Selevit Injectable

I read somewhere that Selenium O.D can cause pulmonary hemorraging, so, I hope the attorneys find that info. ANY vet would issue that CYA, ridiculous or not, to avoid liability!!

2 Likes

Was this already asked

So if the owner has the horse insured and a team vet (not horses normal vet) gave the horse a med without owner permission that killed them, what does insurance do?
Apologies if already asked and answered.

1 Like

I think that the person who actually administered the shot wasn’t even a vet, at least not according to US standards.
In any event they didn’t need anyone’s permission due to the release that was signed.
If probably depends on what coverage they have on the horse, and of what the insurance company had been made aware prior to the incident.
I know I had a mare insured for a decent amount and when I had her bred I had to notify the insurance company, there was an increased premium etc. Had I not notified them and she had died , for example, they could have refused coverage.

2 Likes

IIRC, the veterinarian is properly credentialed in the jurisdiction in which he was practicing.
ETA: He is on the USEF “Jumping Veterinarian Panel” .
“US standards” sounds like thinly disguised snottiness, any road.

22 Likes

I watched the NYT documentary on horse racing last night. Disgusting and with this I’m not sure we are any better. We ban some therapeutic meds and let folks give this crap? To deny that injection didn’t kill that horse is beyond ridiculous malpractice. I hope the owner has the resources to get some modicum of justice.

7 Likes

Didn’t mean it to. Somewhere during all of this there was some information that while he may be under his countries standards it was not as stringent as that in the US, and that he sort of like a nurse practitioner. If I misunderstood then I stand corrected.

2 Likes

USEF was 100 percent trying to cover their asses on this one, wonder who performed the necropsy as well
I’m no vet, but the ruling seemed like utter B.S. that happened to result in favor of USEF, exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage doesn’t wait until nearly two hours after strenuous exercise

8 Likes

I believe the necropsy was performed in Saudi Arabia, if I’ve understood KC Branscomb’s comments on her FB page. Seems reasonable, as shipping a dead horse body somewhere else seems unreasonable to me.

It’s in the original article posted by COTH that was shared I believe and mentioned a couple times at least. The necropsy was done at King Faisal University in Saudi Arabia.

4 Likes

They can always take blood and tissue samples or even organs to send to a lab in the states if the owner wanted

1 Like

This.^^
And it should never have been given the first time, or to any horse.

ETA: I’m not against medicating. But it should be for actual, diagnosed issues, or for reasonable on-label administration for maintenance. All my horses had Adequan and/or Legend when appropriate, but they were administered per label instructions and at the stated intervals recommended, not as part of some magic cocktail.

17 Likes

Circling back to the “use agreement”, if I am reading the following correctly, according to the agreement USEF can do whatever they want and do not maintain insurance on the horse. This use agreement is worse than any lease agreement I have ever seen. I do hope that there are repercussions to USEF for this action.

The USEF does not carry insurance on any horses placed in its custody and cannot be responsible for any accident, lameness,
illness, or injury that could happen during stabling, training, transportation or competition. You may, of course, maintain
your own insurance coverage.
For purposes of horse welfare, by signing this Agreement the horse owner(s) give their full permission to the USEF and its
agents to administer medication to their horse(s) in the interest of the horse(s) welfare and well-being during the loan period.

13 Likes

I never thought for one second USEF maintained their own insurance on those horses but I sure hope the owners do.

3 Likes

A month later and I still think about this daily.
Besides the fact that a horse died, the thing that feels the most icky to me about this is that USEF has been sanctioning using meds when it benefits them in ways that they tell the lower level competitors not to. Do as I say, not as I do.

Unless i’m very mistaken, the idea has always been if its being given to enhance performance, reduce pain, or calm a horse down it’s banned. Thats why it’s technically illegal to give large amounts of magnesium before a hunter class, even if magnesium isn’t banned. So was that arnica just in there for funsies? I dont think so, USEF. That’s for pain control. I think you were breaking your own rules.

And that’s not even getting into the 12h rule on injections.

28 Likes

I believe the horse was not showing the following day, so the 12 hour rule aspect would not have been an issue in that particular case.

But wasn’t that why they wanted to inject him at that time, because that permissable to inject window was closing?

3 Likes

The horse was supposed to be presented for a jog, IIRC. I believe that falls under competition rules.

1 Like

I believe so; I believe they were coming up on the 6h closing window. But, selenium could be considered an electrolyte, which would directly break both rules. Unless I’m reading that incorrectly.

2 Likes

By whom? Not by any definition I know.

10 Likes

Remember this was an FEI competition not a USEF competition. Not saying you’re wrong, just that different rules apply.