Unlimited access >

Stomatitis and the Dumped Kitty - Nic graduates 2/10

Put me on your donation list if you do the surgery!

1 Like

I’ll send a dribble too

1 Like

I am also in for a donation for the surgery.

You guys are amazing. I was able to get in touch with my vet today and as expected, a full removal for Nic would range from $900 - $1300 depending on how hard the teeth are to remove. I know that its a long process and requires lots of pain meds but yikes that is a chunk of change!

Regarding Nic’s potentail recovery and subsequent indoor lifestyle change - I still have to speak w/ Mr.Batcoach and my BiL with whom we own this house. Since we have an equal share in the home, BiL does (unfortunately) have a say in the amount of feline guests we have. I did the whole “ask for forgiveness vs. permission” with the 2 foster cat litters and he was really not happy about it - I fear he is holding a grudge about it.

He does like and snuggle the 4 cats we have, but he’s not an “animal person” per se - like if he lived alone he probably would not have a cat or a dog. Whereas I can not fathom not living without an animal or doing everything I can to help animals… but people are different. I’m driven by my love of animals, but I realize that many others are not. Maybe this is how my friends with children feel about me - they love motherhood and kids, but I’m a self-professed “not a kid person.” I just don’t know what to do with them or understand them until they are teenagers. So I’m trying to be empathetic to his perspective while also thinking of a way to tactfully bring the situation to him so he will let Nic have a 2nd chance, otherwise his stomatitis will keep progressing to the point where he wont be able to eat.

7 Likes

I will totally send $ and support if we have to go to plan B. I will not allow an animal to suffer.

5 Likes

Good luck with Mr. BatCoach and bil.

My dribble will be available either way.

4 Likes

You can do it! I have faith. Let them know that Nic has a cadre of supporters here. :slight_smile:

Then let us know what you need and how to get it to you.

5 Likes

whatever happens you can still count me in.

4 Likes

I wonder if you can bring BIL and SO evidence from the vet? Maybe say look, this isn’t what we wanted but this cat we inherited deserves care and will live in pain without it, the vets say it is quite serious, blah blah… I think most people can have their soft side appealed to if they realize the animal is really at risk. My dribble is also available either way. Let us know if you want PayPal or if you’d like us to give directly to your vet for Nicodemus’ bills.

3 Likes

Count me in also. And when things are finalized and plans made please PM me if I miss an update on this thread.

1 Like

Just to give you an idea that is a very very cost efficient estimate. I typically quote those at minimum 2,000. It’s a lot of work depending on how the teeth are truly. In most stomatitis cases, the teeth are completely healthy so it requires a lot of work.

Like many others have said, they typically do very well once they are removed. Some do well with everything behind the canines removed and the incisors and canines left behind but if it’s a one time shot I would recommend taking those too.

1 Like

So I think there’s 14 of us on the donation list so far! Hopefully a foster + adoption scenario can be worked out for Nic, and BatCoach can send us instructions on payment and get the surgery scheduled.

That’s the kind of Xmas present I like to give!

5 Likes

I talked to BiL yesterday and to his credit he was a good listener and heard me out.

He definitely was moved that there are 14 other “crazy horse ladies” (my words) who care enough about this kitty to chip in $$ towards his surgery cost. I also pointed out that if Nic was feral, I would not be considering this, but since he is SO friendly I believe he would be a good candidate for indoor cat life/ adoption. I was also honest that although I think Nic would be a good pet, we don’t know how he will adapt to being inside w/ our cats, and that the transition period could be bumpy but I would do everything I could to make it easy on our cats (he is pretty attached to our old kitties, so he was concerned about how they would fare.)

Honestly it went better than I thought it would. I told him to take a couple to days to think about it. So keep a jingling! I’m also crossing all my crossables that Nic is OK since he was not on the doorstep this morning. Mouse and Siamesey were there on the heated mat waiting for breakfast… but not Nic. Trying to not be too concerned, outdoor cats have their own schedules, but Nic has been a constant for many months.

13 Likes

Jingles that you get to keep him, AND that he shows back up! But the stomatitis makes them feel like absolute hell sometimes.

2 Likes

Whew he’s back!

I’m living in a steady diet of day quill to power through this busy day and holiday party I am in charge of at work. I’ll ask BiL for his thoughts on the situation tomorrow. :crossed_fingers:

13 Likes

Glad on 2 Counts :ok_hand:
BIL is “considering”
Nic came back :heart_eyes_cat:
From the video, he is a sweetie :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
A thought:
If surgery is a Go, but BIL is a No, could another foster care for Nic through his recovery & then return to your place, where he could resume his Barncat status?

1 Like

I suppose he could… but I would really hesitate putting a cat with no teeth back on the streets.

We live in a very urban area in a townhouse-style home, so he’s got to deal with true feral cats, raccoons, coyotes, dogs and the most scary of all - mean humans.He does not have a place to shelter aside from my stoop, but that is not much and offers no protection. Most of the kitties sleep under cars, in storm drains or the few landscaped bushes in the community.

I feel like BiL would be more inclined to let Nic recover and (re)acclimate to house-cat life at our place, but he does not want another long-term cat. I almost need to look at this like an auction horse flipper situation. Save a horse from a rough situation, patch him up and give him groceries, and find a suitable home when the horse has proven himself to be a solid citizen. Problem is the market for a mid-aged ear-tipped toothless cat might be pretty small LOL. But you never know!

1 Like

Put me on the list for a donation too. I wish I could add another cat to the herd but Hansel, a.k.a. Mr. Asshole hates cats besides himself and his sister. So Gremlin has had to move indoors to remove herself from his wrath and she is not a good indoor cat. I wish all of them could have good lives…

Where do you live? I’m pretty sure you’re on the opposite coast. I’m NC.

Fingers crossed that some kind of solution presents itself.

Southern California