Shoulder blues Ridiculous update!

Please purchase a roll of Glad Press’N Seal for covering your incision while showering ~ makes life easier !

You might want to get your hair trimmed just before so it is easier to comb through. I was in the shower the next day. The Dr told me to just not get the incisions wet. I think I washed the hair the day after that. I didn’t use a sling or anything in the shower, just kept the forearm at 90 degrees and close to my body. I’ve never used a Press N Seal but that sounds great.

JMO, but I wouldn’t have wanted to go out to get my hair washed. The leaning back into the sink, sitting in a chair that your arm/sling/wedge may not fit into that well, the possible waiting, sometimes annoying pop music, maybe the hair dresser bumping into you, having to conversation a bit - hell no. People vary, though, maybe this would work for you.

Oh, I had 4 incisions, maybe 1/2" long, dissolvable stitches, steri-strips over them. The incisions are starting to fade. Now, at 10 months out, it still has some tight days. If I do some of the stretches I was given, it goes back to behaving.

Teach hubby how to do a pony tail now, if you wear one. I liked the thin hairbands best for awhile as people seemed to make me pinchy pony tails.

[B]Should be noted that if one goes home with a shoulder ‘block’ for pain meds *which is often the case ``there is no showering until that apparatus is removed by medical staff usually after a few days.

In addition, if one goes home with a ‘vomit’ patch … there is no showering nor washing hair until that is removed.

One may very well feel ok the day after but it’s the next days after the block is off [/B]:eek: that gets one’s attention ! :lol:[B]

The ‘stabilization’ of the arm/shoulder ( when not involved in passive PT exercises ) makes a world of difference in comfort … thus I recommend a cheap ER cotton sling for supporting your ‘involved’ arm while showering until you are a bit stronger.

Life is not a piece of cake after this surgery and any and all comfort hacks should be considered. IMHO.

[/B]

“In addition, if one goes home with a ‘vomit’ patch … there is no showering nor washing hair until that is removed.”

I just shower & avoid that area. It stays on, seems to stay quite intact and the (white cream) medicine would still be in there when I’d take it off a few days later. One could, I guess, use a Press N Seal over it. Perhaps I didn’t worry about it too much, as I’ve usually got a few extra of those patches around (due to always getting nausea from any air travel or long car trips).

My ‘vomit’ patch was on the back of my neck/head area … my first last and only one

[QUOTE=beaujolais;8663362]
“In addition, if one goes home with a ‘vomit’ patch … there is no showering nor washing hair until that is removed.”

I just shower & avoid that area. It stays on, seems to stay quite intact and the (white cream) medicine would still be in there when I’d take it off a few days later. One could, I guess, use a Press N Seal over it. Perhaps I didn’t worry about it too much, as I’ve usually got a few extra of those patches around (due to always getting nausea from any air travel or long car trips).[/QUOTE]

My ‘vomit’ patch was placed on the back of my neck/ head … I never saw it until it was removed by medical staff…

That was the First - Last and ONLY one I have ever been around :lol: thus I know virtually Nothing Zero Nada about the patch except I was told not to get it wet.

Thank goodness I do not have to use ‘vomit’ patches :winkgrin:

I am not planning on leaving the house those first few days at least so would probably skip the salon but will keep that in mind if I get desperate. One of my good friends is my hair dresser, she does my hair at my house as it is so I am sure she could wash it here if I wanted her to but that would likely involve bending over the sink. I am not too worried about the hair, I am more creeped out about shaving my legs or the lack thereof. I am a shave 365 days per year at least once because I like the way it feels afterward type.

For leg shaving, and after surgery showers, get one of the plastic shower stools for secure sitting. They are the metal and plastic ones they sell in the pharmacy section, they’re very secure, and you can put your legs up on the soap or shampoo bump out or something, and shave your legs one at a time, without bending over very much. Here’s a selection from Walgreens:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/shower-seats/ID=361813-tier3

I think the type without the back would be better. If you have a really big shower, maybe two stools, one to prop your leg against, and one to sit on. The height of the seat is adjustable on some.

If you’re using a shower, then between the handheld shower head or regular shower, and the stool, you can wash your hair, and shower while being very stable.

I made it through two hip surgeries with just a lawn chair in the shower but it may be time to spring for something a little more suitable.

