Unlimited access >

Show breech help

Hi! I rode western (I did trail rides) , then switched to English to do hunter/jumper. I started lessons this year and my trainer wants me to be in a show this September! I have my tall boots, a helmet cover, a long sleeve show shirt, gloves…now I need help picking out my first pair of show breeches. I’m so confused with the side-zip and front-zip and pullons and ribb fabric vs the normal smooth stuff…so I need help. Also:jackets are being waived, Texas heat is hot!
1 - size or front zip? Which is more comfortable and looks better?
2 - “ribbed” fabric? What does that mean?
3 - rib or smooth fabric(like tights)?

I know I’m getting tan/beige knee patch breeches, but that’s it. I would appreciate it if someone can give me (relatively cheap) options to look into. I’ve looked at Dover, and just got confused.

Thanks beforehand!

Get these

https://www.smartpakequine.com/tuff-rider-ribb-low-rise-knee-patch-breeches-6914p

Or these

https://www.smartpakequine.com/on-course-cotton-naturals-low-rise-knee-patch-5198p

Get two pair so you can get cheap shipping :slight_smile: Also if you don’t like them, you can return them. If you don’t like them six months from now, you can return them. If they fall apart in a year, you can return them. Dover also has a super return policy, but their shipping is ridiculous.

Welcome to the herd! For breeches you need side zip - no question. The On-Course Cotton Naturals are really thick and hot and high waisted. Ribbed means polyester and hot in a bad way. These Riding Sport look like a good option. They are really affordable and are advertised as breathable. Looks like they have the more fashionable lower waist with wide belt loops. Get a cute wide belt in the boy’s department at Walmart and you’ll be all set. Be sure to wear a hairnet. All hair goes up in the helmet.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rdng-sport-cmp-ii-s-zip-breech/p/X1-35899/

I can get on board with a more updated style, but I just can’t get on board with sidezip (or Dover shipping) :slight_smile:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-heritage-hampton-knee-patch-breech-11480p

But fwiw, these are my favs

https://www.smartpakequine.com/the-tailored-sportsman-trophy-hunter-midrise--front-zip-8605p

You’re going to get a lot of conflicting advice. People have very strong preferences and opinions about breeches. Also, different brands fit differently. And your body shape will definitely affect how certain breeches fit and feel. Equine Couture, for example, tends to fit people who are thin and not “hippy.” Ariat fits people like me: the classic pear shape.

There’s also a strong sense of fashion in the H/J world–that’s not bad, but people will try to persuade you that tacit trends are in fact rules. Tailored Sportsman breeches, for example, are beautiful, but you do not need to spend that kind of money to get a nice pair of show-worthy breeches. I will try to address your questions, but remember, no one has all the answers.

1. side or front zip? Either is fine. Side-zip is more traditional, but front-zip is perfectly appropriate if you like it. Some complain that the front-zip make a tummy bulge. Personally, I prefer side zip for shows, but again, that’s optional.

2, 3. ribbed fabric: This is exactly what it sounds like. Think of corduroy. Ribbed breeches are stretchy and comfortable. The Tuffrider ribbed breeches have legions of fans (including moi). However, most on this board would not wear them at shows; they are generally considered more of a “schooling breech.” However, since you are wearing a helmet cover, I assume you are showing at a small, local show, so beige ribbed breeches would probably be OK.

low rise or mid (regular) rise? You did not ask about this, but you need to. The “rise” indicates how high up on the waist the breeches will hit you. Low-rise breeches are extremely popular, and most riders today will not wear anything else. However, mid-rise breeches are perfectly correct, and have the advantage of helping to keep your shirt tucked in and looking neater when your coattails flap up as you ride. Even with the “low” rise, brands vary. Some low is very low, others are more moderate. Try them on.

Other confusing features: You will see some with a wide waistband (more trendy now) and others with narrow belt loops (not as stylish, but perfectly correct). It doesn’t matter which you choose, as long as you have something with an actual zipper and belt loops. Don’t buy the “pull-on” kind to show in. The “euroseat” is another trendy feature. This is a seam that outlines your butt. Again, it’s optional. Some will tell you it’s a “must-have” feature; others of us don’t care to have our least attractive body part outlined.

