Unlimited access >

Stripes: Latest UPDATE! (Last post)

I posted here when I lost my fat, orange barnacle Cheeto to FIC in July. :sleepy:

Well, it looks like I’ll be getting a senior cat from a local shelter that has a free adoption program:
Seniors for Seniors
I visited there with a friend who was leaving flyers for her lost cat & hearing about the program touched me.
Cat in question is 10, has been there less than a month after being surrendered by an owner who couldn’t care for him.
No vices & was pretty easy-going with the other 4 cats in the same room - including bossy calico queen.:smirk_cat:
He’s been declawed, not something I’d do or approve of, but long in his past, so…
He’s about the same size as my surviving Bounce… Who’s been a bit more clingy since Cheeto disappeared from his life. They were buds.
I’m going - with friend above - Tuesday to bring him home :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Meet Stripes:

53 Likes

Congratulations! Can’t wait to hear updates when you get him home!

3 Likes

Aw, Stripes looks like Nic’s brother from another mother. You may look into various super soft litters; toe amputations can be very painful when using standard litters. You are doing such a kind thing.

6 Likes

Thanks, I’ll ask at the shelter, but I think they were using standard litter.
I’m pretty sure he was declawed young - probably by the owner who gave him up.
I hesitate changing litter as the cat I still have showed signs of FIP (TG, tested negative!) several years ago & vet suggested a change in litter might have been a stressor.
Before that, I bought whatever was on sale.
Now we’re a TidyCat household :smirk_cat:

I’ve started readying the Guestroom/Catroom for the arrival.
I even washed the floor - a chore I hate :blush:

19 Likes

Congratulations on your new kitty love!!! I dare say he may have just hit the kitty jackpot :heart:

5 Likes

What a cute face. Lucky Stripes and lucky you!

1 Like

Welcome to the family Stripes!

At first I thought his name was 10. :laughing:

How is 10 considered a senior when he could live to be 20.

3 Likes

Shelter starts calling them Srs at 6 :astonished:

4 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Happy to know you will have a new cat friend. Congratulations.

3 Likes

Cheeto would say, “That’s my mum!”

Is Stripes the name his owners gave him or the shelter gave him?

2 Likes

I’m assuming that’s his name, since he was surrendered at 10.
If it is, he can keep it.
Unless he seems to want a rename :smirk_cat:

4 Likes

He has a somewhat skeptical look.
I want to see pictures after a month, bet he will transform into a smiling faced cat.

4 Likes

You should ask the shelter if that’s the name he came with.

1 Like

Poor man looks tired and just wants a place he can be comfortable and lay his head.

4 Likes

What a handsome boy! So happy for you both. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I did see this! I am so glad. I can’t wait to hear more about him. I hope you will have better luck with your newbie than I am having.

1 Like

I usually change their names, just because I want to name them. For this last dog, I left his name. It was Sam. I usually don’t name pets with human names either. But something struck me about him, and I just left it.
This is Sam:

11 Likes

Some I change, some I don’t :woman_shrugging:

My TB came named Vernon & it stuck - showed him as Hey, Vern! thus dating myself :roll_eyes:
DH renamed his TWH who was registered Somebuddy’s Dream :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
He kept the barn name Buddy, but showed him as Steppin’ Out.
My TWH was registered Cash’s Bay Threat (Coins Hard Cash & Triple Threat bloodlines). I kept the Cash part.
WB was registered Jaybee Altair - he became Sam (for my Dad), showname Don’t Tell Me (also from Dad).
My Hackney Pony was registered Brownberry, I renamed him Kouma - Japanese for pony.
Current TWH came to me as Harley. Kept that but show him - rarely - as He’s My Harley.
Mini was named by the breeder: Missing in Action. I renamed him Wascally Wabbit for his white ear lining, barn name Bugs.

Adult cats from shelters:
1 renamed Dempsey by DH - due to his cauliflower ear from years as a tomcat on the streets
1 called Rose by the shelter, I kept the name to tease my Aunt Rose who was not a catlover :smiling_imp:
Bounce was a 6mo kitten, shelter gave him the name & it fit
Cheeto was called Fritz, which I did not like, so…

3 Likes

my horse I had for 29 years. I got her when she was 5 or 6. Not sure, it was a long long time ago. Her name was Dr. Pepper. Now, I hate the stuff. so I was gonna change her name, but… somehow, I just couldn’t. Dr. Pepper lended itself to many barn names, Pep. pepper, DP. She was a great horse. She did look quite like a mini Zenyatta. Dark brown/off black, with a large blaze, and two white hind socks. She was 15’3.

8 Likes