Unlimited access >

Stallion Recommendations - Eventing (TB Mare cross)

This an older thread. Anyone else curious who OP picked for her gorgeous mare??

4 Likes

Iā€™m still trying to decide. I really struggle with choosing because Iā€™m so clueless lol

What kind of horse do YOU like to ride? That would be my number one priority. Somebody elseā€™s preference might not be your kind of ride. Then look at competition results or even better progeny competition results. Especially progeny out of TB mares. Lots of nice stallions out there.

Canā€™t we breed to Upsilon now that he is on the upswing?

If I had a nice TB mare Iā€™d be inclined to breed to OBOS Quality. I love just about every horse by him. But what I like doesnā€™t mean itā€™s what you like!!

What I really want is talent and a good brain. Big brave jump with a good gallop and a nice enough mover to do pure dressage if needed.

Iā€™m not that picky on style of how they go, I have a variety at home from quiet and push rides to hot hot hot. Love them all :slight_smile:

Yes, I like that one too. I love Upsilon and have heard his sons are actually nicer producers than him.

Itā€™s the overseas thing that makes me nervous. Itā€™s so very foreign to me.

1 Like

Have you seen Future Hepsilon? No idea if heā€™s available to us either. But he was on my radar because I like Upsilon a lot.
https://futuresporthorses.co.uk/stallions/future-hepsilon/

1 Like

LOVE him, heā€™s very much what I like. A bit big but Iā€™m used to that now :roll_eyes: lol Need to research overseas deliveryā€¦anyone have experience in this thread?

I think you have to find somebody that imports his semen. Paying to ship one dose from England would be cost prohibitive. You could contact the people that stand him and see who their agent/agents are in this country. They would probably ship multiple doses from several stallions to the US or Canada.

I really like Future Hepsilon but Iā€™m not sure he is available in the US right now. I would reach out to Future Sport Horses and check with them to confirm that and find out if they have any plans to make him available. The semen has to be export qualified. In my experience (different country and it does vary slightly but I think the UK is still similar) the stallion has to go to a specific collection site and there are different testing and quarantine requirements for that. Here is a general overview of what needs to happen and I think you can get the specific country requirements through the USDA website.

https://www.selectbreeders.com/articles/importing-frozen-semen

Are you looking to breed this year? If so, Iā€™d recommend against trying to import frozen this year with all the shipping delays internationally and the lockdowns in the UK. If youā€™re looking for next year, definitely reach out to Future Sport Horses and see what the options are, if any!

ETA: You might consider Navarone. He crosses well on TB mares, isnā€™t too big, has some blood, and has some pure dressage horses and UL eventers out there, I believe. He is also in the US and I believe is still available fresh.

Contact Stallion AI Services (www.stallionai.co.uk) directly and ask them. They have special collection and storage for stallion semen that is going overseas and they regularly deal with North American breeders. They handle Future Hepsilon.

And a fantastic range of stallions to choose from. My fav is Je Tā€™aime Flamenco because he had the temperament of a family pet!

1 Like

Thank you, I am actually in Canada. Not set on this year since I cant decide on the stud lol

He is lovely thank you for the suggestion. I will look into him a bit further.

Thank you for this resource!

If you are interested in Navarone, Kathy is on this forum. I like her stallion Schroeder as well.

1 Like
2 Likes

An up and coming young stallion for your consideration is Normann Gii who has rarely found, but proven Olympic producing bloodlines in both show jumping and eventing. He is bred almost identically to Jack of Diamonds (SWE) - Irco Mena x Imperius x King of Diamonds. Normann Gii is Irco Mena x Norson (Nordlys x Water Serpent ) x Imperius x King of Diamonds x Highland Flight. Jack of Diamonds is full brother to Leslie Burr Howardā€™s winning international 1.6M jumper Nick of Diamonds. Jack is sire of international super star eventing mare Rioghan Rua, Gaelic for 'Red Queen." Rua, together with her rider Cathal Daniels, won the individual Bronze in eventing at the European Championships in 2019 and contributed clean XC and show jumping rounds to the Team Silver for Ireland at WEG Tryon in 2018. She is favored for a podium finish representing Ireland in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics. Normannā€™s and Jackā€™s sire, Irco Mena, sired Wega the individual Silver Medalist at the 2012 London Olympics. Irco Mena also sired Sultan V, who contributed clean rounds to Team Saudi Arabiaā€™s Team Bronze also at the 2012 London Olympics. Normannā€™s dam sire, Norson, is 3/4 in blood to Mullacrew, the dam of Cruising, with both being Nordlys x Water Serpent. Both Nordlys and Water Serpent sired Olympic Medalists - Nordlys the sire of Ambassador Gold individual show jumping 1976 Munich Olympics, and Water Serpent the sire of The Rock, Silver medalist in Rome Olympics 1960. Normannā€™s great dam sire, Imperius is of course the sire of eventing super sire, Master Imp. The next two sires in Normannā€™s pedigree, King of Diamonds x Highland Flight, produced Special Envoy, Bronze Medalist with Rodrigo Pessoa in 1996 Atlanta Olympics Team show jumping. Normannā€™s dam line produced the sire of McKinlaigh, individual Silver Eventing 2008 Beijing Olympics. Normannā€™s sire line is also the sire line of the legendary Milton, double World Cup champion among many other international wins in show jumping. The sire line is known for easy trainability, love of jumping, and super jumping technique. Normann has won in the age jumper classes at WEF, WEC-Ohio, and Kentucky Horse Park and has won nearly all his starts. If anyone is interested to know more, please email ballyfarnan10@gmail.com. He is the only living stallion in the world with all these proven Irish bloodlines in one genetic package and as such is a genetic treasure for eventing and show jumping.

1 Like

You had me at Rioghan Rua!!!

I want to chime in and say that earlier this breeding season I bred to Edgarā€™s stallion Utopie, which is mentioned earlier. I ride jumpers.

This is the second time I have bred to one of Edgarā€™s stallions. He has an assortment of nice ones, and is very helpful to help you choose between them. But the main reason I went to Edgar is because of the incredibly professional service. Breeding is challenging in the first place, but an EXCELLENT stallion owner makes things much easier. And Utopie is a VERY nice stallion.

You have a lovely mare!

3 Likes

Thank you for the info!

Have you looked at Bon Balou near Milton? Nice Anglo Arab breeding on the dam line. Young stallion but great gaits and jump.

2 Likes