Unlimited access >

So much whinnying on TV! Bridgerton for example

That’s what I figured, most people and all machines make noise pretty constantly, thus animals must too.

I imagine Godzilla in real life hardly ever vocalizes, nor dinosaurs. But it makes for a great scene to add sound.

1 Like

How interesting! So they do know horses aren’t actually whinnying all the time, but they think the audience needs to hear it to stay involved. And yes, it is very often the single self-same whinny, over and over.

Once I started noticing it a few years ago, I became That Person who always has to say “that horse is NOT whinnying He is Eating Grass!”. etc.

6 Likes

OMG - The Canned Whinny!!! So freaking annoying. I haven’t tried Bridgerton yet, but have watched two episodes of Yellowstone and started the third, then gave up. The incessant but inappropriate horse whinnying was annoying. Evidently if a horse apears on-screen it must be accompanied by a whinny so people know what it is, I guess? :roll_eyes:

And yes, it was overly drammatic, annoyingly so. The beginning of the third episode - so bad! I know there are many that love it though. Dallas meets The Godfather in Montana and wonderfully trashy for some.

1 Like

I want to believe that an audience can figure out it’s a horse without the whinnying. They do make tons of other noises, after all. Clippety clops, snorting, an array of farts. The horse noise palette is truly a remarkable smorgasbord of choices, doesn’t always need to be a randy stallion whinny :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Studios looking for sound designers – I am SO available for hire.

9 Likes

I think this particular horse sound is underrepresented in films. It would be, erm, refreshing? to hear something other than the horse equivalent of the Wilhelm Scream

7 Likes

Sound engineers are really missing out here. Nothing says “real horse” more clearly than one of the 10,000 different types of farts they can emit. Galloping ones, bucking ones, long almost silent standing ones, protracted dressage test ones (one per trot stride), sudden trombone like rips - I could go on. Talk about cinema verite!

17 Likes

TB21 that is the post of the day!

3 Likes

Bridgerton Season 2 episode 1 comes whinnying back into your life?

I counted 11 whinnies from trotting horses in the first minute. Sorry to zombify this older topic but I am amazed. It’s almost like they heard me complaining about season 1 and decided to drive me mad with season 2’s kickoff.

4 Likes

But they’re NOT neighing on The Gilded Age. Julian Fellowes must have read this thread!

5 Likes

I noticed that and appreciated it so much! Quiet horses at work - so much more restful to watch.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing it back to life. I must have missed it the first time around. I especially appreciate your catalogue of horse farts. You’re obviously a connoisseur. :rofl:

2 Likes

So many of the Masterpiece shows with horses have all kinds of unnecessary horse noises. Love the ones where the horses are neighing while they gallop along a solitary windswept cliff. :rofl:

3 Likes

My family had a dog who would leap off the couch barking wildly every time he heard a horse whinny on tv. Doorbells in commercials didn’t get him, but those whinnies really riled him up. Even when I was no longer living with the dog, every time I would hear a whinny on the screen, I would brace myself for the barking frenzy. I became very aware of all the excessive whinnying!

2 Likes

Wow I actually didn’t even notice that. I think I’ve just trained myself to tune out excessive horse noises in TV and movies at this point.

1 Like

This is also a pet peeve of mine.

In fact, at a show last weekend my friend’s horse was calling out basically the whole time she was riding and we were like: :face_with_monocle: why are you screaming?

LOL I missed this the first time it was posted. I almost came on to write something similar, although admittedly a lot less colorfully written.

More like “just add fart noises. That’s much more realistic.”

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAYVIY1izho only time I never get tired of it. :slight_smile: I swear, they recorded my gelding every. single. time. I step out on the porch. Now? I simply say BLUCHER back to him. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just binged my way through 1883 while recovering from surgery… and I do not recall my “canned whinnies” radar going off much at all. But equally - with that many horses around there should be farts. We have a pony mare here who basically produces long, melodious measures of the 1812 overture when she feels the need… which is most of the time.

Silent bears? Yeah… no. Not always.

When I worked on a ranch on the western slopes of the Rockies in British Columbia, black bears were as common as mule deer… and grizzlies were also frequent visitors. The few times that I came around a corner and a bear and I surprised each other (close or far off), that bear stood up on its hind legs and huffed (mouth usually closed) - think of the buzz snort of alarm that horses do.

I ran into the resident grizzly sow and her 2 small cubs one spring when I went to check the waterfowl pond in the pasture. Came around the corner of the path - she stood up and huffed - and my stupid terrier happily ran past her and was sniffing the very young cubs and inviting them to chase her and play. The sow did not care about the terrier (which sort of told me she was familiar with her scent and presence) and slowly dropped back to all fours when I froze. She collected the kids and they went down the hill to the river. They would cross through that pasture a few times a week - and Mom always announced their passage with her nose in the air and huffing as she went… but never EVER the big open mouth roaring the grizzlies on TV seem to do. Regardless, we gave them their space and coexisted peacefully.

Peacefully until later that summer - when irate golfers did not want to wait for the bear to play through when she crossed the mountainside resort golf course just north of us. They complained that she “intimidated” them (I had been within 15 feet of her and she never charged or threatened beyond our initial stand-off - in much closer quarters/brush than a wide open fairway) and a so-called conservation officer who was new to the area and the resident bears was called out to assess the situation. His assessment involved shooting the remaining cub (one already had been hit by a truck on the highway) as the cub ran off the fairway and headed down towards the river - and when the sow frantically ran to her distressed cub, he shot her too. In broad daylight. With lots of room to let her go by safely at a distance to the river. In front of witnesses and kids. She did not charge him or even run towards him (as per horrified witnesses). I heard the first rifle shots from down below at the barn and zoomed up there in my truck as my mom lived in that area - in time to see that a*****e put his foot on that bear’s neck and grandly “finish her off” with 3 shots from his gun to her head (so macho!) - in the middle of a flower bed where he had dropped the cub. Just 10 more feet to the brushy hill and game trail that ran down to the river and safety and freedom. 10 lousy feet. There was no need to “finish her off” - he knew that or he would not have been able to put his foot on her. I was livid. 30 years later, I still am. Typing this out made me Very Angry again.

After review, that “conservation” officer was fired. I was not the only one who filed a complaint about him. But I imagine that my complaint was far more colorful than was needed. Sorry for the tangent… :frowning:

2 Likes

That’s disgusting Glad he got fired

3 Likes

I always used to make fun of the excessive whinnying, too — until I brought my lease horse to HITS last summer and he whinnied the. entire. time. Going to the ring? Whinnying. Over the top of a jump? Whinnying. In the middle of a perfectly executed hunter course? Whinnying. Luckily the judge didn’t knock us for it — and I’m laughing in nearly every picture from the week (he’s whinnying in this one!)

9 Likes