Unlimited access >

Signs Of Spring!

Got my ‘start thinking about spring farm chores’ sign about 5 minutes ago!

13 Likes

And meanwhile, some of us are thrilled we haven’t hit -40 yet. :astonished: :laughing: :rofl:

9 Likes

It was 27 this morning if it counts for anything?!

1 Like

I have horses shedding, chickens coming back into lay, and one mare in raging (transitional, I assume) heat.

The days must be getting longer, even if it doesn’t feel like it yet (thanks, Standard time in the Central time zone…)!

4 Likes

There is this neighborhood near me lined with Japanese Cherry trees that have been blooming early the past few years. I drove by today and sure enough, their blossoms were opening.

4 Likes

We are expecting a polar vortex next week, no spring here

2 Likes

I saw robins on the ground yesterday in Columbus GA.

(The internet says they do not migrate, but every year, we get legions of them marching across the ground in winter after the coldest period is over.)

4 Likes

It is going to be around 50 Saturday, then supposedly 3 to 5 inches of snow next Thursday…mother nature is drunk lol.

1 Like

We had a foot of snow yesterday.

I just started seeing them here too a week or two ago, a few hours north of you. I’m glad you said that about their not migrating as I started wondering about that when I saw these.
The doves are out again too now. But so far no buds on any of the trees.

Why are my posts not working?

1. One of my horses has started shedding lightly.

2. The resident barn Wren has started its mating call.

3. Still waiting for more daylight.

4 Likes

My mare has started shedding.

And I pulled a tick off of my dog last night.

I leave for Florida tomorrow.

3 Likes

My one horse starts shedding at the winter solstice like clockwork every year. She’s definitely not a sign of spring, more like a sign winter is there.

Bulb shoots are up.

American robins migrate according to Wikipedia. But the robins that summer in Canada typically winter in the US. And the robins that summer in the US typically winter in Mexico.

English (European) robins don’t migrate.
Hence the poem
The North wind doth blow,
And we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then, poor thing?

He’ll sit in a barn,
And keep himself warm,
And hide his head under his wing, poor thing.

My pony/Highland cow cross will soon begin shedding. Months and months of hair removal. It’s neverending.

1 Like

My fjord is shedding. Hair is everywhere, in the water troughs, patches left behind where he rolls and most stays on my clothes.

It is going to be 24 here tonight, then 52 and sunny saturday, then back down with 1 to 3 inches of snow next thursday. I have decided if mother nature can stay this drunk, why can’t I?

2 Likes

If you zoom in on the picture you’ll be able to make out the daffodil bulbs just beginning to sprout around the little tree. This is the bulbs eighth year…This happened overnight at 29 degrees F.

1 Like