The plastic shower stools are very cheap (backless are less than $30, and available at all drug stores, Wal-Mart, and other places), and I worry about you over balancing, and hitting your shoulder.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8663499]
I am not planning on leaving the house those first few days at least so would probably skip the salon but will keep that in mind if I get desperate. One of my good friends is my hair dresser, she does my hair at my house as it is so I am sure she could wash it here if I wanted her to but that would likely involve bending over the sink. I am not too worried about the hair, I am more creeped out about shaving my legs or the lack thereof. I am a shave 365 days per year at least once because I like the way it feels afterward type.[/QUOTE]

Ask for dry shampoo that works without water.
You can smear it on, towel off and leaves your hair very nice.

That is what hospice uses, works good.

You can wash well with those wet things, Wet Ones one brand, until you can shower.

[QUOTE=JanM;8664088]
The plastic shower stools are very cheap (backless are less than $30, and available at all drug stores, Wal-Mart, and other places), and I worry about you over balancing, and hitting your shoulder.[/QUOTE]

Just the thought of that makes me shudder.

just saying …one does not EVEN want to ‘shudder’ with a fresh shoulder :winkgrin:

Please do not get too scared, Ms. Laurierace! It was rough but far and away easier than herniated discs, imo. (I believe you’ve had some disc issues, IIRC.) The shoulder repair pain, even if strong, at least, is a more “normal” type pain than that hideous electrical, neurological disc pain.

Pre-op appointment tomorrow, any questions I should ask that you can think of? I plan to ask if he uses a nerve block, I hope he does. Anything else?

Best wishes.

How many anchors do they expect to put in? Do they reattach the biceps tendon & why or why not? How will you be treated for pain? Do you go home with an in-dwelling catheter block delivery pump? (I had a 24 hour local block at the time of surgery, no catheter. Some Drs. don’t like catheter delivery systems as they say you risk infection that way.). Tell them you want to be premeditated for nausea & have a take home nausea script.

Best wishes.

If you decided to leave it, will it get worse & be harder to repair? How many anchors do they expect to put in? Do they reattach the biceps tendon & why or why not? How will you be treated for pain? Do you go home with an in-dwelling catheter block delivery pump? (I only had a 24 hour local block at the time of surgery, no catheter. Some Drs. don’t like catheter delivery systems as they say you risk infection that way.). Tell them you want to be premeditated for nausea & have a take home nausea script.

Yeah, the leave it thing is off the table. It is way too bad for that now. I do like the rest of the questions, thanks.

Well, that didn’t go as expected. Not sure if it would be considered good news or bad news but it is news. I now have a frozen shoulder and they can’t do the rotator cuff/labrum fix now. They are going to have me consent to three procedures and will decide what they are going to do once they get me knocked out. Worst case they free up the shoulder and I have the other surgery about 6 weeks later. Best case they free up the shoulder and that takes care of the majority of my pain and I don’t need the rotator cuff and labrum surgery at all.

If they put me out and all of a sudden they can manipulate my shoulder completely they will do the originally scheduled surgery. If they can’t, they will free up the shoulder but they may stick a scope in to take a look at the labrum before they do that since it wasn’t visible on the MRI. Nothing like operating room roulette yet again! This was the exact same sort of thing as with my first hip surgery. They were pretty sure the problem was the hip but they didn’t know what until they went in.

OK, you win the most uncooperative body award. Not a simple one, are you? :no:

Well, frozen shoulders are pretty common as is the procedure they are suggesting. I had a mild frozen one once or twice for a bit that resolved with PT, but it was not to your degree. So sorry.

Remember the saying, “The only way out is through.” Also, Winston Churchill said, “When going through hell, just keep going.”

True that they can’t see some things until they get in there.

Tell us a little about your Doc (if you wish). I’m sure he’s great but would you feel more secure with a second opinion? (I bet you want to scream at the idea of more appointments, though.) However, I believe they would want to get going on it ASAP so it doesn’t get more frozen.

The doctor isn’t the problem, he did send me immediately to PT, it just didn’t help. What I didn’t understand was I had to have full mobility in order to have the surgery, I was under the impression that the fact that PT didn’t work meant I had to have the surgery. Not sure who dropped the ball there, could be me, could have been my PT, maybe all of us. I can’t do anything any sooner because I am going to Switzerland on Wednesday.