Unlimited access >

Smartpak Shipping

My MSM fiasco seems to be making progress. My replacement/re-order shipped today…in theory it should arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Definitely slower these days. I have 2 orders pending; the more important is several flysheets to try on my mare as I’m looking for something cooler than what she has.

(Adjusting to 24/7 outside living is more stress for me than for her. She’s been at the place 10 days and it’s like she’s lived there forever.)

My orders from Smartpak are hit or miss. The SmartPaks supps have (so far) arrived in time. But honestly, there have been some items that take so long to arrive that I stare at the box, wondering what the heck it was that I ordered.

Yes it took a while, but they are not the only ones where they dont even send it out until a week later. Had an issue with Adams Horse Supply - over a week and still processing status. Once I emailed them I got a shipping notification. FarmVet is taken several days now too. Not as long but they used to send stuff immediately. Not a good trend\

I’m still waiting for my 7/2 order to ship. Since there was a sale I was expecting a delay so I’m not surprised it’s taking this long. My orders ship as part of my barn’s Barn Saver shipping (greatest idea ever!!) and I believe another boarder’s SP sups came a few days ago. Nothing desperately needed in the order so I’ll just wait it out.

You would go back and read the description to see if that was what you really ordered and realize that yes, it is what was described but not what you thought it would be.

for several decades one of my tasks was reviewing product installation manuals to translate from engineering speak into common English. Often the way the manuals had been drafted one would end up with questions

Sort of like this old meme

tree_swing_70s-1

10 Likes

Last week I ordered something I wanted quickly from SP and placed the order before 2pm the day before my barn weekly shipping was supposed to go out. I know that should have been enough time but I wanted to make sure it got included in that order so I called to see. I was told that they were about 3 days behind their normal schedule. I explained the situation and why I really needed the product quickly and asked if there was anything that they could do. She didn’t commit to anything on the phone but I later saw that she upgraded my shipping to premium and it got delivered the next day – not part of my barn saver shipping but overnight shipping. So kudos to SP as far as I am concerned!

3 Likes

They’re definitely running behind. I don’t have an issue with regular orders running behind if there is a message on the website, but I really struggle when autoships start running into huge delays. Part of the reason for signing up for an auto ship is for convenience AND so that you don’t need to worry about remembering to refill a product or supplement.

I realized that I hadn’t received a new box of one of my supplements (succeed for those curious). This seems to be the key in keeping my gelding healthy. He has chronic colitis and hind gut issues, but with the right diet and succeed, he seems to be happy and comfortable. I’m not risking changing anything. I’ve spent enough money making sure that every piece of the puzzle is just right for the most expensive little thoroughbred prince (who I like to remind was pulled from the kill pen). Anyway, we were charged on 7/5. Order was to be shipped on 7/8. I got a notification that another smartpak is arriving tomorrow that wasn’t billed until 7/11. I realized something was up.

After talking to them, we found that they don’t anticipate it shipping until sometime late next week or arriving until probably early the following week. I could see if I could purchase a few tubes locally (last time I tried to do this I could only find a case). I would go out and just buy a case, but at $130/month, this isn’t something I just want to do (honestly, if this were to happen, I’d just cancel my order). Smarkpak mentioned that those with delays to their auto ship should have received emails, but it doesn’t appear that this happened.

In the end, Smartpak found a way to make it right and they are keeping me as a customer (I should have a box at my door on Monday). If it were any other horse and any other supplement, I’d just be annoyed and go they extra few days without. But I can’t let it that happen with this guy. And the customer service rep who helped me was wonderful. None of this was her fault at all. Still, Smartpak needs to figure out how to address some of what’s going on with their orders. For one, why aren’t auto ship orders processed in the order that they should go out? There is no reason I should receive a later order before my earlier order. Second, if there are delays, emails NEED to go out. They need to make sure their system can handle it. Reminder emails go out so why can’t other order updates go out? Little things like this go a long way. And other updates on the website. I hate having to sort through my account to determine if my order(s) are on time or delayed.

2 Likes

I think it must depend on where the items are sourced. I placed an order with Smartpak over lunch today for breeches and sun-shirts, all apparel and nothing exotic, and was surprised to get a shipping notice and tracking number at 5pm. Maybe they are catching up.

My order did finally arrive yesterday as they promised. I’ve noticed the same issue as others with actual Smartpaks, when my horse was getting them (maybe December-April), they NEVER shipped on time. I would be billed on the scheduled ship date, but they wouldn’t ship out for days and days, so my horse always went several days without.

