waist down. But above the waistline there is a lovely jelly roll. The fabric on this breech is amazing. If the waist had just more flexibility it wouldn’t be so bad. Do any/ all of the above compression tights dig into the waist? FWIW I wear a 30L in Ariat’s.

Thanks in advance!