Unlimited access >

So much whinnying on TV! Bridgerton for example

The only movie that’s remotely realistic in regard to horse noise is the animated film “Spirit.” I heard that the sound engineer purposely spent time around horses to listen and record the noises they made, not sure if that included farts.

3 Likes

I was watching one of the season 2 Bridgerton’s the other night and visually, I think I saw a horse and carriage, but I was unsure… then in the second scene, the same horse whinnied, so I KNEW for sure that it was a horse I saw. Thank god for whinny tracks (instead of laugh tracks)

1 Like

I’m always telling my bf how unrealistic it is. Then last week, while on the phone to him, one of my mares decided to let out an extremely loud whinny for no discernible reason. He’s now utterly convinced horses DO in fact whinny constantly.

I recall one particular show when I was a teen, pony (who up to that point had been quiet as a mouse except for nickering at food time), spent the WHOLE show, including during our tests, whinnying back and forth with a random horse somewhere on the grounds. Never did that again, although in her 20’s she has gotten extremely vocal about…everything. See me? Calls out. Food? Calls out. Left in the paddock while I take the young one in? Calls out. Sees the trailer? Calls out. Gets on the trailer? Calls out. Left tied up while I lunge young one? Calls out.

2 Likes

I had two horses that were very talkative, and one that never made a sound. Of the two talkative ones, one was a mare that would yell “Hey, sailor!” all over the neighborhood if my husband rode her when she was in season. He said it was embarrassing.

The two noisy ones eventually died (they were very old), and I was left with the quiet one. Well, he started yelling all the time. I’d never even heard his voice before.

He quieted down some when I boarded him, as he had a herd again. But he was still pretty noisy, especially compared to his earlier time with us.

Rebecca

1 Like

1883 and Yellowstone do a pretty good job portraying horses correctly, but then again, Taylor Sheridan knows better! I read that ‘Elsa’ had extensive bootcamp before filming so her riding was up to snuff on the show.

Bridgerton, on the other hand, can be a little comical. Did anyone else notice the scene where Anthony and Miss Sharma are arguing in the park and he mounts and gallops off, but he wasn’t even in the saddle when the horse took off? I was just waiting for him to fall off :rofl:

2 Likes

In a related manner, in movies/shows/commercials that take place in a Western landscape or in any big outside shot, listen for the EEEEEEEEK sound of a red tail hawk. That sound is used for eagles, vultures, ravens - you name it, any really big bird that’s soaring along. Or, sometimes there’s no bird in the shot and the call is just background “wilderness” sound scape. It happens so, so often that it’s as comical as the constant horse whinnying. I probably see red tail hawks every day of my life, and I love hearing them, but Lordy, they really don’t let loose with that call very often.

4 Likes

Now I am going to be listening for this EEEK of a red-tailed hawk, instead of being tormented by the constant loon-calls in the background of everything-no-matter-where-outdoors, so thank you! A counter-irritant.

YES YES YES

The horse-continuity on this series was so terrible. As bad as “National Velvet” when the horse kept changing color. ‘Miss Sharma’ (or the stunt double) galloping around trying to kill her horses as they changed breed, size, and gait was so exasperating.

1 Like

Hahahaha right!!! And (SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED IT!) her accident was ridiculous…in all the stops I’ve seen, I’ve never seen one rear in front of the fence :rofl:

2 Likes

YES! Enough with the loons! Especially with night shots for some reason. YES!

Just tonight we were watching the first episode of the new Ken Burns documentary on Ben Franklin. (I learned a lot from it.) There’s commentary about how Native Americans were not consulted or considered regarding the treaties ending the Seven Years War, accompanied by a long shot of mountains, mountains, mountains…and, you guessed it, EEEEEEK.

1 Like

So this came thru my for you page on Tiktoc this is part 3 of a series. I don’t think it’s a spoiler but you should watch episodes 1 and 2.

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPd9Rxoqa/

2 Likes

Slowly catching up on Yellowstone - and was very amused by a calving scene. Cowboys encounter cow on her side in labor. Without even getting that close or manually checking the position of the calf (and no feet showing) - it is declared that the calf is breech. ?? Produce calf puller and get to work. Calf is finally delivered - and immediately leaps to its feet and runs off.

That is not how that works. WTF? :laughing:

1 Like

That was perfect!!!

1 Like

It kinda reminds me of Heartland

Their page is worth following, for this and other reasons.

The mockumentary deserves an Oscar for most creative use of a Tiger’s Tongue. Don’t see it? Look carefully at Joshua.

Just watched Young Frankenstein the other day, It is circulating on my Netflix or Prime.

reminded me of this thread

2 Likes

Books too. I am rereading Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series and my brain can’t help but tally up every odd description of riding or equine behaviour. Anyone writing high fantasy that includes horses should spend a month working at a barn.

And I notice the very large proportion of “stallions” instead of horses, in some of this literature. Always galloping around, even when there’s no hurry.

1 Like

Yup. Reading Rick Riordan’s The Son of Neptune right now and twice, the description “tan roan stallion with a gorgeous black mane” has shown up. So a dun? Also, the horse is ridden by an 8 year old with little riding experience.

1 Like

binge watching season two. Had a snort laugh on a scene where a character is leaving, I believe at night and they open the front door. Faint whinny call outside.

Blucher!

3 Likes