Unlimited access >

Sending a message to horse’s new owners?

Please do not, repeat do not send that letter. It’s been a year and a half now, time to move on. Start up lessons, lease another horse.

1 Like

Two horses I sold, unasked by me, both new owners sent me follow ups and pictures. They both seemed to be happy in their new homes and loved by their new young owners. There’s only one that I am still in contact with as she’s in my ponyclub. I do miss her but she has a forever home and is doted on by her new mom.

1 Like

I would send a shortened, more professional letter to the new owners IF:

1. You can afford the horse and cost of upkeep now

2. Your intention is to own the horse free and clear and not come “back into her life” under her current ownership. Meaning that this isn’t a way to sidle in as a trainer or part-boarder or whatever. That is when situations can get messy.

I know peoples financial situations can change (marriage/divorce, graduating school, big job promotion etc) so it’s not outside the realm of possibility that you can afford the horse now or in near future.

I reached out once via text and once via email to the woman I gave my horse to and unfortunately got no response. As much as I would love an update or pics, I left it at that. It’s her choice to communicate with me or not, she is under no obligation to me.

Examine your motivation, edit the letter, sent it, and let it be.

I’ve worked with many horses over the years & while there truly are special heart horses that stand out, I’ve come across many that speak to me on this level :slight_smile: so, if she has a good home I would let it go.

If you are financially able to purchase & support this horse, send a short & sweet message: “Hello, I used to ride Horse for the previous owner, glad to see she’s doing well, if you ever need/want to sell or retire her please let me know”

Some people may find your whole post odd , wrong or disturbing but I don’t.

I see someone who found a horse they clicked with and I see nothing wrong in reaching out to the new (er) owners. If I got a letter like that I would feel incredibly touched and look at my horse with new eyes.

I would also keep your info in case something changed. Most of us want our horses to go to someone who will love and cherish them as we do, if the need to sell ever comes along.

Send the letter and leave it at that.

1 Like

Why does this have to be so hard?
Send them a text, hey, do you still have x horse?
Hey, would you consider selling her for x price?

We dont need to overthink it.

1 Like

Interesting strategy. Outright offer to purchase? Not the worst idea, in all honesty.

2 Likes

Only if the offer is a reasonable offer, not an embarrassingly low offer.

1 Like