Unlimited access >

Show Me Your 2023 Restart’s 🤩

What makes Indiana attractive to breeders? Vibank was also sold there who is the sire of two of mine. He didn’t do much breeding there which is really too bad because he really throws nice sport horses. His one other daughter was Eventing 3* level and won Bromont a few years ago.

Nothing. :rofl:

They have a decent breeders incentive program, so if you have a lower level mare, it’s a more profitable option than losing your hat in Kentucky. Also, the proximity to Kentucky makes it nice if you have a mare on the bubble (like mine) to go back and forth across the state line depending on the market.

But Indiana is not a desirable location for mares or stallions to end up.

I’ve oddly had a lot of dealings with breeding in Indiana despite not having any connections to the state. I currently have a yearling by an Indiana sire who should probably go back there to run.

As someone who breeds in Indiana, but was also in central KY for years, it’s really a different level. In all reality, as small breeders that race our own, we could never really be competitive in KY besides a MSW or a claiming race here or there that we fit into. There are races written for IN breds only where we can be much more competitive, and earn more breeders incentives while still using KY stallions. It’s like the AA league of racing. It works for us breeders who can’t/won’t spend more than 15-30k on a stud fee.

4 Likes

You can earn a lot of money racing Indiana breds in Indiana. For one thing, they have tons of IND-bred only races (maiden, allowance, and stakes) and the purses for those races are higher than they are for comparable races open to all TBs.

Plus, even after you have you run through your IND conditions, an IND-bred horse can enter an open race no matter what the conditions are for it. (ie, an IND-bred horse that’s won 5 races can enter a non-winners of one other than race.)

Indiana racing is very heavily stacked in favor is Indiand bred horses.

3 Likes

Aw, they’re both so pretty. What did you name the filly?

2 Likes

That is seriously cool! Any chance of digging up photos or video of the race as keepsakes for you?

3 Likes

@Fiesta01 Thank you! The filly’s name is Maggie, or Magnolia. Her mom is Maya and her show name will be My Shot. Her brother that I lost was Inimitable (I was going through a Hamilton phase, lol), hence my screenname. My other mare is Max (JC Maximum Entropy, which is too cool not to keep), so I had to stay with “M” barn names. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How cute? Super cute! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes! I found it on Youtube. There’s the coolest shot in the beginning of my gelding going into the gate (#12). Another fun fact: Gary Stevens was up on him for this race!

It’s too bad he’s been such a non-starter in his second career. He’s a NICE horse - a gallop/canter to die for and a ridiculous jump. But he’s just too much of a trainwreck physically to ask him to do much. He’s very good at watching over his mare-em though. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You are so lucky to have found that video. To have your two boys in it is priceless. I so wish I had them for my horses, but I lost my last one at 38, so trying to track anything like that down from so long ago would be pretty much impossible. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

@Inimitable It’s just so funny how many little signs there were that those mares were meant to be yours! I can’t believe your horse ran against your filly’s sire.

Although I had something slightly similar happen once. My heart horse/childhood show horse absolutely hated one of my restart projects, which was weird because this horse got along with everyone. Then I realized the funny coincidence that my show horse had run against my project horse’s sire on several occasions. I joked it was a multigenerational rivalry.

5 Likes

@Texarkana That’s so funny! Very similar! The filly HATED my gelding at first, they’re pretty inseperable now though. But once I made the connection that he had run against her sire, I joked that she was mad that he beat her daddy in a race that one time.

4 Likes

Well, this happened today! Perfectly uneventful first sit on the baby. A definite bucket list item for me. I’ve done plenty of first rides on OTTBs, but never started a baby from scratch. She’s such a good girl.

15 Likes

Awwww that’s so amazing!!!

So proud! What a great day, and great smile.

Seriously, that you’ve had several first rides on OTTBs is incredible. I was more nervous ‘starting’ my OTTB than the done nothing real babies :joy:

1 Like

@pryme_thyme the devil you know and all that :smiling_imp: :joy:

1 Like

Sorry I missed your message, I called my filly…. Wait for it…Philly :rofl:

Her reg name was Philly Eagles. I had a huge list of maybe names but she came and she really was a Philly :joy:

She is the sweetest sweetest horse I have ever had, I’m starting to think I like mares…. Uh oh

We have had a couple hacks but her shoes were pulled and she’s now sore and on pasture puff duty until she’s better. Can’t say I mind just loving on her.

Odd thing is…. Her personality has completely changed. She was sweet before but shy, didn’t like her ears touched or nose, now she trots right up sticks her head in your chest and sneezes. Breaks my heart even if it’s just to smell for cookies :rofl:

14 Likes

Another great day with my girls. :blush: Maggie’s 4th ride ever, her first ride outside - and first of many with her mama by her side. :orange_heart::black_heart:

And for fun, my other mare. She’s a 2021 restart, but she hasn’t been easy and I’m excited by our recent progress.

IMG_0741

Gosh, I love my TBs. Especially my mares. Thanks for giving me a place to brag on my girls. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

16 Likes

Awwww that’s so amazing! I love seeing this! Such great memories being made. Keep it up I cannot wait to keep watching your progress

2 Likes

Hello all!

Thought I would add an update!

So three weeks after pulling shoes and having vet out to have a look at my still broken front footed mare, we all decided that the ground was just too hard and rocky for her to transition properly barefoot. Sure, she may accustom to it over a long term but she was quite uncomfortable and the delicate flower didn’t want to walk.
Hoof boots worked decently but she didn’t love them and unfortunately we don’t have pasture turnout available here.
Thus, we opted to go back to shoes while we fix her flat angles and farrier added pads since the paddocks are quite rocky in our area.

All in all, it’s now been a week today with shoes and it was wildly thrilling to see her immediately take off tail flagging when she went back into the paddock. She is still a bit tender on the white front that had the abscess but better and better each day.

She’s now starting back into riding. If we can call 15 minutes a few days a week riding. However most of our days are spent hand walking trails and munching grass (her not me :joy:), which is oddly bonding. This girl is truly a zen master and just has an incredibly calm sloth like demeanour.

Steering and leg pressure stumps her yet she loves the mounting block and often tries to veer off and stop thinking this is the treat station.

So pleased I took the chance on an OTTB and I truly appreciate all the support and advice from those with experience with the tender footed tb.

I cannot wait to see her future… while she’s definitely smaller than I had thought, she moves and looks large and you can’t beat the brain. (I swear she is telling me she is grateful for her new life)

How is everyone else doing so far?
Did you all have an adjustment period for crappy feet?
What’s the personality like with yours?

18 Likes

This is a wonderful update! There is nothing wrong with needing shoes. What’s better is your horse is comfortable and happy now.

Nothing wrong with the small ones. My superstar mare is just barely 15.2. You look like you fit her nicely too!

I’m laughing at your question about needing time for feet to heal and grow…because my mare Emmy needed about three years :upside_down_face:

But we are off to our first show this weekend! Well worth the wait and time and effort.

Bring your girlie over for a ride sometime!

5 Likes