Unlimited access >

Struggling with canter transitions--help!

Hi guys,

My horse has had one trainer, one other rider (me), his whole life basically. Here’s the problem: when I ask for canter exactly as trainer does (with horse really between leg and hand and round, very in front of the leg, my sitting very correctly, etc) we have nice transitions. Anything other than what horse sees as perfection, I get very pissy horse–he sucks back, ears back, kicks out. Nothing wrong with horse–he NEVER EVER does this with trainer. I’m really tired of this problem, as.I am a decent rider and he’s a nice horse. I had a crap ride today because I wasn’t 100% on and I just wanted to relax and hack around. I’ll never be as good as trainer, so we need to bridge this gap. How does this kind of issue get fixed? Different riders? Put another trainer on him for a bit? He’s the first horse I’ve ever ridden who has been this particular, most just canter when you press that button. Thoughts and wisdom so I don’t feel so very stuck? (Also, please feel free to tell me I shouldn’t feel really dumb for having this issue because I have ridden for a long time)

You need to work on being a better rider. I am not trying to be snarky - riding well is HARD! Take some lessons on the lunge, work with your trainer on the timing of your aids, call out which foot is on the ground. Just basic stuff. Which is HARD. Don’t just canter around - work on transitions. The better tuned into each other the horse and you are - the more fun riding will be.

3 Likes

Some horses just aren’t very forgiving. Some will learn to be more forgiving than others over time, but there’s a reason “can take a joke” is a selling point.

The silver lining is that, if you choose to hold yourself to his standards (and not yours), you’ll improve as a rider. But even then, if you feel like you’re still unable to meet those standards (whether because of skill, time or desire), it might be best to move on and find a different horse who can chill out and be a better match for you. Some horses are just “pro-only rides” and there’s no reason to spend all your time frustrated because you’re not perfect. This is supposed to be FUN.

7 Likes

If you just want to hack around then skip anything that requires precision. Just walk trot.

2 Likes

Well he’s actually quite forgiving in that he doesn’t try and kill me, I just don’t get what I want. But how does one get the horse to be a little less particular? Would other riders help this issue? If he’s only had one trainer, he only knows one way. I’m sure this can be mitigated, especially since we’re talking about a canter transition and not something more sophisticated, right?

I mean, to me this sounds like the difference between a growl and a bite from a dog. Yes, a dog that’s growling isn’t “trying to kill me”, but they’re making it abundantly clear that they do NOT appreciate what you’re doing, and I definitely wouldn’t classify it as “forgiving” just because it could be worse.

2 Likes

Particular is good.

When a horse is used to sloppy cues it can be harder to progress to more refined training because the horse does not know a more specific cuem

If your canter cue is sloppy then it will be much harder to teach flying change.

Sorry, I’m also in the camp of try to ride your horse with the precision that matches his intelligence and on days you feel lazy just hack out at the walk.

9 Likes

We had this exact same problem.

Hubby came in complaining that Sim is overacting to his canter aid.

Huh? Why are you using an aid that is so strong he is overacting? You should be using the lightest aid possible. Try lifting your inside seatbone as lightest aid.

OMG the whole horse changed. It is like he did a big sigh and the canter improved so much that at the next lesson my instructor was amazed and said he had never seen him canter like that before, even with me on him. I said I told him the whole horse had changed.

My only question is how long would hubby have continued with his own canter aid before trying to change it if I had not said something?

4 Likes

Thanks and I do appreciate needing to ride well a and that some horses are a pro ride. But for basic flatwork…? I guess what I’m struggling with is that sometimes it seems like a lot to have to get him on the bridle, do a number of transitions, and have him super tuned in just to canter. It’s not about me asking in an offensive or sloppy way, it’s the degree of precision that seems excessive to need all the time. To me it feels like when he’s really tuned in, it’s right there and I just have to think canter. When I’m more relaxed about the ride, we don’t get the transition. Then again, if folks think this is normal for some horses, I can believe that too. (Part of what does factor into things in my head is the one trainer aspect, so I wonder if he could be taught differently as well)

It is not the Horse’s job to accommodate your inadequacy. It is your job to become a better rider. I know that’s not what you want to hear, and I’m not trying to be unpleasant. But you have a horse who does correct Canter transition because he has been trained correctly by your very good trainer, whom you sound ready to throw under the bus for doing a good job.

Take Longe lessons. Do 1 million Canter-trot, trot-canter transitions with your eyes closed. Try to feel what the horse is really doing underneath you rather than what you think should be happening.
Your body is not doing what you think it is, and you have to believe your horse. The whole point of riding is to learn to communicate in a way that the horse understands. Not to try to make them sacrifice their bodies to poor riding.

Canter transitions are actually pretty tough. It’s a yes or no answer to the question. There is no “sort of” transition. Often people start pushing down with the seat when they are worried that their aids are not going to work for a canter transition. Or get forceful with their aids. That is kiss of death.
There are lots of little tricks to help figure it out. Such as: posting through the transition on the inside diagonal.
Another helpful tip is to alternate between sitting trot and posting trot for just about six or eight steps each. And then once you’re happy with that, instead of posting asked for counter. It will help you not push down and get tight.

Nobody on this board who is a good rider is going to support you in the idea that your horse hast to dumb-down for you :slight_smile: we all have struggled, wanted to blame the horse, and have had good coaches refuse to let us do that.

6 Likes

I’ve done h/j lessons but switched to dressage. So yes flatwork is that precise.

If I can’t bring my A game I don’t school. I go for a hack. If I can’t bring my B game, I don’t ride at all that day.

