Selevit Injectable

There is a lot of discussion of this situation elsewhere, and many people are saying that there was conversation between the vets via phone throughout the horse’s time in Riyadh.

1 Like

Oh, I know why, but I still giggled about the other 2 examples in comparison to the lowly little water pill

1 Like

What “many people are saying” doesn’t mean much. If the owner said that, it would be different.

8 Likes

The owner has noticeably not made a statement about the vets’ communications, except to say that treatments to the horse were supposed to be run by her or her vet. Apparently the treatments in question were not run by her. But were they run by her vet? It’s unclear.

1 Like

It seems clear to me. :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

@Virginia_Horse_Mom, that may be true, but perhaps not about this. I haven’t seen anything to indicate otherwise.

2 Likes

thank you for this summary of events!

Interesting.
If they agreed to or did run other treatments by her or her vet, but not this one for some reason… Yikes.

ETA
I understand some are relying on the idea that the owner signed the routine release.
Maybe she did.
Or maybe she revised it in writing or verbally.
We don’t know, none of us have seen it, have we?
So relying on what it usually says to suggest that’s what it outlined this time… Meh.
Sure, go with that, but with the caveat that we don’t actually know that to be the case. Yet.

Exactly

2 Likes

This statement, and anyone being concerned about the number of injections this horse received being called “pearl clutchers” says all we need to hear about how this level of the sport views the rest of the world. Also the further implications that the owner is lying about communications with the vet or what injections the horse received because other people on the internet say they are lying so they must be true is another issue. Now the USEF has to deal with a nobody owner making a stink on Facebook because their horse is dead.

9 Likes

That is not what has been said on this thread.

Both the owner and USEF have made multiple public statements, and there are still many aspects of this situation that do not make a lot of sense, and other aspects that no one has spoken to yet (was there communication between vets? was the horse given a recovery treatment after round one? did the team vet get permission from owners/riders/management team of the other two horses who were given selevit after round 2?) There are many things no one is speaking about publicly right now, and multiple key people who aren’t speaking publicly. The owner had made statements about the US Team vet… and he has essentially been accused of malpractice and killing a horse. But he has not yet had a chance to give his side of the situation… maybe everyone should just pause and let it play out.

There are multiple things going on with this… off label use of selevit, using intense multi medication regimens to “help” horses in an FEI competition situation that involves jumping multiple rounds over multiple days, and the whole aspect of owners signing an agreement to loan their horse to the Team and give over all care and custody decisions in the process.

All I’m saying is MAYBE everyone should slow down slightly, and consider that there may be things about the situation the public is unaware of. It sure seems like the off label selevit was a tragic error - it certainly has killed other horses in high profile incidents. It sure seems like the USEF communications response certainly has been less than optimal - that shouldn’t surprise anyone. And it’s certain that the owner and groom loved the horse and are grieving. But beyond that… a lot is unknown. It’s a serious situation involving the death of a 7 figure horse on the world stage, and someone’s professional career as a practicing team veterinarian at the highest level. Maybe it’s wise to just consider there are aspects of the situation that are unknown just yet, and not rush to judgement. Let the legal process play out (if the owner pursues legal action).

12 Likes

I’m not saying I don’t agree with you. I’m saying she signed a release that said they can do whatever they want without contacting jack squat. And that’s exactly what they did.
The release doesn’t say “but as a courtesy we will first consult with you, your groom and your vet before we do anything with this horse”

This is an abject lesson to not only be very careful
About everything that you (g) sign and ensure that you read it carefully and fully understand what it says.

3 Likes

I never said there was one, my point as stated by others above, was that the Groom did get a phone call by someone to go to the Team Vet for treatment. He clearly had a bad feeling as he called the owner and was worried (her words not mine) and I’m wondering if other grooms of more high profile riders who compete at that level more frequently get those phone calls too.

I highly suspect they don’t, and its actually reversed, the groom/manager/personal vet is telling them Team vet what to give.

4 Likes

She signed the release giving them permission

3 Likes

That was in response to someone who said, “maybe the owner said to go ahead.”

4 Likes

Ah I see.
I just can’t even imagine all the blood sweat and tears and of course $$ that went into producing a horse to that level for it end this way.
I have a homebred , a few actually, and while they are nice horses and I have a ton of all of the above invested, none of mine will ever go to the World Cup. But I know how I would feel to lose one of them so tragically.

3 Likes

But is what is being implied on Facebook, and continues to be implied with a recent video, (and thus being discussed here) by someone who was not there in person and stated that their information came from friends of theirs who overheard parts of phone conversations in the barn aisles. I agree that many things are unknown and likely to remain unknown, but I do not see a reason to believe to someone who go their information through a game of telephone over the owner at this point. In addition, the USEF’s original and follow up statements do not give me reason to believe them either. I certainly don’t believe the vet went “rogue” either, nor do I know where that came from. I would assume a team vet discusses what will be done with a horse with SOMEONE.

14 Likes

I can appreciate where you are coming from.

I definitely don’t think USEF is being forthright.

I think we agree more than disagree about most of this situation.

As I said earlier, the only thing I know for sure is that people are sincerely grieving the very sad loss of this horse, and that IV selevit seems like a seriously risky choice. Very sad

13 Likes

usef is absolutely not being forthright. Why should they be? I imagine they are getting ready for the lawsuit for either or both the horse owner and the insurance company. there are a lot of moving parts here and I expect this will get pretty ugly and remain so for some time. Also, I wonder how it may affect the Team getting horses in the future now that this is coming out.

7 Likes

Blockquote

@MHM I am rejoining this thread a bit late, so if you already got info, please forgive the repeat. Owner was right there. The horse was under “conservancy” of USEF/USET, and they had all the control to make any and all choices for the horse–per written contract for a “team” event. So they could, and did, administer whatever to him as they felt necessary. No consultation with the owner was required. Yes, she was there.

4 Likes

@Amberley @Virginia_Horse_Mom @enjoytheride
Dang, I’d like to see that who wrote that now removed post. IF KMSFH, I wouldn’t believe a thing she says. Also, this same type of wording is used by an anonymous poster on Horseshowdiva. Chromatic jumped big classes in a consistent jumper schedule the past year or more. He qualified for WC at Vegas in the fall of 2023, he was second at Thermal in–I believe March-- a 1.45m Welcome Stake. Not trying to prove anything to you all…just saying he’s been competing regularly, and I’m not sure what this poster has against the program, KC, Jill, Rudy??? Or maybe just jealousy. She/he…but I suspect SHE, is completely unhinged!!! IMHO.

5 Likes