Unlimited access >

Stomatitis and the Dumped Kitty - Nic graduates 2/10

See my post - #10, I think.
Dempsey was All That & we still loved him.
The friend who wanted me to adopt, came with to the shelter & paid his fee, kept asking “Are you sure you want that one?”
Yes. I was :heart_eyes_cat:
DH was the one who had to take him to that Last Vet Visit (I had a work thing I couldn’t get out of) & he was so torn up :cry:

Any rescue with a story gets a home quickly—people love to be able to say, “Look at my new kitty, Nicodemus. You’ll never guess what happened to him before I adopted him. He’s famous with a bunch of horse people!”

I was a copywriter for years and if BIL agrees to foster, then you can maybe entice a rescue by letting them know both about Nic’s back story with you and his “influencer” status here on COTH. I would be happy to donate a write-up that they could use on social media to promote him.

With everyone here across the country willing to pitch in to get him safe and healthy (looks like you’re up to 15 donors now!), that’s a powerful story that should land him in a great home immediately! Especially with you adding before-and-after photos…

8 Likes

Please tag me if you decide to do the surgery and want donations. Otherwise I might not think to return to this thread

Nic is going to have a happy New Year! BiL and I have reached an agreement. Nic can stay with us while he recuperates from surgery for up to 4 months. I hope that’s enough time to get him all healed up and re-learn how to be a good house kitty.

I’ll update again when I have his surgery lined up. He will require vaccinations and de-worming as well, not to mention a bath since he can’t groom himself due to stomatitis pain.

Here is Nic being a useful package guard- his drooling is really evident here. I can’t wait to make him feel better and get this sweet guy off the streets.

20 Likes

Yay! You really are wonderful @BatCoach.

5 Likes

That’s a wonderful update! I needed some good kitty news today.

Thanks to you and your family for giving him a chance!

1 Like

Oh look at that droolbucket. He’s keeping your packages safe! No one will want to swipe soggy packages. :laughing: Please keep us updated and let us know where we can send a dribble.

5 Likes

Yay! Some good news! And you know that by the end of the four months, Nic will have your BIL wrapped around his paw.

Let us know where to send our contributions. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m so happy for him. I’m with Beowulf and Alex and bodies mom… let me know where to send contributions.

Again, yay!!! He will feel so much better. Give him a hug for me.

If you can’t find a rescue for Nic by the end of his recovery then I could investigate possible ways to get him to Tennessee for a reasonable cost (assuming he’s good with other indoor kitties). Maybe a horse shipper or airline flight.

It seems like a good way to honor Ella, who I lost yesterday, and my other cats are ok with new housemates. And I’m already feeding special meals to keep weight on my 19-y-I cat.

Obviously the best solution would be a local rescue, but consider me a worst-case option.

11 Likes

There might be enough of us here to do a cross-country delivery, in stages?

5 Likes

I could take him if he could get a ride to the Sacramento area. BatCoach, ask around if any of your colleagues are heading to Tahoe.

6 Likes

I too am currently running a senior cat test kitchen. Old lady cat will take a little of the Nula Freestyle purees, but best results this a.m. with Acana premium pate kitten food. She eats maybe 1/2 tsp at a time.

But shake the treats bag…runs for it.

2 Likes

Even better! Are there any big winter horse shows close to you? It might be easy to find a show barn shipping that way that would be happy to let him hitch a ride.

@BatCoach, I think we’ll be able to find him a home without having him spend time in a stressful shelter! Please tell your BIL he’s awesome (as are you!!!)!

4 Likes

Sadie gets some canned Fancy Feast, a dollop of Friskies L’il Shakes, about 20 Temptations treats and about 8 soft Meow Mix Irresistibles.

She was getting quite skinny before I started feeding her all these goodies, but now she’s gained a lot of weight. At her age I’m not worried about a balanced diet—I just want her to eat. :grin:

1 Like

Awesome :clap: news! Please PM me with any details for the surgery if miss the thread update.

1 Like

I’d pitch in for that if I’m along the route.

3 Likes

What great news. I’ll help too. We had an old cat who developed stomatitis—in his case we didn’t think he would do well with the surgery so we had to let him go, but I remember how much pain he was in and I’m so glad this guy will be feeling better soon.

4 Likes

Nic has his “Outdoor to Indoor Kitty Glow-up” vet appointment scheduled for Jan 13th! He’s going to get vaxed, tested for FeLV and FIV, flea-treated, de-wormed, and toothless. I’ve already ordered him his own cheapy cardboard scratcher and new cat bed for his recovery suite (aka downstairs bathroom).

I’ve opened a line of care credit in case more things pop up during the exam and surgery. I’ll post the final invoice here once all is said and done.

I’m not sure what the best way of donations are here - so I made a paypal fundraiser paige https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/8Qqhy0rugo

I’ll also respond to PM for my venmo, but don’t want to post it here on the forum since its my full name :slight_smile:

You guys are amazing, none of this would be moving forward without you!

13 Likes

@chestnutmarebeware I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty, particularly around the holidays. Hugs to you. Thank you for offering to be his safety net.

@BrownDerby WOW thank you! I actually have some connections up there, so even if I have to drive him up there myself I can stay with friends or fam for the night before I drive back. You made my day!!! Lets hope that all goes as planned and Nic has a successful surgery and transition to indoor life so we can make our 2023 roadtrip up the 5. It would not be the first time I made that drive with a kitty co-pilot!

*edited to correct would to would not. I made the drive with 4 kitties before, so just 1 meowing voice would certainly be easier than a choir of 4!

4 Likes