3 Likes

I’m a bit surprised by these answers. Can no one else canter their horse on a loose rein sometimes?

This could be discomfort (my horses with SI issues have needed to be very connected to set them up to strike off in a way that was more comfortable for them until physical issue was improved) or just in his mind difficult, maybe unbalanced. Is there something you are doing that is markedly different other than the connection? I will lean forward sometimes for example, and many horses don’t appreciate that.

I don’t know if others riding would necessarily help but if he’s fairly broke at this point it wouldn’t hurt him to not be ridden by perfect people all the time and see what happens. Some horses are kind of forever pro rides because they aren’t that tolerant.

To work on it yourself, you might need to have the first canter be how he likes and then once he gets going, do some canter trot canter transitions and try to relax more in between. The pattern of it will help him understand what you want and maybe you can relax your contact. Or your first canter might suck but ride through. The answer is to just go forward. To set up maybe do walk trot transitions that are quick. A few steps of walk back to trot, to get the go button a little sharpened up. You can do this with him round on contact or not so long as you are riding the hind legs.

11 Likes

Thanks! I think it’s a combination of factors:

1. Not throwing trainer under bus but if horse only was taught one ride and he’s sensitive, any deviation is likely to have more impact. Trainer is also 6” taller than me and where my leg hits may very well make a difference.
  2. When he’s connected and round you can practically hear him saying: “Okay, what do you want, what do you want, what do you want???” so light cue is all that’s needed as he’s sensitive. This to me, feels like the biggest difference. Same as when he’s fresh—I’ve almost never had an issue when he’s fresh and very in front of my leg. In a field, he’ll canter from a walk no problem. I’ve never had an issue when riding in fields/trails (but he’s not ring sour, btw).
  3. When he’s not as connected in the bridle, he’s obviously not as responsive and so I think I then drive with my leg and seat when he doesn’t respond. I also tend to tip a little when I ask in this state (a flatter horse just feels like an entirely different ride to me), whereas when he’s round it feels great to sit up tall and I use my core more.

I don’t mind working hard, but when you just want to let your horse move and loosen up with a canter around the ring it’s frustrating when you have to be so precise to get it. Also, he will trot on a loose rein all day long—no issues at the trot. He’s also happy to canter with light contact, once you get him there. I don’t think it’s SI issues and I have a vet who does lameness/performance issues see him regularly. I think it’s what he knows, combined with a lack of responsiveness when not as connected, plus changes in how I ask as a result.

Oh and…any use of a whip makes this worse. I wear spurs normally.

Also IPEsq, I really like the idea of getting his canter and then playing with up and downward transitions from there. He’s always easier once we get rolling so that may help!

Are you by chance pulling on the reins at the same time you are asking him to go forward? Again, no snark here, i often did that on my mare, we had all sort of problems picking up the canter. Most of them were in my head. Eventually, until I got more in control of my hands, I would plant them at the martingale until I had established the canter. That way I could be sure I wasn’t pulling on the poor thing while wanting her to go.

I’m going to disagree with the majority here and say I would not tolerate this behavior from any of my horses. If any of my horses acted like that, they would get a sharp smack from the crop and a stern talking to.
It is super important to be able to ride a precise canter transition, and being able to do so is a necessary skill. But I also expect any horse I am riding to be able to canter from anywhere. I can be on a loose rein at the walk, and my horse should be able to canter off. If they can’t, they aren’t naturally balanced and they need more fitness work.
I don’t think OP is trying to dumb down her horse. She says she can get good canter transitions and I believe her. I think OP is expressing an issue that she’s encountering, which is that her horse is being a bit of an ass with canter transitions.
If this was my horse I’d look into reasons why I’m having this issue. I’d look closely at the stifles. If everything is good vet wise, I’d do a lot of transitions outside of the ring, on a looser rein. I find a lot of horse enjoy canter work outside of the ring and will loosen up a bit.
And finally I’d give that horse a good smack when he gave me that sass. Be prepared for a meltdown. I actually recently dealt with a mare with a very similar issue. We had a full and total meltdown, but once she realized I MEANT IT she’s never tired it again.

12 Likes

While it’s true that a horse should canter on a loose rein, the really specific things described here, tipping forward and grinding with your seat, are things most sensitive horses hate. This is on you to fix.

6 Likes

I’ll join @StormyDay and say that you shouldn’t have to be perfect every time to do something as simple as canter. I would double check for physical issues and then I would insist he canter when you ask even when everything isn’t perfect according to him. Obviously you need to feel confident enough that you can ride whatever transition you do get when you insist. Otherwise have someone else (not the trainer) do this.

Have you tried riding out in the open (like a field or a good trail) and see if it’s easier to get the canter transition?

I do think your idea of having different people ride him might be good (as long as they are confident enough to insist if he doesn’t “like” their aids) - you don’t want to “dumb him down” but I do think having him realize there is more than one way to be asked to canter would be a good thing.

IMHO any horse should be able to walk, trot, and canter with basically correct aids, of course realizing that the better the aids, the better the resulting gait will be (and vice versa).

5 Likes

Laser precise riding needed to get the one tempis: yes. Laser precise riding needed to get a trot to canter transition: bull corn.

Bar physical pain or conflicting aids, I expect forward when I apply leg. Give a hoot if I’m riding on the buckle.

11 Likes

That kind of sudden reaction in an otherwise trained horse sure sounds like pain to me. Has he been checked for kissing spine? This sounds classic KS.

2 Likes