Unlimited access >

Stirrups - Share your Favorites

I bought Jins when they first came out (over 15 years ago) because I just didn’t want to lose another pound of my weight to make it easier for my horse. :joy: Still using the same pair on my jump saddle. Dressage saddle has my fillis irons that are 30 years old.

Before the Jins, I had a pair of Sprenger wrapped with vet wrap on the footbed (or sealtex to go really old school).

It comes down to why you are looking for new stirrups. That will guide the type of stirrup you want.

I have had my Prussian stirrups at least 50 years, and my Fillis at least 30.

3 Likes

Have been using old Stubben fillips irons and MDS jointed forever. Looking for the widest stirrup for a size 13 (mens) boot and I’m wondering if any of the newer stirrups are available in a 5 inch plus width. It seems as though many only come in one size, often difficult to decipher if they do mention width. Is it possible that width isn’t as important for safety with these newer styles?

Looking at safety stirrups - does anyone know why Royal Rider would say these are not USEF legal? they look like a similar mechanism to the FreeJumps and know those are popular. I like the RRs on my dressage saddle and want safety stirrups to jump, so hoped these would work!

https://www.toklat.com/Products/BP/97-2020

Also wanting safety stirrup recommendations, what has everyone tried?

Not FreeJumps, unlike posters here I tried and hated them they didn’t work for me sadly.

I have the flex-on safety stirrups. I haven’t noticed them being unstable - maybe just a tiny give landing off jumps. I haven’t had to use the safety features, but I really like them so far. They were pricey, but I haven’t had any regrets.

I haven’t tried the freejumps (The open arm worried me - I saw someone got their reins tangled in the open arm and that scared me off of them) so I am not sure how the Freejumps compare to the flex-on (besides the visual).

1 Like

Do those have a wide foot bed?

I have Samshield safety stirrups on my dressage saddle, and TechVenice sloped on my jump. I would NOT jump in the samshields, personally - they open at the bottom, and I’ve accidentally popped them open when I shifted my weight on the stirrup a few times.

My only complaint about the TechVenice is they have a little squeak to them, which only happens occasionally. They are heavy.

1 Like

Do you have a link for those one? I would like to see the slant foot bed you mentioned. I don’t mind heavy I have Lorenzinis now and they’re like a brick.

Safety stirrups are going to be mandatory soon so I want to get ready now.

https://www.techstirrups.com/prodotto/venice-sloped-evo-2/

1 Like

Damn those are pricier than Lorenzinis ahhaa are they worth it?

They are clearly very high quality. Worth the price, to me.

I’ve been hung up before, though, so I didn’t give a damn what it cost to prevent that from happening again.

That said, I would NOT buy the Samshields again. I don’t like them much.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t mind spending if it’s worth it! Thanks for the info, after watching the FEI symposium videos of ppl being dragged I’m on a path to upgrade asap lol

1 Like

You might be able to find them used - I don’t think there’s anything about them that would scare me off a used pair. You’d have to do something SUPER stupid to damage them, they’re solid.

Yes they have a wider footbed, I have the inclined footbed and the “ultra grip” that has little metal spikes in the footbed (both of these are options- you can get flat or inclined, normal or ultra grip) (the little metal spikes are not too harsh - except to the palm of my hand when I first went to roll my stirrups up and I forgot).

I have yet to have them open unexpectedly even though they open at the bottom.

https://www.flex-on.fr/safe-on-stirrups/?lang=en

I think Farmhouse had better photos of the footbed than the flex-on site.

1 Like

How do you like the inclined foot bed? What’s the reason behind that? With my sore feet all the time wondering if that might help too.

What is your source for this?

I think I like it - honestly I haven’t noticed a major difference. I have weak ankles (I think), but I don’t have the overly flexable ankles - I think it allows me to sink more into my heels while galloping, but not sure if it really does.

I think I’ve been less sore in may ankles than before, but they are still weak and have some pain every now and again.

https://www.shadowhorse.co.uk/pages/about-flex-on-stirrups#:~:text=Flat%20vs.,a%20matter%20of%20individual%20taste.

This site talks about the flat for dressage and inclined for jumping. I just found this page and it has good information on the different options (and some reasoning behind their recommendations).

FEI Symposium.

1 Like

Thanks for that!! Good info!

1 Like