I do not recommend the Cotton Naturals. They are well made, but they do cling and show every bump. I had a pair of these and finally got rid of them for that reason.

There are lots of good choices for you, and people in this thread will recommend their favorites.

Since you are in Texas, I recommend that you consider the Devon-aire Versailles breech. The fabric is smooth and satiny but thin. They look nice and are inexpensive. I live in south Georgia and wear nothing else in the summer. They are not breeches for an A show, but it sounds as if you don’t need those.

Good luck.

Dewey has a great post! If you can, try on as many as possible. Low rise is trendy but they look and fit terrible on my body type. I also thought I would never change from side zip to front zip but changed my mind when I finally tried them on. Now I’m not sure I could go back to side zip;)

I think if you stick to tan and a smooth fabric you should be fine picking other options that look best on you.

Have fun!

Listen to Dewey!

And, if you can, try on as many breeches as you can - if you’re not comfortable in what you buy, you’re not going to ride as well as you can. Ask at the tack shop what they’d recommend too - usually they’re really helpful. Ask your instructor if she has any thoughts, and ask barn mates what they’ll be wearing.

I rode in an off-farm schooling show this past weekend and wore these:

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/tuffrider-ladies-aerocool-breeches/E002365/

and was told I looked perfectly appropriate. I decided on those because it’s New England and humid and I sweat like a loon and didn’t want obvious Sweaty Butt! :wink:

I personally hate side-zip and was miserable in the one lesson I wore those breeches - so def try things on and move around in them before buying!

Have fun!!

Congrats on your first show! I hope you have a great time and you’ll have to let us all know how it goes. So here is my suggestion:

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/equine-couture-coolmax-side-zip-breech/E003637/

It says they’re side zip, but the photo is of the front zip ones, so you might just have to call and clarify. But, I absolutely adore these breeches. They wear great, hardly ever get dirty, and easy to brush things like hay off of and are fairly cool in temperature. And in looks :cool: I also love that they have the sock bottom, which means there is like an elastic/stretch material at the bottom instead of what used to be the standard velcro. Also, the fabric has some stretch to it but isn’t so stretchy that you see every little bump and bulge. Plus, if it’s your first order through them, you can get 20% off!

What part of Texas?

What show?

These answers will affect my opinion, but in general the most important thing you said to me was “helmet cover.” Just don’t. I don’t care how small of a schooling show, go out and buy yourself one of these:

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ovation-Deluxe-Schooler-Helmet-P4263.aspx

And skip the helmet cover. It’s a nice looking low profile hat, and with all of the technical helmets these days it looks just fine in the show ring. That’s my schooling helmet and when my show helmet was stolen a few years ago, I showed at a AA show in the A/Os in it. I actually got 3 compliments at the gate, and people asked me what the brand of my new helmet was.

I’d rather you wear tan leggings from walmart over a helmet cover.

Though not the most stylish, a basic breech (that is not ribbed) will do you fine.

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ovation-K4-Front-Zip-Low-Rise-Breech-P5912.aspx

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Equistar-XT-Zip-Front-KP-Breeches-Ladies-P5904.aspx

Upgrading slightly, and a good deal right now would be these ariats

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ariat-Heritage-Low-Rise-Side-Zip-Knee-Patch-P605.aspx

But as was stated earlier, you have to be built for them. I’m thin, but have a butt. If they fit in the butt I have a 5" gap on my waist. If they fit in the waist I have smush butt. Basically they’re built for someone with zero curves regardless of how thin you are.

For just a bit more you can get some TS knock offs like these

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/On-Course-Pytchley-Front-Zip-Euroseat-Knee-Patch-P6773.aspx

Pytchley has been copying TS for as long as I can remember. They do a good job at it.

I like Piper’s by Smartpak.

A couple more comments, mainly responses to what people have said after me:

The Aerocool breeches recommended by RPP: I have a pair of these. I like the way they fit, but the fabric is very itchy on me, and they pilled after awhile. You might like them, but this was my experience. Maybe my skin just reacted to something in the fabric.

