Shoulder blues Ridiculous update!

Laurierace - one of my old trainers used to threaten to take me out behind the barn and shoot me due to all of my medical issues…

I think you just won that prize!

I had a frozen shoulder following my humeral fracture (repaired, pins removed, PT, then frozen/stuck with no full ROM). Had a surgery to release the shoulder–they would do it with you awake but the screams and fainting from the agony is just so unpleasant to witness!! :winkgrin: (this, according to my PT at the time. said with a smirk and an evil look in his eye may I add!)

The best outcome is you get full ROM and they nose about inside and find nothing to fix. This could be a good thing! On the other hand, you will definitely know what’s up in there after this one and can plan for more surgery. Buck up! You can do this!!

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;8668698]
I had a frozen shoulder following my humeral fracture (repaired, pins removed, PT, then frozen/stuck with no full ROM). Had a surgery to release the shoulder–they would do it with you awake but the screams and fainting from the agony is just so unpleasant to witness!! :winkgrin: (this, according to my PT at the time. said with a smirk and an evil look in his eye may I add!)

The best outcome is you get full ROM and they nose about inside and find nothing to fix. This could be a good thing! On the other hand, you will definitely know what’s up in there after this one and can plan for more surgery. Buck up! You can do this!![/QUOTE]

Yeah he said I have way more pain than he would expect from a torn labrum and/or torn RC so there is a pretty good chance the pain is coming from the shoulder being frozen. Makes sense since the pain has gotten worse lately as my ROM has decreased. Would be nice to get off without any cutting. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

“the doctor isn’t the problem”

Oh, I was not implying that at all. I remember you’ve used some great Doctors that you liked a lot in the past. I was probably just being nosy or something like that.

Idea: I wonder if lidocaine patches, Flector patches (which are Voltren, I believe) or even the over the counter Icy Hot patches would help for the time being. I find they can make things more comfortable. I used them near daily on the bad shoulder for a few years.

Have a great trip!

I second the lido patches, they were a big help with mine before surgery.

It is entirely possible you are having pain from the frozen shoulder, while mine wasn’t frozen I did have a heck of a time in my immobilizer because my muscles just wanted to MOVE so badly… Hopefully that’s your problem and they won’t have to do any major repairs after they free it up and take a look around.

Hang in there and try put it out of your mind while you’re in Switzerland! Enjoy your trip :yes:

I woke up with a post stressful situation migraine this morning. Not good when you have a house filled with Preakness guests and wall to wall activities. I wish I had it to do all over again, I would have made an appointment to talk to the doctor instead of scheduling the surgery with his secretary directly. He could have told me then that I had to get the joint mobile first. I could have done this weeks ago and would be well on my way to healing. And maybe the second surgery would be scheduled or we would know I don’t need that one. Oh well, there are no do overs, I really have a good feeling about this mobilization procedure, I think it may do the trick. If so I have a summer filled with riding my amazing mare instead of a summer of suck. End of pity party, cue positive thinking.

“Oh well, there are no do overs,”

So very, tragically true.

I would NEVER have worked in medicine (or only in outpatient). Now, I’m minus a c.spine, l.spine, 2 shoulders and have 2 bad feet. My patients would often say, “This must make you really strong.” I’d say, “No, it completely ruins you.” One of the first things I’d tell the new students is that this kind of work is probably going to trash your body in a big way. That was a bit strong to say but they should be aware and I have lots of anger/pain/depression about it, besides a ruined income.

Say, do you think you’d like this? I sometimes, at night, wrap it around my shoulder or any other bad body part, neck when I have headaches or just on the feet in the winter. It is awesome. I use it everyday, for one reason or another.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Creek-BedWarmer-Heating-Pad/dp/B001UUB8BO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_121_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41X4lHKp8SL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=1CPSRDQJT0GAF30NM9B5

Note on the above product: It is warrantied for two years from the manufacturer. I think the company made it so it gives out at about the same time. (I’ve had a few of these over the years.) Keep the receipt so when it dies at just before or around the two year mark, you send it back to Battle Creek for a replacement.

I will look into that, thanks.

[QUOTE=beaujolais;8669438]
"
Say, do you think you’d like this? I sometimes, at night, wrap it around my shoulder or any other bad body part, neck when I have headaches or just on the feet in the winter. It is awesome. I use it everyday, for one reason or another.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Creek-BedWarmer-Heating-Pad/dp/B001UUB8BO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_121_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41X4lHKp8SL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL160_SR160%2C160&refRID=1CPSRDQJT0GAF30NM9B5

Note on the above product: It is warrantied for two years from the manufacturer. I think the company made it so it gives out at about the same time. (I’ve had a few of these over the years.) Keep the receipt so when it dies at just before or around the two year mark, you send it back to Battle Creek for a replacement.[/QUOTE]

I have this, or a smaller variation, which is considerably cheaper. I replace mine annually since it gets used by the old, arthritic cat almost daily. Worth $20 to me for less worry about burning the house down. I buy them at Christmas when they are on sale.

To be fair, every job will take a physical toll on the body. It varies with the job, but there are physical consequences to even the most benign occupations. There is no magic job that someone can do without adverse physical effects for 20 or 30 years.

True. My attorneys tell me most of their cases come from those working in healthcare or construction, though

Lunch view

image.jpg

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8679784]

Lunch view[/QUOTE]
[B]
just saying … IF I did not think so highly of you, Laurierace

I’d be inclined to call you a “Zitch” [/B]:lol:[B] as my "lunch view’ has never been and most likely will never ever be as spectacular as yours… just saying …

but thank for sharing your [/B][B]sunshine …lovely !

and I hope you’re enjoying every moment ! .

ZZ[/B]

Sorry Zu Zu! If it makes you feel any better my shoulder hurts like a zitch. I lost track of how many times it bit me today but remember the worst one was when I tried to put my hair up in a ponytail. I could still do that last week without pain. Just goes to show how much it is deteriorating.

I want you to do three things …please & thank you ?

1. Enjoy the ‘H’ out of your vacation ! :yes: :smiley:

2. Get that shoulder fixed ! :yes: :eek:

3. Get back to ‘pony-tailing’ and ready for some FALL riding ! :cool: :smiley:

ALL will be fine with time … and a little ? No No a lot of PATIENCE !

Will all be a bad memory before you know it ~ really.

Enjoy your trip ~ very very jealous but thrilled for YOU !

Let me know of this works. We are having a great yet exhausting time. Definitely making the most of it and seeing as much as we can.
https://www.facebook.com/Laurierace/media_set?set=a.10153691280331375.1073741836.603581374&type=3&pnref=story

Yes! How nice, hope you have a good day.

Saw these in a church in Germany, thought they might come in handy for my surgery.

image.jpg

:lol: YES ! Best get a CASE OR TWO ! :winkgrin:

^^^^^ That is fantastic! You can get those on Amazon, too, no fooling. I looked for some reason.

Nice photos, looks like an awesome vacation & you look great, esp. considering what you deal with!

(I was just at the Devon show for a few days, which was wonderful.)

Well … Switzerland & Devon & ?

Great ! One in Switzerland :cool:

One at [B]Devon ~ eating [/B][B]that FUDGE ! [/B]:D

And moi ... Cleaning stalls and the garage :lol:

[B]Lucky you 'guys' !

But I’ll get to the ‘Bluegrass State’ later this summer [/B]:smiley: