September Yearling Sales 2020

When the auctioneers talk about a horse is working they are referring to a sibling of the horse in the ring, usually a 2 year old. So they are indicating that the family is “live” and that not only do you see good horses on the page, but there are also (hopefully) more good relatives coming along.

A 2yo that is working at the track is in the last stages of getting ready to race. A work from the gate generally means that they are getting closer to starting in a race.

So it’s just a way of adding a little hype–especially if the 2yo half-sibling brought a big price as a yearling.

2 Likes

:confused:

Arrogate is by Unbridled’s Song. He isn’t related to Tapit in any meaningful way.

2 Likes

@snaffle1987 I think your “double secretariat” came through the mare Ball Chairman. Though she was bred to Sadlers Wells.

brain fart on my end. her maternal 3rd dam is by secretariat. Perfect Soul (sire) is out of a mare by Secretariat. Filyl bred by the great Mr Fipke

I mentioned Tapit because Tapit’s are hard headed. (Anyone remember Lani). Not because Arrogate and Tapit are related. Hence i said “Like some Tapit’s” . You understood my comment incorrectly .

So if there’s no connection between Tapit and Arrogate, what you’re wondering is whether any or all horses might be hot headed because some Tapits are?

Or is it just all gray horses you’re worried about?

3 Likes

Thanks, LaurieB. I have other racing questions but won’t sidetrack this thread by asking them here/now. I find it interesting that the auctioneers will tell the SAME information about each sire as if it’s the FIRST time it’s being mentioned. I think I’m learning how important the dam side is due to the widely varying sale prices of the yearlings.

Seen a LOT that I like (for sport) but learned long ago that my personality does not suit the average Thoroughbred. (Had an OTTB named Arbor Gate by Apalachee out of Look To Me.) But I DO love the Thoroughbred breed!

The reason the same info is given about every sire repeatedly is that most buyers don’t sit in one place and watch (or listen to) the sale. They’re back at the barns, or talking to vets, or checking out the horses they plan to bid on next. So for the people that matter it’s just a gentle reminder of a stallion’s worth, since they only tend to hear the info once or twice–and that’s only if they’re paying attention, LOL.

Most of the rest of us just tune it out.

1 Like

Question…how is it decided which session/book the horses are sold in? Is there a benefit to certain sessions/books vs others?

In theory, the sales company decides which horses are in which book. They send inspection teams around to look at some, most, or all of the entries (depending on which company and which sale). But small consignors are asked to provide input (or a wish list) and the sales companies allot big consignors a certain number of hips in each book and then let them decide which of their horses goes where. As a seller, you ask for what you want, but you often end up with what either the sales company or your consignor wants you to have.

Yes, there is a huge benefit to being catalogued in the right book. If your horse is book 3 quality but you get stuck in book 1 as “filler” no one will even bother to look at your horse. By book six, most of the buyers and nearly all of the money has already gone home, so no one wants to sell there. Nearly everyone with a well bred yearling with good conformation wants to be in book 2 or 3–but there are only so many spots to go around. Usually when selling, you’re just hoping to get lucky.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for that information LaurieB!

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are talking about the same mare, Ball Chairman and she was bred by W.S. Kilroy not Charles Fipke.

The only (slightly) unusual part of that pedigree is that Perfect Soul is the colt’s sire and his full sister is the colt’s second dam.

TBs have a closed book, so having a stallion appear top and bottom is not uncommon, especially 3 and 4 generations back.:yes:

Anyway, Sadlers Wells had no Secretariat blood so none came “via” him. I think you are misunderstanding what that means in pedigree terms.

1 Like

Well fed :lol: Honor Code filly hip #1124 sold well 240K

1 Like

Your favorite https://vimeo.com/453163330 was RNA at 95K.

Lord Nelson colt 460K !

So this was very confusing. #564 at Keeneland is a bay with no spots. When someone posted the link for the Tetrach spotted horse, it was #563 at Fasig Tipton.

Can you fix your post so no one else wastes time scratching their head over this?

The horse was hip#564 at Fasig Tipton not Keeneland, thus the F.T. http://www.fasigtipton.com/2020/Selected-Yearlings-Showcase#/ecvid/videos/63483?column=sire&filter=arrogate

@ottb I’ve looked back and there is nothing incorrect in my posts.:slight_smile: I probably should have spelled out Fasig Tipton instead of using the initials?
The link I posted upon request, earlier in this thread, was for Fasig Tipton hip # 564 which is the correct horse.

I expect hip #1203 to be popular. Beautiful Quality Road colt in the ring now. 775K hammer.