I agree with Nickelodian on the helmet cover. It’s OK to use one, but an inexpensive helmet such as the one she recommended really does look better if you can afford it.

The links Nickelodian gave are great–and I want to amend what I said earlier about Ariats. I based my comments on my favorite show breeches, the Ariat Pro-Circuits, which fit pear-shaped me like no other. (Also love the sock bottom, which I forgot to mention.) But the Ariats Nickelodian linked, though very nice breeches, would never fit me or anyone with actual hips–I can tell just by looking at the picture.

Those Pytchleys she posted are beautiful. Love the mid-rise.

I forgot to mention Ovation–a very good mid-priced brand. They are serving a real need, providing good-quality products that won’t break the bank.

[QUOTE=Belmont;7701936]
I like Piper’s by Smartpak.[/QUOTE]

I love mine too, but they are a heavy fabric for Texas heat and don’t come in a show appropriate color… but I bet a lot of people wish they did!

Lots of great suggestions. They only thing I will add here is that some people don’t prefer the front zip because the back of the hook clasp on some breeches rubs them while they are riding. I must tuck a shirt into my front zips otherwise I get red marks on my tummy, but as long as I am tucking a polo or show shirt in, I’m fine. However, my show breeches are TS Trophy Hunters in low rise side zip.

That said, I own a pair of Riding Sport Competitor II breeches and they are a good breech for schooling and show. They wash and wear pretty well, however I cannot wear them without a belt or they work their way down my waist. With a belt I have no complaints and would recommend them.

[QUOTE=Dewey;7702024]
A couple more comments, mainly responses to what people have said after me:

The Aerocool breeches recommended by RPP: I have a pair of these. I like the way they fit, but the fabric is very itchy on me, and they pilled after awhile. You might like them, but this was my experience. Maybe my skin just reacted to something in the fabric.

I agree with Belmont on the helmet cover. It’s OK to use one, but an inexpensive helmet such as the one she recommended really does look better if you can afford it.

The links Belmont gave are great–and I want to amend what I said earlier about Ariats. I based my comments on my favorite show breeches, the Ariat Pro-Circuits, which fit pear-shaped me like no other. (Also love the sock bottom, which I forgot to mention.) But the Ariats Belmont linked, though very nice breeches, would never fit me or anyone with actual hips–I can tell just by looking at the picture.

Those Pytchleys she posted are beautiful. Love the mid-rise.

I forgot to mention Ovation–a very good mid-priced brand. They are serving a real need, providing good-quality products that won’t break the bank.[/QUOTE]

I am curious about those Pytchley breeches-- anyone have any feedback? I’d be interested to see how they fit for schooling. What is the fit and fabric like compared to the TS Trophys?

I have the Pytchley’s and they fit exactly like the TS Trophy Hunters. The fabric is not as good (pilling), but I have shown in them. They are very nice for the $79 price on Adam’s, but I wouldn’t pay $120 for them.

Agree with Nickelodian, the helmet cover is a nonstarter for me. The Ovation option she linked is a fabulous “entry level” choice. It is inexpensive but low profile and styled like much more expensive (and trendy) helmet.

Are you going to be showing at hunter/jumper shows or mixed discipline local shows that have english, western and some over fences classes? If the former, you are likely to see a lot of brand (and trend) loyalty - Tailored Sportsman breeches, jackets in tech fabrics, Charles Owen/Samshield/GPA helmets, snap collar shirts. You by no means have to wear any of those brands, nor do you have to style yourself in that vein, but if you want to blend in I’d recommend slightly nicer breeches than some of the tights that have been recommended. Oh, and euro seat. I personally like Equine Couture and Ovation for good quality at a decent ($70ish) price point. Front zip vs. side zip - either is fine but trends vary by region so if you get the chance to spectate at a show I’d make a mental note of which seems to be more popular. If you’re going for the look, no zip pockets - those are more common in tights. No ribbed breeches for the show ring.

If you are showing at a multi discipline local show there tends to be a lot more leeway. A lot of people wear beige schooling tights and traditional ratcatchers with a collar, etc. I wouldn’t waste a lot of money - just get one of the pairs of tights recommended upthread.

