Unlimited access >

Show Name Needed!

I also associate Guernica with heroic struggle.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7191796]
Guernica was a Basque village that was bombed into oblivion by the German and Italian air forces, to further the cause of Nationalism led by Franco. I don’t think that ever happened in NYC or Boston.[/QUOTE]

Ok. OP has a horse named Picasso. OP mentioned maybe keeping the theme. The painter had an oil painting titled Guernica. So sorry you find the mention of the name horrific/offensive. There is horrifying history everywhere, the town of Guernica is no exception. Instead of getting your feathers ruffled over a suggestion you could just, you know, not contribute.

I think the name is horrific to most educated people. If you cannot understand that then you have totally missed the point of the painting. It’s totally up to the OP if she wants to chose a name with that association.
A bit like showing for a German judge on your Hanoverian named Auschwitz.

I like Picasso. Simple, classy, and paint-related :wink:

Go for Baroque
Artistic Rendering
Artistic License

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7191960]
I think the name is horrific to most educated people. If you cannot understand that then you have totally missed the point of the painting. It’s totally up to the OP if she wants to chose a name with that association.
A bit like showing for a German judge on your Hanoverian named Auschwitz.[/QUOTE]

“Guernica Peace Museum Foundation, a museum of the history of Guernica. The exhibits on show illustrate what Guernica has represented throughout its history for the Basques (democracy, local legal system, freedom) and what it stands for today all over the world (human rights, peace). The Gernika Peace Museum is a theme museum setting out the culture of peace. It was inspired by the tragic bombing of Gernika on 26 April 1937.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernica

This is a bizarre thread. You’d think she were considering naming her Polish Arabian something like “Auschwitz.”:rolleyes:

For the record, she has never responded specifically to any name suggestion, least of all Guernica.

[QUOTE=LoveJubal;7192132]
I like Picasso. Simple, classy, and paint-related ;)[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this! ^^ Really suits! It was obvious they were all song titles. I find those names boring and dated. I prefer like another poster mention one word names for a dressage horse. I think even just Senor Pablo is cute to show his pedigree background.

[QUOTE=Bristol Bay;7192513]
This is a bizarre thread. You’d think she were considering naming her Polish Arabian something like “Auschwitz.”:rolleyes:

For the record, she has never responded specifically to any name suggestion, least of all Guernica.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that it is bizarre to warn that something may be inappropriate.

Even if you thought your horse was “the bomb,” I hope that some one would warn you off calling it “Hiroshima” or “Nagasaki.” :lol:

[QUOTE=Eclectic Horseman;7192586]
I don’t think that it is bizarre to warn that something may be inappropriate.

Even if you thought your horse was “the bomb,” I hope that some one would warn you off calling it “Hiroshima” or “Nagasaki.” :lol:[/QUOTE]

What’s bizarre is that people are bickering over a name OP expressed zero interest in. And it’s not even a good one.:winkgrin:

For the record, one of my favorite GP freestyles was a medley of Jethro Tull songs. The horse was called Sudan. Lots of fun associations with that name.

OMG equibrit you are way over the top

Guernica the painting was anti- war. So you could look at it that way.

BTW I don’t like the name but not for your reasoning. I just don’t like it as a name. lol

I don’t see how it is the same as naming a horse Auschwitz? But okay. The truly educated person would understand that a name is just a name – and would not narrowly associate a name with only one association.

If nothing else, I think Picasso is a cute name. None of the other names seem appealing to me, but it is probably because naming horses after popular songs for teenagers is a little strange to me!

[QUOTE=beowulf;7191806]
Ok. OP has a horse named Picasso. OP mentioned maybe keeping the theme. The painter had an oil painting titled Guernica. So sorry you find the mention of the name horrific/offensive. [/QUOTE]

For me just the thought of Picasso’s “Guernica” painting was enough of a reason not to use the name…it depicts anguish and pain.

[QUOTE=LoveJubal;7192132]
I like Picasso. Simple, classy, and paint-related ;)[/QUOTE]

ditto

[QUOTE=mrgangrl;7191054]
As a breeder I would strongly urge you to show your horse under its registered name. If you don’t you are essentially “erasing” his breeder and making it difficult for people who like your horse to find a source for another like it. To me showing it under another name is disrespectful to the careful choiced that produced that nice horse for you to proudly show. Call the horse whatever you like around the barn but honor the breeder by showing under the registered name. Since he has a previous show record it also helps to keep his history complete.[/QUOTE]

I am glad you mentioned this, mrgangrl. I have never understood “show names.” How do you know who the horse really is? Often it seems the poor horse has a registered name, a barn name and a “show name.” Never understood that. I show my horse under his registered name so that if he is identifiable - if anyone cares to know. Some registered names are wierd, I know, but oh well. That’s why you give them a barn name.

Sure but if the Breeder named the horse something like that - so you are going to hear announced -OP riding Senor Pablo Picasso- sure- you can change it. LOL.

I’d likely go with Picasso or pablo or Pablito but whatever…

Yes, I would tend to give him a barn name I “loved,” but show him under his registered name. I have always done that, e.g., Viking Grog (!) was just “Erik” around the barn, Thunderblazer (no breeder association there, LOL) was “Blazey” (so trite, but whachagonnado?), and Confetti’s Magic Marker is “Mark.” In Mark’s case, I’m happy to promote the breeder and put her farm’s name out there.

I always thought ‘Gomez’ would be a cool name for a Spanish horse, and a handsome one at that!

[QUOTE=beowulf;7191806]
Ok. OP has a horse named Picasso. OP mentioned maybe keeping the theme. [/QUOTE]

How about Blue Nude or The Old Guitarist? :wink:

[QUOTE=Crockpot;7194219]
Sure but if the Breeder named the horse something like that - so you are going to hear announced -OP riding Senor Pablo Picasso- sure- you can change it. LOL.

I’d likely go with Picasso or pablo or Pablito but whatever…[/QUOTE]

No - it’s not over the top. The picture Guernica represents one of the most gruesome and horrendous acts of the Spanish civil war. Bombing a peaceful city filled with refugees, on market day may be all right to you, but to Europeans and especially Spaniards, it lives in memory as one of the most heinous atrocities, undertaken by the future dictator Frederico Franco. Your ignorance does not nullify the fact that it would be a mistake to call a Spanish bred horse by that name.