Unlimited access >

Spinoff- Controversy of Redwine affect the value of his offspring?

The reason I am bringing this up is because I have a breeding to Redwine for a 2013 foal. According to IHF the foal is eligible for nomination. However, seeing all the controversy and talk surrounding Redwine, has this taken affect on the value and marketability of his offspring?

It could. Or maybe not. As long as the quality is good, the foals should still sell. Sometimes all the controversy is publicity and gets a stallion a lot of attention. What the controversy is not always good for is the stallion owner’s reputation and it could affect sales of the stallion owner, but might not necessarily affect the sales of foals owned by other people. Just my opinion.

Are you suggesting that years from now the threads on this topic will dissuade someone considering the purchase of a Redwine son or daughter? That seems to be a huge leap. Given what I’ve seen of buyers and their criteria, I can’t imagine a scenario where anything said here would impact the value of his progeny. Many buyers don’t know or care about sire or dam. They purchase based solely on the horse in front of them. JMO.

I think the controversy may well affect how many people choose to breed to Redwine so as not to have to deal with his owner, but his foals on the ground (assuming you get them registered) should not be affected for future resale.

Ditto everything that was said.

For the record I’ve had only excellent service from Jill and her crew.
My mare had a late diagnosed infection and needed multiple shipments (and I’m in Canada so apply the CEM factor :mad:).

Everyone of them arrived on time (except the last one-15 hours custom delay-sigh), in great shape, with the required information. I received the breeding certificate with no hassled once I told her that my mare was <finally!!> pregnant.

Now counting down the weeks for my little Redwine/Weltmeyer/Bolero baby.

If its a filly: she is MINE!!, if it’s a colt I don’t expect having any trouble finding him a good home: with the number of foals by Redwine out there potential buyers have a good idea what to expect.

My two cents…

Ditto what someone said about not affecting the value of the foals on the ground, but it may affect how many mare owners breed to him.
I think the biggest thing that affects the value of Redwine foals is the increasingly large number of them available. Good for buyers, as they can shop around. I think later on, if you have one going under saddle, then the value will be solely determined by the horse itself. But for selling a foal there are quite a few of them out there.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending upon your perspective, the foals are nice. Some are extremely nice. Otherwise all you would hear is crickets when you mentioned his name.

time will tell. Foals need to grow up to be talented horses. :slight_smile:

Pretty is as pretty does

[QUOTE=3Dogs;6105803]
time will tell. Foals need to grow up to be talented horses. :slight_smile:

Pretty is as pretty does[/QUOTE]

There are some offspring under saddle now and the one I have is fantastic.

I have a coming 4 year old from Redwine’s first foal crop in North America. Yes…she sure is pretty, but she is a real athlete as well. Big elastic gaits, huge ring presence, stunning good looks, fabulous conformation, nice quality scopey jump.

She’s very special mare. Right now she’s enjoying a short break at home. She gets time off, and I get to appreciate her good looks:) We all love a pretty horse.

I have not had any issues either - I have an in-utero coming this year. However mine is a Romantic Star foal.

What I have seen of Redwine he stamps his foals - they all seem to be lovely movers, nice temperarments and can jump. Nice long necks, short backs and pretty faces.

I know there are some going now and they seem to be doing very well… All in all a a very nice Hunter stallion.

I would take one in a second in if I had more money and time… Maybe next year.

He has had foals due very well on the line which seems to indicate that there will be some very nice ones out there.

I dont know that I agree there are a LOT - Jill breeds him quite often to her mares probably due to the EVA issue.

Time will tell but I have a good feeling about him.

Babies

Our 4 year old Redwine babies move like the wind. Will jump anything-sometimes by themselves, they do not spook, loves to go to the ring. They are smart, versatile, handsome and a pleasure and joy to be their owner.

[QUOTE=EquineLVR;6107763]
I have not had any issues either - I have an in-utero coming this year. However mine is a Romantic Star foal.

What I have seen of Redwine he stamps his foals - they all seem to be lovely movers, nice temperarments and can jump. Nice long necks, short backs and pretty faces.

I know there are some going now and they seem to be doing very well… All in all a a very nice Hunter stallion.

I would take one in a second in if I had more money and time… Maybe next year.

He has had foals due very well on the line which seems to indicate that there will be some very nice ones out there.

I dont know that I agree there are a LOT - Jill breeds him quite often to her mares probably due to the EVA issue.

Time will tell but I have a good feeling about him.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think “a lot” in comparison to the typical number of foals available from a N. American stallion. It isn’t a criticism; I just know that if you want to sell a youngster before it is under saddle that sometimes it helps if there aren’t as many with the same breeding available. Supply and demand, etc. Just a quick search of one sales site shows over a dozen available, w/widely ranging prices. It also looks like Jill has 11 or so babies of his for sale in addition to offering 16 in-utero for 2012. It isn’t criticism; I don’t have strong feelings one way or the other about the horse. I think he is gorgeous, but I don’t do hunters, so it doesn’t really apply to me :)!

Just curious…what is the controversy ?

How much time do you have? :wink: Both of these threads are entirely about Jill Burnell from Gray Fox Farms. Allegedly, she has just been charged with four counts of felony fraud for writing bad cheques. Unfortunately, as long as people continue to support her business, breed to her stallions and purchase horses from her…the longer she’s going to stay in business and continue to do this to others. :frowning:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310480

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332329

There are so many threads on the COTH telling stories of how untrustworthy this Stallion Owner is/can be. If, a year from now, you find you can’t get registration papers for your foal, can’t attend an inspection…or some other catastrophe happens due to to the actions of this less than honest Stallion Owner, you completely forfeit all rights to come back on the COTH next year and b!tch about it! ;):lol:

A nice horse is a nice horse regardless…:yes: But I did see Redwine perform, and my only question/reservation would be his step. He did have to rush to get down the lines, and he did look worried in my opinion. But as many of you say, the mare brings alot to the breeding shed.

Jill Burnell’s reputation speaks for itself :eek:

http://www.washcova.com/government/constitutionaloffices/sheriffs-office/active-warrants

Do I think it will effect the value of his foals? No, like SilverBalls said a good horse is a good horse. But I would never breed to one of her stallions, or buy a foal that had not already been inspected. I could also not see myself buying one from Jill, I do not want to do business with her directly. It is a shame, I am a fan of Romantic Star but I could always buy one from someone who bred to him and all the foal registration and inspection is done.

Bill -SB - I too watched Redwine perform -

First - to all who have wonderful offspring - fantastic! I believe a great mare is the key. and congratulations!

Second - What I saw showing was a dressage moving horse with a limited jump - and don’t go down the road of all who are owed money for the brief show time - He is after all primarily a dressage horse that was for sale for a year in Europe. Shoot me - circle the wagons -

Be that as it may - since hunter breeding is a GIANT black box ( notice in the year end award COTH issue we got the breeding of top jumpers and top eventers - but other than Dedication’s breeding- nada for the hunters) - who really knows??

So for all with super offspring - proves to me you have fabulous mares - and that is what it is all about!

[QUOTE=SilverBalls;6108365]
A nice horse is a nice horse regardless…:yes: But I did see Redwine perform, and my only question/reservation would be his step. He did have to rush to get down the lines, and he did look worried in my opinion. But as many of you say, the mare brings alot to the breeding shed.

That’s what breeding is all about. Taking strengths from both and hope they put together a nice horse. You hope that the combination doesn’t come up with the weaknesses of both.

So far no trouble at all with getting down any lines at any time. Came from the mare? Who knows. The youngsters cover the ground effortlessly.