Unlimited access >

Searching for a Bereiter position in Germany

Hello,
I am new to this forum. Was hoping for some insight or resources. I am a trainer located in Victoria BC. I specifically train in Dressage.

I would really like to get my Bereiter in Germany. I think it is a good career move. Though I have a good group of horses already and a small handful of wonderful students, I am at the age that it is “now or never”. So I plan to leave for Germany between Nov and Dec 2014.

I leave my life behind here with a heavy heart but with promises of a future at becoming a better trainer for my horses and students.

I have really no “horse” contacts in Germany. I thought I could ask here if anyone knows of trainers in Germany that take on canadians interested in training for Bereiter?

I train classically and have video and references if that helps. As well I have been practicing my German language skills almost daily for the past few months. I am under the impression that not all trainers in Germany can offer a Bereiter program, in which case I would be more then happy to “apprentice” under someone without working towards the bereiter exams.

I train already as a professional and have a good deal of experience with starting horses and a ton of retraining experience. I would like to go to the next level with my training and I am excited to learn more!

thank you!

I am of no real help other than recommend to look at Yard and Groom and Eurodressage job postings.

Also, Nov/ Dec in right around the corner. Have you looked into getting your work visa papers all together? It might take more than a month or two to organize all that. I know when I did an overseas internship it took me 3 or 4 months to get all that paperwork in order (albeit I was going to a difficult country, but still).

Visa info; [URL=“http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/consular_services_consulaires/residence_permit-visa_sejour.aspx?lang=eng”]http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/consular_services_consulaires/residence_permit-visa_sejour.aspx?lang=eng

http://www.pferd-aktuell.de/

Dave Thind is a Canadian now based out of the Boston area who spent many years in German and has his certification all the way up. He just sent his working student over there to get her Bereiter.

He could probably offer you some assistance.

Do you maybe know http://www.crawforddressage.com/id1.html?

Best of luck!

Do you maybe know http://www.crawforddressage.com/id1.html?

Best of luck!

I was told that you can only be granted the actual title of Bereiter if you are German. This person studied in Germany for years and gained a certificate, but could not get the actual “bereiter” title because he is not German.

Love to know if this is correct or not.

I am pretty sure that Lisa Wilcox received her German instructor’s certification while she was living/working in Germany.

I found this info in an old article (2008). Not sure if it is still true, or if the requirements have changed.

The Deutsche Reitliche Vereinigung, or German F.N., is the national Equestrian Federation responsible for governing all disciplines of equestrian sports, breeding and competitions in Germany. Trainer and instructor licenses are obtained from the German Agriculture Ministry and German F.N. at the German Riding School in Warendorf. Instructors can be licensed with the “Bereiter F.N.” title, which allows them to teach riders through a level comparable to Second Level dressage; the “Reitlehrer F.N.” designation allows instructors to teach riders through the higher FEI levels. These certifications are awarded only upon completion of vigorous study courses and riding tests.

I am also not sure if it means you have to study at Warendorf, or only go there for testing and certification.

The whole idea sounds very doubtful to me. There does not seem to have been any research done, and the OP is swanning off to Germany in the hope that she can understand German and be able to exist in the very competitive German world of dressage. She needs to think again, or do a ton of research, make arrangements up front, and have plenty of funds available. Link to German FN posted above.

Sounds exactly like what Catherine Haddad did. It worked for her, who knows if it will work for the OP or not? Nothing to lose by trying.

Didn’t Michelle Gibson also earn her bereiter-- and briefly return to Germany after the '96 Olympics to teach there?

its no longer called “bereiter” its pferdewirt or pferdewirtchaftmeister (if you do the masters program). The pferdewirt is a 3 year program. I suggest you read and understand this PDF before attempting to go down this road. It’s not like it used to be. The other hurdle (other than language, getting into the school and being able to stay in Germany for 3 years) is that students have to complete the apprenticeship program at a stable that is licensed to take apprentices for the FN program. The ones I know will ONLY take students coming out of Warendorf after having completed the first year classroom program. There are other programs that “foreigners” can take - that are shorter and get you lesser degrees.

But it is NOT true that any trainer in Germany can take apprentices for the Pferdewirt program degree. Only those who have taken all the classwork/degrees and have been licensed by the FN to take apprentices can do so and have their students be eligible to take their FN examinations.

OP is leaving next month! That’s some hopeful thinking.

dose the final test still include jumping? When my friend got his the test was riding simple and double bridle at about 4th level, jumping ( about 3"6" ) lunge, oral exam and written exam.

Back then ( 1990) he was out in the world and went to Warrendorf for the exam

I would check with people on the German horse forum; most of them speak or can at least understand some written English.

www.pferd.de

Here is the official guide to the Pferdewirtin Ausbildung:

http://berufenet.arbeitsagentur.de/berufe/start?dest=profession&prof-id=77689

If you do go, you should definitely start a blog. I imagine there would be a lot of interesting adventures associated with this life change. I would definitely read it.

You know what else would be nice?

If, after asking for help and having roughly ten people provide links, contacts, and leads to pursue, OP would come back with an update and say, “Hey, thanks guys.”

Just a wee hint to consider.

It looks flaky guys.

OP profile;
Total Posts
Total Posts 1
Posts Per Day 0.11

G[B]eneral Information[/B]
Last Activity Oct. 6, 2014 03:55 AM               
Join Date Sep. 27, 2014

Well, OP, if you’re quite serious and have a resume you’re willing to share, I can put you in touch with my trainer, who is German and still has excellent contacts at Warendorf. But I warn you he can be a little:winkgrin:…“German”

Hello,
thanks for the patience in a response.

These are some helpful links. I also think this is a great thread for anyone else researching this route.

I also managed to find some more info this weekend at a clinic. I did not know anything about Licenses for training in Germany as well.

Apparently an alternative way to go is through classes.
So a “class5” would be a two week course that allows riders to then go on and compete and work horses in Germany. I think it’s very basic stuff, sitting correctly, general theory and proper application and use of aids.

Then one would wait…I think 6 months for a “class 4”. This, if I heard correctly is equivalent to passing a level 4 dressage test and I think 3’3" jumping.
A year later, “class3”.
Which is more difficult as the level tested is much higher and the jumping much bigger. I may be a bit off with the time frames and specifics but it’s a general outline.

However you would pay cash for all of this and I do not think it’s as highly respected as the three year pferdwirt. Or the almost seven year pferdwirtschaft-meister. I think with the classes one would be considered an “amateur trainer” in Germany.
But apparently is does open doors.

The visa if under thirty five is a youth visa. BUT, three months in advance to the date of departure. So that does put the time frame into perspective.