Unlimited access >

So I'm moving my mare home, and she will be an only child..

This weekend I am finally moving my mare home, as she is currently being boarded 50 minutes away. She is used to being with a herd, but she is the youngest in the group (6yo) and gets pushed around a lot, being at the bottom of the totem pole.
I do not plan on getting another horse, I also wasn’t really thinking of getting her a pal as I will be with her daily. Anyone have suggestions on what I can get/make her to stay busy? She’s a real easy keeper, but I would like to plan ahead and get her some things to keep her from boredom.

Thanks all! Have a great day!

Being with her every day isn’t at all the same as having another horse. Horses are herd animals. They want company. They don’t necessarily become buddy buddy with another horse, but they do much prefer having another one around. Even horses who are not best friends still want to engage in grooming sessions, hanging out in the shade for a quick nap, and just be more comfortable knowing there’s safety in numbers.

Do some horses do fine alone? Yep. IMHO most of those would do better with a companion.

It’s not about staying “busy”. But as far as “things” go, you can see if she will play with a Jolly Ball, or one of the giant “soccer” balls. But IMHO those would be things to give her to play with for a while, then take back out of the pasture, not leave in there all the time.

8 Likes

I would reconsider not getting a buddy. Horses that get pushed around a lot are often less confident and happier in a herd environment even at the bottom of the pecking order.

3 Likes

I agree that she would be much better off with some kind of companion, particularly since she’s so young. I’ve never seen a horse do really well by itself.

You should really consider getting a goat, or a companion-type horse. She’ll be much happier in the long run.

You being with her daily is not the same as having a friend of her own species.

1 Like

Thank you all for the information - of course I would LOVE to get another horse in general, but right now it isn’t an option. I just want her happy and healthy! In the future I certainly plan to have more, as we plan to relocate in 2018 which will bring us more opportunities. This is just temporary :slight_smile:

I’m with JB here. Horses are all about “Safety in Numbers”, and are better able to relax when they know they have someone else “on guard” so to speak. If your setup can manage the different feeding needs, I’d think of a donkey, pony or mini. They don’t eat much, these little guys can live on air while being a good security blanket for your gal.

I think the perfect pony is about a 10 hand Shetland. He’ll be big enough and ornery enough to stand up to the horse, and can carry more size kids and pull more in driving than the tiny minis. And he’ll still get fat on air.

3 Likes

Is it possible to find a companion pony who doesn’t need to be doing anything, but who can come live with you for the interim? In other words, a free lease. Lots of people have an extra horse or 3 who isn’t doing anything (often because they are only pasture sound) and who are agreeable creatures who can live anywhere with anyone.

6 Likes

She may very well be just fine & dandy by herself.
I got my 2nd (well, 3rd) horse to keep my TB company after DH’s TWH died just before I could move them both home.
TB had been race-bred, failed his 2yo speed test but was kept by the trainer as a pony horse until I bought him as a 6yo.
Boarded for the next 15yrs so I imagine he was never left to himself.

I had not had both home a year when I took #2 camping for a weekend, leaving TB solo.
Neighbors had horses, but all too far away for him to do more than see from a distance.
Campground had no cell service, so I spent an anxious night before I could call farmsitter to see if TB was dealing.
He was fine for the full 3 days I was gone.
And continued to be fine whenever I took the other anywhere,

#2, OTOH, stressed when I took TB away - pacing the fenceline & calling.
But he too lived to tell about it.
There’d be some “parts” sniffing when I brought the traveler back, some squealing then back to Business as Usual.

Your mare will let you know if she’s okay alone.
Give her at least a month to settle & then reassess if you need a companion or not.
If you have room for 2 a pasture-board retiree might be a cheap option - just feed & routine vet/farrier care (paid by owner).

2 Likes

Fostering for a local rescue may be a thought. Some rescues are able to pay all care to their fosters too.