I called them and had to move my bill and ship date up, basically I was paying every three weeks to guarantee it shipped on time :expressionless: the whole point of auto ship is so I don’t have to think about it. I ended up canceling the supplement (didn’t think it was making a difference). I probably wouldn’t use them again because it’s such a hassle to get things on time, it’s less work for me to order buckets elsewhere and track them myself.

So very weird. My horse has been on SmartPaks for years. I think they have been late once in all that time. That was during Covid.

July 6th 2022 review by current SmartPack employee on GlassDoor

Pros
The discount was the best part

Cons
Toxic work environment, favoritism, all the good people left

Advice to Management
Treat your employees with more respect

link to another 101 very similar employee reviews of working at SmartPack
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/SmartPak-Equine-management-Reviews-EI_IE605509.0,15_KH16,26.htm?filter.iso3Language=eng&filter.highlightSection=CONS

Regarding “The discount was the best part”
according statements in other reviews under the new ownership, employee discounts was cut by 50%

1 Like

I’ve never had problems with smartpak shipping before but my autoship supplement that I was billed for on 7/7 still hasn’t shipped - no email about it being delayed either. Only noticed because I’ve run out of my last bucket. If anyone knows of a hoof supplement with similar zinc/copper ratio + biotin to SmartHoof pellets, let me know :confused:

This has been my recent experience with my AutoShips and SmartPak. I SHOULD have called them last week when my one supplemement wasn’t en route. Instead, had a bad week with relative in hospital. Yesterday, while waiting for home health care to arrive, I called SmartPak. Sixteen minute wait on the phone and text is now M-F only. I also noticed that the number being used is their “After Hours Line” (or used to be).

The Customer Service Rep was wonderful - it wasn’t her fault. She cancelled the AutoShip and put it in as an overnight delivery order (no shipping charges for me). Per the Email notice, SmartPak is eating about $50 in shipping on my order.

Those costs should add up and alert SmartPak management to sort their order fulfillment issues. The Glassdoor review doesn’t sound encouraging.

It seems so strange that if they have it, they are skipping mailing an autoship over mailing what in the computer is a called in order.
So weird.
I would think the autoship orders would always come first.

2 Likes

When I had my service companies I had several large corporations as accounts where they were set for quarterly or monthly servicing…those were done at my convenience, usually when I was in that area on a called in repair order.

I suspect SmartPack is using these auto ship orders in a similar manor to have a known need but having the ability to fill that need within a specific time window …this does bring the costs down since there is this known need

We have one horse on SmartPack auto ship, there have been some close calls however we do have a few packs extra that we rotate into use …but none of this horse’s SmartPack stuff is life threatening if not here, if it were I would be keeping at least one month extra here

1 Like

My order placed 7/2 just shipped yesterday and should be at the barn by Tues. afternoon. That’s th longest I’ve ever waited for anything from anywhere that I can remember. My made in Japan futon bed arrived more quickly.

1 Like

Well I called SmartPak last Thursday to check on my order…they sent it “next day air” and it showed up yesterday. In the grand scheme of things, its not a matter of life or death but is certainly not the norm for them. Hope they get all caught up soon.

1 Like

Following up on my post, SmartPak shipped me a case of succeed next day air at no cost because my auto ship was processing for 2 weeks and I really didn’t want to spend an extra $130 plus shipping. I was willing to cancel my auto ship if they just sent me new case but it was impossible to cancel processing orders. Anyway, unlike a lot of supplements, this one really keeps my horse’s gut comfortable (chronic colitis) and I’d prefer not to experiment with skipping multiple days. The auto ship would arrive in 7-15 days according to the CR rep (it was paid for at the start of the month). She felt that sending the extra case would also hold us over if this ever happened again.

In positive news, it appears that the auto ship has finally shipped. It looks like it’ll arrive Monday or Tuesday depending on if it’s actually shipped or just a label. So, we’d have been without for 8 or 9 days if I waited…

I do appreciate smartpak fixing the issue with the extra case.

1 Like

sort of, when I was overseeing logical support for a major privately held corporation I could

1. recall the shipment (UPS/FedEx) once shipped but not delivered
    or
  2. send the receiver a return label

At least in our system as long as the order had not been packed and have a shipping label attached it could be halted within our system. Once the shipping label is attached the shipment was chunked into the 48 foot shipping trailer