Seconding (thirding? fourthing?) the advice that Dewey gave - all of it is spot on. Breeches are generally a personal preference and you may have to try a few different brands to find one that you like. If you have a tack store near you, I would highly suggest going and just trying on whatever they have in your size to see what you like, especially because different brands fit so differently.

My favorites for my body shape (pear shaped) have been Ariat Pro Circuits, side zip, and Tuff Rider low-rise breeches - most low rises slide down on me and show more than I’d like but these stay in place nicely and aren’t hiked up to my belly button :smiley:

It’s such a shame that the Pro Circuits are being phased out. I own three pairs (2 beige, 1 white) and am terrified that something will happen to one of them.

I am a big fan of Ovation products on general, for the quality and the price.

These are lovely and very lightweight:

http://www.ridingwarehouse.com/Ovation_Eurolite_Brighton_Euroseat_Knee_Patch_Breeches/descpage-OEBEKPB.html

They run a little small.

You don’t say what hour budget is. Whether you gan go over $100 makes a big difference.

[QUOTE=tua37516;7702033]
I am curious about those Pytchley breeches-- anyone have any feedback? I’d be interested to see how they fit for schooling. What is the fit and fabric like compared to the TS Trophys?[/QUOTE]

The Pytchley breeches look fantastic and wear well. However, my DD complains that they are slippery. They do look fantastic and very close to Tailoreds. But the functionality not so much.

Why oh why did Ariat stop making the Brittany side zip breech? Boo:( They were the greatest.

[QUOTE=Dewey;7701871]
You’re going to get a lot of conflicting advice. People have very strong preferences and opinions about breeches. Also, different brands fit differently. And your body shape will definitely affect how certain breeches fit and feel. Equine Couture, for example, tends to fit people who are thin and not “hippy.” Ariat fits people like me: the classic pear shape.

There’s also a strong sense of fashion in the H/J world–that’s not bad, but people will try to persuade you that tacit trends are in fact rules. Tailored Sportsman breeches, for example, are beautiful, but you do not need to spend that kind of money to get a nice pair of show-worthy breeches. I will try to address your questions, but remember, no one has all the answers.

1. side or front zip? Either is fine. Side-zip is more traditional, but front-zip is perfectly appropriate if you like it. Some complain that the front-zip make a tummy bulge. Personally, I prefer side zip for shows, but again, that’s optional.

2, 3. ribbed fabric: This is exactly what it sounds like. Think of corduroy. Ribbed breeches are stretchy and comfortable. The Tuffrider ribbed breeches have legions of fans (including moi). However, most on this board would not wear them at shows; they are generally considered more of a “schooling breech.” However, since you are wearing a helmet cover, I assume you are showing at a small, local show, so beige ribbed breeches would probably be OK.

low rise or mid (regular) rise? You did not ask about this, but you need to. The “rise” indicates how high up on the waist the breeches will hit you. Low-rise breeches are extremely popular, and most riders today will not wear anything else. However, mid-rise breeches are perfectly correct, and have the advantage of helping to keep your shirt tucked in and looking neater when your coattails flap up as you ride. Even with the “low” rise, brands vary. Some low is very low, others are more moderate. Try them on.

Other confusing features: You will see some with a wide waistband (more trendy now) and others with narrow belt loops (not as stylish, but perfectly correct). It doesn’t matter which you choose, as long as you have something with an actual zipper and belt loops. Don’t buy the “pull-on” kind to show in. The “euroseat” is another trendy feature. This is a seam that outlines your butt. Again, it’s optional. Some will tell you it’s a “must-have” feature; others of us don’t care to have our least attractive body part outlined.

I do not recommend the Cotton Naturals. They are well made, but they do cling and show every bump. I had a pair of these and finally got rid of them for that reason.

There are lots of good choices for you, and people in this thread will recommend their favorites.

Since you are in Texas, I recommend that you consider the Devon-aire Versailles breech. The fabric is smooth and satiny but thin. They look nice and are inexpensive. I live in south Georgia and wear nothing else in the summer. They are not breeches for an A show, but it sounds as if you don’t need those.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

This! Well said Dewey!