I had my horse leased out to a young lady who had him as the only horse on site. I am forever regretting that… in hindsight is was really wrong for him, and I was lucky it did not end up with him having health issues [ulcers for example] If you want her healthy and happy, treating her like a horse, by allowing her a herd may be the best way to insure that.
And of course there are those who can be alone. I would just hate to find out the hard way that mine isn’t one.

3 Likes

In my experience, it’s nearly impossible for horses to be “happy and healthy” when living a solitary lifestyle. Even the ones who outwardly seem to take to it “fine” often develop physical ailments down the line that suggest the stress was affecting them otherwise.

I don’t understand why a companion is out of the question. Goats are tried and true alternatives to taking on another horse. My donkey is probably my favorite animal of all time, and the horses LOVE her. Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of homeless, useless companion horses in this world… if you are moving in the future, maybe you could do a temporary foster situation for a rescue or provide board at cost to someone in the area with a retiree.

7 Likes

Excellent suggestion :yes: A good rescue will also have evaluated the horse long and well enough to have a good feel for how they are with others in general, and it’s in their best interest to put them in foster homes that are conducive to their well-being. Owners may not know the horse that well especially if they have always been in a pretty unchanging home situation.

1 Like

Goats also require goat-impermeable and unclimbable fencing, which most people only set up for horses have.

5 Likes

Again, great answers. A companion isn’t out of the question, I was more referring to going out and buying another horse right now. I can certainly look into having someone board their horse at my house - that’s a great idea. And I can also look into rescuing a companion.
I am going to give her a month like 2DogsFarm had mentioned previously, and reassess as needed. A year at the most is what I am looking at for her potentially being solo. But of course, I have her best interest in mind as I do all of my animals.
Thanks everyone!

To be honest, I wouldn’t get into boarding, unless you just really want to. You could get lucky and have the perfect boarder, but you could easily get a nightmare. There can be all sorts of issues with you getting stuck with vet and farrier bills, their horse being a general PITA and you can’t just send him back, and that’s just the easy stuff lol I actually own one of my horses now because his previous owner just disappeared on me.

4 Likes

They would also know the herd personality of any they might have to offer for foster… ie a horse who is not aggressive or high on the totem pole, such that the OPs horse has a friend and not a fuhrer!

2 Likes

It’s certainly a risk, but it can work out. I wouldn’t put in ad in a local equine publication or anything that would open oneself up to the crazies. I’d just ask a trusted vet/farrier/trainer if they happened to know anyone with a companion they’d like to save money on for a bit. Only offer the option to those referred to you by someone you know so you’re less likely to get burned. Of course, that can go bad, too.

I’d personally be more inclined to absorb all the costs of said companion horse in a temporary “free lease” type situation. But the OP gave me the impression that paying for a second horse may be out of the question at this time.

2 Likes

My boarder was a friend, someone I’d known for 10+ years lol

It does seem like the purchase of a horse is not in the cards, but taking care of a 2nd horse is possible. I love the idea of fostering and helping out a horse in need.

2 Likes

I’d be prepared for the fact that your mare may not be okay alone, and definitely have a backup plan ready to go. I brought my mare home in the fall, and was hoping that since the neighbor’s horses just about shared a fence line with my pasture, that would buy me some time in finding her a companion. She was okay for three days, then absolutely lost it, became frantic, paced relentlessly, screamed, and rubbed a sore into her neck from weaving across the top of a stall door. (None of this was typical behavior for her). I got her a pony immediately, and all was well again.

It might be worth it to look into a companion option before you make that move. I was lucky in that I found a pony within 2 days, but I’d have been in a mess if it had taken me much longer. My mare was not one to ever get strongly attached to other horses, and always seemed a bit of a loner, but she made it very clear that even with horses right next door, she was not okay.

3 Likes

I moved my horse home, and he did great. 24/7 in /out situation and lots of hay. He was older, 15, at the time. That might have made a difference.

1 Like

I’d get her a companion, a horse or pony or donkey or goat or something for her to be friends with. A retired dairy cow who can be saved from slaughter has worked for some horses. That’s a good idea to either foster horses or board a horse or two.

1 Like