Unlimited access >

Southern California Timothy or Timothy/Orchard Mix Hay

Does anybody know of a good dealer who will ship in somewhat smaller quantities (think 20 bales max) for preferably a lot under $21.00 a bale??
21 is the lowest I have found from feed stores in the area and the hay needs to be delivered to zip 91307.

Is there anybody in Calabasas/Topanga/West Hills/Chatsworth wanting to split timothy hay costs? I found one different people that have to deliver a minimun of 3 tons and I can possibly only store 1. From what I understand, if we are able to get 3 tons of Timothy, the end cost would only be $6.50 a bale and they are willing to work on delivery costs depending on whichever is cheapest (either per bale/per ton/etc).
I found another person who is $115 a ton and needs a minimum of 3 tons to be delivered. I have not sent them an email yet because I think they are looking for year long contracts, but if anything is at all interested, I could see if they can do it as needed. I tried to get hay yesterday and almost hay to pay 22 bucks for one bale!

If I were closer I would be interested… but I live too far away from you! I have a local feedstore that is selling timothy for $28.00 a bale!!! I actually travel about 45 minutes away and buy 10 bales (that is all that will fit in my truck) at $22.00 a bale - so I save 60 bucks. Unfortunately, I can only store about 12 bales (16 if I stuff it in) so I have to buy in smaller quantities. Sometimes if the timing is right I can go in on an order with my neighbors, but they have more horses than me and less storage - so they are constantly ordering hay from the expensive nearby place. And I was told by my hay guy that it is only going to get worse - and may not get any better pricewise!

good luck!

gah, that is an awesome price. Wish I were closer!

Hi, we’re about 2.5 hours north of Burbank and can get (they say) a truck load of mixed grass, including timothy, to us (between Bakersfield and Fresno, 15 miles east of I-5) for $6.10 a bale, plus shipping, starting deliveries in July.

Is that too far for you guys to drive? If it is, and you all can split a truck/trailer load, from a more central location, they’re Montana Hay Company. I expect that even with shipping, it would be cheaper than what you’re paying. Let me look up the addy for you.

We’re hoping to get some in so that we can make it available to people who really can’t afford to feed their horses. That’s probably going to be most people, the way things are going.

Just btw, locally grown alfalfa is selling here for $15 for a heavy (over 125#) bale, or $240 for a nominal ton. I bought one of the tons, and it is, probably, about 1 ton plus about 60#.

Here’s the address: http://wyominghay.com/share.html When you get there, back into the site, and go to “Hay for Sale” to see what they’re offering at what prices. They’re already closed for the day. I’ll call tomorrow and try to get some idea of what the charges would be from there to here.

I’m in Redlands, 92373, if that’s any help.

I could buy a ton if someone wants to go in on a group order, but I ONLY have someone to unload hay on Fridays.

I am shocked and horrified by the prices you poor souls have to pay for your hay!!! Jeekers, I have more than I can possibly use, from my own fields, and feel badly charging $6 a bale!! I wish I could get this beautiful stuff to you some how! I guess I am about as far from you as I could be and still be in te continental USA…

Timothy isn’t grown here, as far as I know, so it has to be trucked in. With diesel at $5/gallon it’s not surprising it’s so expensive :frowning:

Wish I could get some of that grass mix, but I have no storage.

[QUOTE=Little Indian;2991995]
…end cost would only be $6.50 a bale …QUOTE]

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wish i wasnt in Nor Cal!!!

at that price I would be storing it in my bedroom if I didnt have space!

[QUOTE=Ambrey;3266094]
Timothy isn’t grown here, as far as I know, so it has to be trucked in. With diesel at $5/gallon it’s not surprising it’s so expensive :frowning:

Wish I could get some of that grass mix, but I have no storage.[/QUOTE]

Typical bale size is 100-150lbs.

Little different than in the Northeast where it’s about half the weight if not less.

I get about 22 bales per 1 ton here in SoCal.
In the Northeast it was about 45 bales per ton.

I would be interested in sharing a load of Timothy. I’m in Southern Nevada but go to Southern California frequently.

timothy

Is there anybody in Calabasas/Topanga/West Hills/Chatsworth wanting to split timothy hay costs? I found one different people that have to deliver a minimun of 3 tons and I can possibly only store 1. From what I understand, if we are able to get 3 tons of Timothy, the end cost would only be $6.50 a bale and they are willing to work on delivery costs depending on whichever is cheapest (either per bale/per ton/etc).
I found another person who is $115 a ton and needs a minimum of 3 tons to be delivered. I have not sent them an email yet because I think they are looking for year long contracts, but if anything is at all interested, I could see if they can do it as needed. I tried to get hay yesterday and almost hay to pay 22 bucks for one bale![/QUOTE]

hi my name is cathy and i live in norco ca !! I am looking for someone to go in on buying hay with me i am looking for 5 tons of timothy and can share a load. if interested get back to me i pay 31.95 a bale!!! i really need a good deal!!! DONT YA THINK???

[QUOTE=Catharyn;3564712]
hi my name is cathy and i live in norco ca !! I am looking for someone to go in on buying hay with me i am looking for 5 tons of timothy and can share a load. if interested get back to me i pay 31.95 a bale!!! i really need a good deal!!! DONT YA THINK???[/QUOTE]

Hey Neighbor!

I’m just on the other side of the riverbed :slight_smile:

The best price on Timothy I found was $25 a bale last month but he was raising prices before the next shipment. $32 isn’t so bad anymore actually. As much as I love Timothy- I don’t feed it anymore. I get Orchard and Bermuda for half the price.

Where do you get orchard for that little?

I’m paying $25/bale for orchard (big bales though).

I’ll PM you…

I clearly need a bigger garage :wink:

I’m in Malibu

Is there anybody in Calabasas/Topanga/West Hills/Chatsworth wanting to split timothy hay costs?

I would delighted to split a load of Timothy. I am also interested in spliting a load of alfalfa but I don’t have a supplier, any suggestions? I am also willing to do a contract if that is what it takes.

Cricket in Malibu (Latigo Canyon Rd)

I’m in Calabasas, could consider timothy, but prefer orchard. How much is 1/2 load? Feel free to email me directly at dobilover@yahoo.com

I’m in Thousand Oaks and would love to split orchard grass, or timothy if the price is right.

I am in Burbank and would also love to go in with someone to take some of that Timothy!