Unlimited access >

Stirrup leathers for Antares

Hi all!
Just got my Antares saddle and I was looking for a suggestion from you all on leathers which are affordable, durable and that match well/go with the Antares saddle.
Any owners of Antares have leathers not by that brand that they like?

(I’m trying to find something on the affordable side)

Any suggestions on sturdy, durable lined leathers would be great!

They aren’t lined, but I swear by my Gary Mundy custom leathers. They match my Antares like a dream. (congrats on the new saddle, btw)!

I’ve heard a lot of good things about GM!
I’ll look into getting a pair. Where did you purchase yours?
(And thanks! Got my saddle for a steal! 2006 model for $1,600)

CWD and Pessoa leathers tend to oil up to nicely match the red-brown Antares saddles.

I bought these a few months ago: http://www.doversaddlery.com/stübben-lined-stirrup-leathers/p/X1-06871/#ProductTabs

They match my 2008 buffalo Antares perfectly. I have short legs and like they come in 54".

Beval. My favorites, and they match many brands of saddle.

I bought these a few months ago in Havana color to go with my Antares and I think they match quite well. They’re very soft but seem sturdy as well.

http://www.beval.com/Products/Italian-Stirrup-Leathers/2505900.aspx

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7250374]
I’ve heard a lot of good things about GM!
I’ll look into getting a pair. Where did you purchase yours?
(And thanks! Got my saddle for a steal! 2006 model for $1,600)[/QUOTE]

You buy them directly from Gary. Do a search on ‘Mundy’ and I’m sure you’ll find his email info.

I too just got my new Antares about 3 weeks ago! The leathers I have aren’t quite the right color. The saddle I had trialed was a 2012 and I figured it would be the same color but mine is a nice dark brown. I’m going to try to darken my leathers but for some reason I have the worst time trying to darken leather in general. Mink oil, Hydrophane, Olive oil, etc don’t seem to do anything to any of my stuff! So I might have to fork out the money and buy some that are darker. That was one upside to looking at CWD’s. They came with leathers!

Another vote for Beval.

Prestige leathers.

I bought the Antares leathers to match my Antares saddle and hated them. 2 other people at the barn that bought the Antares saddle bought the matching leathers and also hated them. The seem too narrow and kept twisting so I would not recommend them.

My new Antares came with leathers and I’ve had no issues with them twisting. And, of course, they match.

Prestige leathers. Look around for them on eBay, etc, and you can find them for much less than the usual $135-$145. 135cm is the “standard” length.

Gary’s email is gleather@rtccom.net. Fully custom leathers for $50-65 made by hand by a small businessman here in the USA? You betcha!

[QUOTE=java;7250797]
I bought the Antares leathers to match my Antares saddle and hated them. 2 other people at the barn that bought the Antares saddle bought the matching leathers and also hated them. The seem too narrow and kept twisting so I would not recommend them.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have Antares leathers, and I really like them. I HATED my Antares saddle, but two broken trees in less than three years for no good reason will do that to a person.

I have the Antares leathers but I haven’t used them yet. The set I had matched the saddle well so I figured I would keep the Antares leathers until I need to replace them. The other thing is that the Antares leathers are a Really light colour and don’t match the saddle at all. Will they darken with an oiling to match the saddle?

They will really darken. Mine darkened to match perfectly but were narrow as some of the others posted. When they wore out the bought the Stubbens.

[QUOTE=fourfillies;7250548]
I bought these a few months ago: http://www.doversaddlery.com/stübben-lined-stirrup-leathers/p/X1-06871/#ProductTabs

They match my 2008 buffalo Antares perfectly. I have short legs and like they come in 54".[/QUOTE]

I think 54" is the standard length, CWD and some others make a short length that are about 48 or 50 depending on the manufacturer. Gary Mundy is nice for the money but not lined, I won’t use anything but lined any more, they won’t stretch like the unlined ones do and won’t break either.