Unlimited access >

Spin-off from the "rare breed" stallion - Akhal-Teke's, why would you want one?

It was some of the other shots on your flickr

[QUOTE=JER;5361797]
Melyni, what are you looking at?

If it’s jumping and it’s in my Flickr photostream, it’s not the TB-Teke.

The o/f pics are of her half-sister, who is by Catherston Dazzler and is a DWB/TB cross. Who, I guess, jumps like a Teke. :slight_smile: And who is about to move up to Advanced in eventing. :smiley: (Those photos are from her very first ever Novice outing in 2008.) I assure you her knees are more stylish over serious fences.

The TB-Teke is actually quite stylish and would fit very nicely in the large pony hunters.

Your filly is adorable. (I never get any white.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks, All the Tekes I see eventing around here ( and we have quite a few being as Shenandoah Farms are right in Staunton), tend to be casual about their knees until the jumps reach a reasonable height. They usually clear them, just not in a conventional manner.

YOUrs
MW

[QUOTE=Melyni;5362629]
Thanks, All the Tekes I see eventing around here ( and we have quite a few being as Shenandoah Farms are right in Staunton), tend to be casual about their knees until the jumps reach a reasonable height. [/QUOTE]

A good jumper doesn’t need to make a huge effort over a small fence. Efficiency is a good thing in an eventer. :slight_smile:

You might enjoy the free jump video from this young Super Star gelding – and his knees are quite typical of what I’ve seen of SS babies. To see the video, go to this page, then scroll down to Leonudus. Under his photos, you can click on ‘watch my free jump video.’ He’s a lovely horse and the jump is quite something.

I sometimes think we do not have as good of an understanding about conformation as we think we do. Here is a horse that is renowned for durability and athleticism and some of their breed characteristics are generally thought of as faults. I really think function, more than form should be the standard. Function follows form but that does not mean we understand how it correlates.

[QUOTE=stoicfish;5362771]
Here is a horse that is renowned for durability and athleticism and some of their breed characteristics are generally thought of as faults. I really think function, more than form should be the standard.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you and I care far more about function than form when looking at a gelding. With a breeding animal, you need to pay attention to both.

My comments were directed toward crossing WBs and TBs with ATs. ATs are very functional in their form but that doesn’t mean you want to make an equine Mr. Potatohead out of WB and AT parts. A WB is usually heavier-bodied, for example, and you don’t necessarily want that on lighter AT legs. But that’s no different, really, than breeding any two types of horse, like WB and TB.

The crosses do always seem to get the AT shimmery coat, which makes for a n eye-catching horse. While I do love the gold color, I knew my chances of getting it were nil with my TB mare – she is homozygous for black – but my ATx mare is a deep, shiny black (not brown, like her sisters and mum).

JER,
Well that is the crux of the breeding thing. Will those same traits work as well if modified or combined with different structures. It reminds me of structural engineering, there is more than one way to create torque or support, but that doesn’t mean the designs will work if combined. For horses you have to try it to see how it works.

I completely agree and had a similar thought when I read those earlier comments that we must be careful not to judge a breed such as this by our own modern standards.

Our Colonial Spanish horses also have unique conformation that some might think are flaws such as a narrow chest, flat muscles, and a sloping croup but for our breed those are desirable characteristics. The croup is very much built like modern Spanish horses and quite clearly allows them to sit and lift easily as well as be very agile and able to maneuver well off their hindquarters. The narrow chest allows for that same grace, flexibility, and agility also. The flat muscles are excellent for endurance and they have the same muscle types as Arabians. Put those traits on a QH though and you have a fairly poorly built QH.

So function over form every time. I again would suggest that while the unique ancient breeds are quite different from moderns; and what might seem a fault in a modern sporthorse, when taken in the complete package of one of these antique breeds, is simply part of what makes them so unique and special.

[QUOTE=stoicfish;5362771]
I sometimes think we do not have as good of an understanding about conformation as we think we do. Here is a horse that is renowned for durability and athleticism and some of their breed characteristics are generally thought of as faults. I really think function, more than form should be the standard. Function follows form but that does not mean we understand how it correlates.[/QUOTE]

And it also depends on what their form was made to function as! Ie: With the upside down neck, long back, high flat croup I would not immediately choose one for dressage. So it may be a “fault” for that discipline but not for others. But gosh, some of the crosses that have been posted DO scream dressage!

[QUOTE=Kinsella;5361226]
Me three!! Me three!!! :D[/QUOTE]

There’s something comforting in knowing I am one of a tribe of little girls that just loved that picture and dreamed of owning that horse!