Unlimited access >

Signs Of Spring!

The pair of barn swallows showed up last week.
I told them to go back, winter isn’t over and it’s darn cold here.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

My primroses are starting to bloom and I did have one bulb making an appearance above ground but then added additional soil to the planter and covered it back up. 27 here right now but the sun is shining and at least it’s not raining.

1 Like

Spring is a long way off but it helps that we haven’t been too cold for more than a week at a time and then it warms up enough to feel pretty nice when out.

Definitely more daylight hours and my mare is staring to shed( just a bit) . That helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am on the north coast. When I came in at 530 pm it was still light out.

3 Likes

In south Central TX the robins—hundreds—have been here since before Christmas. What a mess! They usually migrate through—but they’ve stayed. Hyacinths are coming up—they always do in Feb. Yesterday was 75 and today it didn’t get above 34. Still dealing with a water line break Christmas eve in my office and finally taped plastic over the doorway because it’s freaking freezing in the dining room where I’m working for now.

2 Likes

I noticed a dandelion yesterday.

2 Likes

Resident retiree was shedding a wee bit when I cleaned her up (see mud is defeating thread) to put her blanket back on.

1 Like

My sign of spring is the in barn thistle that is now about 4 inches tall. Meanwhile it’s a blizzard outside…but I take comfort in the little green weed.

1 Like

What is all that green stuff??? It’s February. It’s WINTER!!! It’s 3:30 pm and the wind chill -19. Will be around -39 at midnight.

I’m writing to the moderators. It’s enough that you can talk about signs of spring. Flowers and shedding. Hmmmfffff. I don’t think you should be able to post photos of green stuff until after mud season is over and spring is on the way, which will be around May or thereabouts.

3 Likes

My horses aren’t shedding yet, but I have a sign of spring - the skunks are out. Yesterday I could smell that there was a skunk somewhere nearby, and this morning I had to slow down and wait for one to waddle to the side of the road.

2 Likes

The green stuff is why horse folks winter over in Aiken, South Carolina. I overseed winter forage rye grass and horses are out 24/7. I dragged the arena this morning in a golf shirt. I have lived and worked in Minnesota, Massachusetts, and Maryland, so this climate is much appreciated and not taken for granted.

1 Like

Interesting. I lost smell to Covid, but my trainer got out of her truck at my barn yesterday and the first words out of her mouth were “I smell skunk.”

1 Like

:smile: :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

This!!! Spring is skunk season forget that groundhog seeing his shadow!! It is getting into skunk season here in east tn too!!

First daffodil bloom at the barn, right on schedule, I was going to use a picture of the big pile of shed hair from grooming this morning, but the wind blew it away before I could take one.

3 Likes

Saw my first robin this weekend (Iowa). And This week I’ll have to adjust the chicken door timer, it’s still closing at 5:30p but there’s plenty of light now until at least 6:30.

1 Like

And day lily leaves.

1 Like

The skunks are out. One sadly killed in the road. Saw 5 robins today… Northern NJ

I’m going to have to dig out my mare’s muzzle… in February. She has gotten positively obese on green winter grass.