Unlimited access >

Stirrups - Share your Favorites

Update: https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/96D17lSsaCo/annex---bits-saddlery-equipment

I’ve found dressage rules pointing out that open branch stirrups are illegal starting in 2023 (pages 54 & 55 in that link) but not finding anything in eventing or h/j rules

I’ve used the old style safety stirrups with the curved edges, as well as the old Kwik Outs. But I love both of my current options - the Acavallo Arena AluPro and LeMieux Vector Control stirrups. I think I slightly prefer the Acavallos, but I’m converting all of my saddles to these types of stirrups. I have osteoarthritis in my knee and an old lower back injury, and these definitely help, plus I love the safety as I have horses at home and ride alone a lot. I don’t find them to be too light weight, either.

Acavallo Opera Stirrups.

LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

Changed my life as a rider. Before them struggled with things over 3’7"

After - Competing at 1.35m and up.

GET RID OF THE BENDY stirrups. You can do more without them, even with bad knees. Wider foot beds are much much better.

Link to them on SmartPak… Plenty of places have them.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/acavallo-opera-stirrups-16413?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=NB_Search_Tack_Stirrup_Irons_3P_Exact%2BPhrase&utm_campaign=Acavallo+-+Opera&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgaGgBhC8ARIsAAAyLfFR-YZT3EipmzaS40imT9Zy0JEZaru44Y4KjHVFZx8wocF78yNePH0aAh-eEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Emily

2 Likes

Those are safety?

I have the Majyk Safety Stirrups that they don’t seem to make anymore. Some people complained that they squeaked, but they were purple and I had to have them. Reasonable, I know. I’ve never had an issue with them squeaking, but I did apply a generous amount of mineral oil to them. They have a wide foot bed and good enough grip that i’m 99% certain my foot is where it’s supposed to be (I have no feeling in my foot!) If I ride longer, they don’t hurt my knees. If I jack them up two holes for proper cross county, I can feel it.

That said, they don’t hold a candle to my Freejumps. If I’m riding all day or hunting, etc. I throw my not purple Freejumps on.

I don’t think so. Also, note that the sideways eye will eliminate some security of the leather wrapping around the front of the shin. Offset eyes have always been a no for me for that reason - I need all the “keep your leg secure” help I can get.

1 Like

Yes… Hard to describe but the 2 arms are not solid at the top. You can pull them apart and they can in a situation that needs to, pull against and they do separate.

This shows what I mean around 2:10. Clip will start at 2:05.

@endlessclimb no other stirrup has held my leg as steady as these. Truly.

Em

3 Likes

Ophena is the maker of magnetic stirrups. My wife rides in them and she likes them. They are allowed in most show jumping competitions around the world.

Not currently allowed in USA in Eventing or Dressage.

Em

I love the SafeStyle stirrups and have had them for about 10 yrs? I have the Xlite version.
https://www.safestyle.nl/stijgbeugels/?v=796834e7a283

They were $99 with free shipping so think they’ve gone up about $10-$20. They were kinda a precursor to the FreeJumps. Safety was the most important factor to me!

1 Like

Another vote for the Venice Tech Stirrups with sloped footbed! I also like that the come in all silver for a traditional look.

A vote for Acavallo! I bought a pair of these about 3 months ago and I love them! They have treads for my slipping boots all the time, and they’re super durable! I bought some for Christmas presents and my friends couldn’t be happier! Highly recommended! I also love the LeMieux vector stirrups! Really love those for X/C, helps with my lower leg.

1 Like

I use FreeJump on my jump saddle and Tech Venice on my dressage saddle. In USDF, they don’t allow FreeJump with the open branch stirrups, which is why I put TechVenice on my dressage saddle. In USEA, I rode with FreeJumps in all phases no problem.

I really like both but if I suddenly had my stirrups evaporate and needed to replace, I’d go with Tech brand stirrups on both. It’s weird and rare but I have had my rein loop slide into the gap on my FreeJumps. I caught it quickly the two times it happened but it was scary.

That being said, FreeJumps do really work. I had a horse spook when I was mounting and I went underneath and I got caught in my stirrup. I recall vividly feeling the stirrup bend and I slid out immediately. This was in my dressage saddle.

3 Likes

I’m liking the look of new Ophena stirrups (non-magnetic with a breakaway branch).

1 Like

I was on the hunt for safety stirrups a couple of years ago and REALLY wanted the samshields but they were sold out everywhere and super duper back ordered with no idea of when they would be manufactured/shipped again. My second choice was the Tech Venice sloped and my third choice was the Acavallo Opera.

I ended up buying the tech venice sloped because they came up on sale and I have to say I love them a lot. I am an adult beginner who only does flatwork (one day this summer I will ride my first ever dressage schooling show… Intro level here I come!) and the odd cross-rail. I have troublesome knees which also manifests itself as hip and ankle pain as I get older (all these joint pains make me feel about 80 years old some days!) and the stirrups REALLY make a difference for me.

My coach did try riding in them and hated them. I find that some people love them and some people hate them. The only thing I don’t like about them is when they aren’t run up and I’m carrying my saddle and they accidentally bang against my knees - which I do all too frequently LOL

2 Likes

@Jealoushe if you haven’t purchased yet, I bought my venice tech evo plus’s from Treehouse Sporting Goods and they were much cheaper than the US prices.

2 Likes

I will join you guys. Plain stainless 5 1/2" with white pads.

1 Like

OOOH thanks for this tip. I too am an AA re-rider (again!) I’ve landed at an eventing barn and I absolutely refuse to ride “out” anywhere near an XC course without open from the top safety stirrups.

the problem is I vacillate between very prim and classic (what can I say, I was a Dressage junior) to NEON tank tops in SoCal summer and brown boots and mauve show jackets per my Showjumping AA self…

Do I want black or silver irons or do I want black & rose gold or GASP the black & brown look amazing

:star_struck:

3 Likes

Yay, happy to help! I couldn’t stomach the $600 price tag here in the states, so I went bargain hunting and Treehouse delivered :clap:t2:

I am also a purist so mine are just plain silver, but I love the variety of colors available.

1 Like

For the Venice slope, the hinge is at the bottom and the top comes apart? Does the footbed move?

I have a pair of old stirrups, probably close to 30 years now, and they come off near the top and the footbed comes up. I love the because you wouldn’t know they were safety stirrups, they look like regular fillis. I want another pair for my dressage saddle but have not been able to find them and I’m casually looking for some other version but don’t like most of what I see, or I can’t figure out from the pictures how they work exactly. I don’t like the ones that hinge at the top and the bottom comes out…not really reason, just don’t like them.