Unlimited access >

Showjumping Stables TX

Hi! Im planning on moving to TX and want to know of the best trainers in the state. (I know its big :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) Has anyone heard of Oakhaven farms in Austin? Im looking for somewhere with great turnout, amazing facilities, and top notch horse managment and care. Ive also been looking at Petschenig Show Jumping.

Thanks in advance :grinning:

I donā€™t know about good ones, but you for sure read this threadā€¦My horrible experiences with Texas horse trainer/instructor Ellen Doughty-Hume

Querencia Stables in Dripping Springs, TX

If youā€™re looking at Austin, Iā€™ve done a boatload of research (and live here) and am happy to fill you in.

I have looked at Oakhaven and while itā€™s gorgeous there were some flags for meā€“except for the ownerā€™s horses, all horses are turned out individually in small paddocks. They donā€™t really do any of the local or even rated shows; most of the clients are older women (no hate to them but Iā€™m in my 20s and was looking for friends and the youngest gals there were in their 50s). They have acres and acres of trails but I didnā€™t get the vibe that they were ever used. I personally wasnā€™t thrilled with the turnout situation (and the barn on the website is the only fancy one like that, the others are still nice but not like that) and wound up elsewhere.

In Austin, I like Empire Acres which is out of White Fences. Not super sure of their turnout but the facilities are great and I have heard good things about the head trainer.

Youā€™re asking about two barns hours that are hours apart.

Petschenig Show Jumping seems like a TikTok barn; I see so many ads on my devices and teenagers constantly hammering social media. Perhaps the actual trainers are very talented, but it comes across more like a trainer who is marketing savvy and knows how to get parents to spend big $$$ on horses for kids who need a $ horse and $$ in lessons. Definitely not knocking the business savvy, but Iā€™m local and havenā€™t ever heard actual commentary on their horsemanship.

Having a new poster with a single post name drop them while talking about ā€œgreatā€ qualities in a barn also adds to that perceptionā€¦

2 Likes

WTF is a TikTok barn?
Ummmā€¦ Peter won has multiple grand prixes under the lights at WEC in both the winter and summer circuitsā€¦ and his wife, Nathalie, also rides in the grand prixes when sheā€™s not being an awesome mom, which is a tough balance for anyone, let alone a professional. They have a ton of horses at WEC when they come here, so they must be doing something right. Just sayinā€™.
Heā€™s been doing FEI level classes and his horses and students do quite well when I see them at Tryon and WEC, so I would say it goes far beyond what the ā€œgramā€ might tell you.
Do you ride on the A Circuit? Have you ever met them? Pretty crappy review from someone based on seeing that they know how to use the interwebs. Thereā€™s plenty of top A circuit riders in both the hunters and jumpers that use social media to promote themselves and their students. Nothing wrong with it. Itā€™s free advertising if you know how to use those mediums.
I happen know them personally. They are lovely. I bought a horse from themā€¦ and they have stood by their product and stayed in touch long after the transaction took place. I have ridden with their kids and adults for years and their horses are always impeccably turned out and they seem to really take time and effort with their kids.
I can attest to Peterā€™s training bc even from my ā€œtrying the horseā€ experience, I felt very nervous and he gave me a ton of confidence and walked me through the whole trial. Not knocking my trainer that I bought horse with at that time, but I left there thinkingā€¦ if I was in Texas, this is where Iā€™d want to be. In addition, Nathalie was riding with a dressage trainer while we were there, which says that they both go above and beyond for their own horsemanship and education. Peter was completely honest and forthcoming with the horse that I purchased and the history of horse before and after import. Iā€™d buy another horse from them in a heartbeat.
His wife has been incredibly kind and supportive of my journey and when I sold him for a nice profit a few years later, she was the first one to celebrate me finding my next one.
Just because youā€™re local doesnā€™t make you a great resource apparently, but if the OP wants to talk further, Iā€™m happy give them an amazing reference. Also, this isnā€™t my first post, so guessing that gives me more ā€œstreet credā€ in your opinionā€¦ but where we do agree is that Austin and Dallas/Pilot Point are DEFINITELY nowhere near one another!

Wow, I struck a nerve, huh? :rofl:

As I mentioned, their reputation and perception based on what their students and social media posts paint online IS reality. They come across as marketing savvy and getting clients to spend big dollars on horses - I have ridden with some of their existing clients, and they stay in my feed.

Itā€™s great that you have had a good experience with them. Itā€™s incredible that you, not local, can do that while many of the people Iā€™m involved with locally cannot. Please - can you also advise the OP on their turnout, brand new facility, and management and care - which was the original question posed in this thread?

Again, Iā€™m not knocking them as human beings - I donā€™t know them. Iā€™m commenting on their business model. Clinton Anderson made millions doing the same thing.

1 Like

Many of the barns in the Austin area have waiting lists, so do your research soon and get on a list. Also, if youā€™re coming from a different geographic area, be mindful to transition your horse slowly to the hay here as the barns feed coastal which is a colic risk.