Unlimited access >

Show Name Needed!

Can someone please help me come up with a show name for my Andalusian/Paint gelding, Leo? His registered name and previous show name is Senor Pablo Picasso, but I HATE that with a fiery passion. Here’s my list of names and a few pictures. Here are some pictures of him! Excuse my bad riding. This was the first time I ever rode him. These pictures are almost a year old. Leo has now gained weight and muscle, his black has gotten blacker, and he has a smartly pulled mane.

Second to None
Lieutenant
Alchemist
Sleepwalker
Take a Chance
Longshot
Princely by Design
Di Angelo
Ricochet
Soloist
All I Ever Wanted
Always With Me
Strictly Business
Over Active Imagination
Viva La Vida
Speak No Americano
Altivo
Obsession
Fall Out Boy
Just One Yesterday
Applause
Easy Street

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/353/e/5/dark_horse_by_cielfangirl325-d5oi2it.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/352/8/0/me_on_leo_by_cielfangirl325-d5og7xw.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/354/b/4/good_boy_by_cielfangirl325-d5ons5l.jpg

If you have any ideas, feel free to voice them!

Di Angelo suits him I think

You get the award for the most random name ideas!

Being pain and baroque if you wanted to go funny you could name him
Notagypsy

you could keep with both the “spanish” and picasso theme and call him Guernica… the actual painting is “black and white” - kind of like him… or like a grisaille!

I love love love your horse! This is my .02…

The dressage world tends to go for simpler names than the hunter world, and the classiest are one word. Many of the names you list are too “complicated.” I like beowulf’s suggestions, also

Opaque
Grayscale
Foreshadow

That kind of thing…

As a breeder I would strongly urge you to show your horse under its registered name. If you don’t you are essentially “erasing” his breeder and making it difficult for people who like your horse to find a source for another like it. To me showing it under another name is disrespectful to the careful choiced that produced that nice horse for you to proudly show. Call the horse whatever you like around the barn but honor the breeder by showing under the registered name. Since he has a previous show record it also helps to keep his history complete.

He kind of looks like a Motherwell.:wink:

If he were a registered purebred, I could see sticking with the name.

Picasso is a cool horse name. Why not that?

OP you have a very handsome horse! Hard to figure out a name without knowing his personality, but simple names are best!

Dante
Ignazio
Manchado

[QUOTE=mrgangrl;7191054]
As a breeder I would strongly urge you to show your horse under its registered name. If you don’t you are essentially “erasing” his breeder and making it difficult for people who like your horse to find a source for another like it. To me showing it under another name is disrespectful to the careful choiced that produced that nice horse for you to proudly show. Call the horse whatever you like around the barn but honor the breeder by showing under the registered name. Since he has a previous show record it also helps to keep his history complete.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I can sympathize with not liking his registered name. My mare’s name doesn’t fit her at all, even if I did like it, and it is ridiculously long. I enter her in shows under her registered name, but I also note her barn name for the announcer to use if they so choose. Most of the time they choose to use her barn name, but her results still get recorded under her registered name. Never had anyone have a problem with it so far.

Updating the list!

Lieutenant
Alchemist
Sleepwalker
Longshot
Di Angelo
Ricochet
Soloist
Altivo
Obsession
Greyscale
Baskerville

That name list is so random, I’m starting to think this is a troll naming thread.

[QUOTE=Bristol Bay;7191269]
That name list is so random, I’m starting to think this is a troll naming thread.[/QUOTE]

If my gauge is right, OP is younger – most of these names have origins from a specific band. I have to ask OP, are you a Paulo Coelho fan as well??

No, but a lot of the names are songs.

Just One Yesterday by Fall Out Boy
Take a Chance by ABBA
Longshot by Kelly Clarkson
Obsession by Sky Ferriera
Applause by Lady Gaga
Easy Street from the musical Annie
All I Ever Wanted by Basshunter
Speak No Americano by Yolanda Be Cool
Always With Me from the movie Spirited Away

Andalusian/Paint is an unusual cross. What registry is he in?

I love Guernica. Has a certain gravitas. Depends on his personality, of course.
The Cubist?

[QUOTE=mrgangrl;7191054]
As a breeder I would strongly urge you to show your horse under its registered name. If you don’t you are essentially “erasing” his breeder…[/QUOTE]
and sometimes that is the intention for good reason :wink:

have a horse bred by someone who when others noticed the suffix to his name, they made snarly faces, and didn’t have nice things to say.

Why not just shorten it to Picasso? I actually think that suits him well given his “paint” (get it? ;-)) side and he is so artistically colored. It also gives a nod to the breeder, but changes things up a bit. I bought a young horse with an AWFUL name, so I kept the name but added a prefix to make it a little better. Just a thought…

[QUOTE=Vesper Sparrow;7191422]
I love Guernica. Has a certain gravitas. Depends on his personality, of course.
The Cubist?[/QUOTE]

Guernica is a name with horrific associations.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/guernica.htm

He’s under the IALHA, but as a half Andalusian.

According to the IALHA;
Sire: Florin
Dam; Truely Shamen NPHR #9962
Bred by; Heidi M. Johnson Bearclaw Andalusians

(If you post in the lost horses forum some people cannot post replies.)

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7191543]
Guernica is a name with horrific associations.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/guernica.htm[/QUOTE]

You have to remember Guernica was a city before the bombings. You would not think NYC or Boston had gravitas, and both have had just as gruesome histories.

Guernica was a Basque village that was bombed into oblivion by the German and Italian air forces, to further the cause of Nationalism led by Franco. I don’t think that ever happened in NYC or Boston.