Unlimited access >

Soy-free complete feed?

I’ve searched the threads but it seems like there haven’t been any that are too recent sooooo…

My mare has a soy allergy. She’s an easy keeper thankfully, so she just needs something similar to a ration balancer that will give her the protein, vitamins, and minerals she needs. I have tried a couple vit/min supplements with just crimped oats as a mixer, but she turns her nose up at most of them.

Anyone know of a RB or a complete feed that has no soy in it?

Hmmm may have answered my own question…found Triple Crown Naturals!! Anyone else feed that one?

no help on suggestions but I believe there is a poster that is in the HJ forum that has a horse that has a soy allergy… I believe it is vxf11? She may be able to share what she feeds :slight_smile:

Thanks!

k, it was really bothering me that I couldn’t find it so I did some digging:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?481867-sigh-is-there-such-a-thing-as-corn-free-soy-free-oat-free-grain

There’s a big caloric difference between a RB and a complete/fortified feed, so they aren’t interchangeable.

M10 (McCauley’s) is a soy-free ration balancer, but it’s low in protein, which might or might not matter. Adding some alfalfa pellets could help, if the horse can take the calories. There’s another soy-free RB that I never remember for some reason :rolleyes:

We feed Blue Seal’s Min-A-Vite Lite to our soy allergy mare. It is just a vitamin/mineral balancer, no protein. We use it with oats as a carrier, but you could use it with alfalfa or timothy pellets like another poster mentioned.

Well I tried out Triple Crown Naturals and she LOVES it! :slight_smile: she only gets about a pound a day though not their recommended 6 lbs…she doesn’t need the calories and honestly I plugged it into her Feed XL account and even at 1 lb per day it meets all her vitamin and mineral requirements so we are good to go!

I don’t understand how at 1 lb. a day you’d be covering her basic vit/mineral needs?? It has a minimum of a 6 lb. feeding ratio. Are you feeding extra vit/min supplements?

2 Likes

[QUOTE=YellowPonyEventer;8903344]
Well I tried out Triple Crown Naturals and she LOVES it! :slight_smile: she only gets about a pound a day though not their recommended 6 lbs…she doesn’t need the calories and honestly I plugged it into her Feed XL account and even at 1 lb per day it meets all her vitamin and mineral requirements so we are good to go![/QUOTE]

How does it meet her needs if you are not feeding the recommended amounts?

1 Like

Cheaper option that covers all bases: HorseTech custom blend
My boy’s blend has his vits/mins, protein, fat, magnesium, electrolytes, immune boost and extra E and Selenium. Soy free, grain free. $100 a pail, pail lasts two months.

It is a good bit of powder but I put it with soaked cubes, pellets or beet pulp and he eats it right up. They have 5 or 6 different flavors to chose from. They will send you tons of samples to try. Very easy, 100% customizable, 2 day free shipping and a bag of Famous Amos cookies. Can’t go wrong.

1 Like

It’s because of the high quality hay and grass pasture she’s getting.

Not to thread jack, but how did you know your horse had a soy allergy? Outward signs?

I’m asking because I’m wondering if my mares feed which the main ingredient is soy bean hulls are making her in season cycles worse than other horses not on this particular feed.

For my mare, we actually had an allergy blood test done and she came back high positive to soy, along with molasses and several other allergens like the cullicoides fly (no see ums).

But the reason we had the test done to begin with was because she was getting random hives for no reason and we couldn’t figure out what was going on. She would also get giant welts whenever a fly bit her that wouldn’t go away, eventually they biopsied one when it turned into a hard lump and it turned out to be a granuloma caused by an allergic reaction to a cullioides bite. That all prompted the allergy panel.

[QUOTE=Hayburner;8905677]
Not to thread jack, but how did you know your horse had a soy allergy? Outward signs?

I’m asking because I’m wondering if my mares feed which the main ingredient is soy bean hulls are making her in season cycles worse than other horses not on this particular feed.[/QUOTE]

The only way to know is take her off soy. Have you have her long enough, on different feeds, to know with fair certainty that her heat cycles are newly this bad?

Advertising is historically not allowed and the typos here may not be presenting the level of professionalism you’re hoping to convey. Best of luck with your tractor supply endeavor. This is a growing market and I think there’s still room for innovation and quality products.

Wow this is an old thread, somehow it got revived haha! I’m definitely not looking anymore but thanks everyone for your input!

We removed the post that bumped this old thread in order to promote a product.

1 Like

Oooh, this has me wondering about a mystery upper lip “button” mine got a few years ago. It eventually disappeared a few months after I decided to stop worrying about it since it hadn’t grown or changed in anyway.

Did your mare’s granuloma shrink or disappear in time or is it still present?