Sidebar, Your Honor

If you have a WiFi device and an LTE device, they can use geographically different IPs, even though they are next to one another. For example, my phone goes through Pittsburgh for some bizarre reason that I have yet to figure out. Then you have VPNs and alternate DNS servers, which make IP spoofing very easy. In short, IP addresses really mean nothing these days.

12 Likes

Thanks for compiling the timeline, Sdel!

I am still curious about when RC gave her gun to MB so he could ā€œlook at it,ā€ but it seems that information has not been made public (unless I missed it, which is very possible).

2 Likes

Thank you @Sdel for the work you put into making the timeline. I am always impressed at people who can organize a timeline like that.

8 Likes

I guess the standing assumption is that it was on 8/5 because that is the incident date listed on the warrant.

5 Likes

Ah, right. Now I remember seeing that - I actually posted about it in the other thread (sorry, Iā€™m on pain meds for a rotator cuff injury). What I am still wondering about is not the date it occurred, but whether it happened before or after MB went to the police station. And it appears we will have to wait for her testimony for those details.

1 Like

Thanks for the NOT creepy timeline.
Very concise and all in one place .

16 Likes

Ditto.

5 Likes

Thanks, I had wondered how that might be possible.

1 Like

Not creepy for two reasons in my mind.

First - people talk about murder, robbery, etc all the time. They discuss, brain storm, and plain yak about the information known. It really is human to discuss incidents like the Barisone case. Second - if someone was planning to write a book it stands to reason they have files on facts, gossip, innuendos, and anything else that comes to mind.

I think it could be an interesting book, different from the typical facts only one, if it was done from the perspective of a mind hive.

What I do think is creepy is a victim joining online discussions about their case. That type of behavior seems odd, but thatā€™s jmho.

18 Likes

MHG has some choices about testifying. If sheā€™s compelled to appear at trial by defense, she may be named a ā€œhostile witnessā€ if sheā€™s non-co-operating due to not wanting to be involved- since she apparently has moved on in her personal life. Or she may have already given a statement to the DA- on the stateā€™s side- as promise not to be charged in any criminal charges.
Sheā€™s a wild card, until trial.

2 Likes

Sheā€™s out of state so securing her presence is not just by subpoena.

3 Likes

ā€œI donā€™t rememberā€ is said by many a compelled witness.

4 Likes

@Knights_Mom, I wonder with all the court cases delayed by Covid, how many witnesses will be able to trust their memories especially when questioned by skillful attorneys.
Btw, I like the title of the thread, very creative OP!

5 Likes

Thank you. :blush:

3 Likes

Time does affect memory for sure.

Others things do as well.

5 Likes

Witnesses are normally deposed well before the trial setting, as part of gathering evidence. So that can be used to help them remember what they said when the incident was still fresh in their mind.

A deposition can also be used to discredit a witness if there is a big discrepancy between their testimony at trial and what they stated at the deposition.

5 Likes

Witnesses are not always deposed in criminal trials. The D.A. will rehearse with them often but on the stand anything goes.

Depositions are the babies of civil cases.

3 Likes

That is probably true that there is not a sworn deposition on many criminal cases. But certainly statements and interviews are done by the defense and prosecution before trial, Iā€™d think. And while those statements arenā€™t sworn to so they canā€™t be used in quite the same manner as a deposition, they can be used to help the witnesses remember their statements.

I can see why criminal trials might be less predicable if the witnesses canā€™t be held to their earlier statements.

3 Likes

They are unpredictable also because the standard ā€œBeyond a reasonable doubtā€ is a high standard given all it takes is one juror to go against the flow.

3 Likes

The child!

And as I clearly saidā€¦allowing her child to participate in a meeting about how to get rid of LK does not make her an unfit parent. Just not that bright.

To be clear, it was the minor child who said ā€œIā€™ll bash their heads in.ā€ Poor kidā€¦since others at the meeting were making other specific plans about how to harm LK/RG he certainly cannot be blamed for chiming in.

And, againā€¦we all make bad parenting decisions. This was obviously a very poor decision.

1 Like