Unlimited access >

Sunshirts that don't cling?

Hi- I’m a fluffy 38 year old adult ammy and am struggling to find a sunshirt that doesn’t cling to me and make me feel incredibly self conscious. Would like something with some structure and that can be worn a bit loose. I just bought an Ariat Sunstopper shirt on recommendation from a good friend but haven’t received it yet. Would love long sleeve and like the quarter zip look. Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

I think you will like the Ariat shirt. I have a few and they are thicker and coarser than, say, a cheapo Smartpak sunshirt, which helps to keep them from clinging. I think the open/perforated/not-sure-what-you-would-call-it design helps it from feeling staticky or clingy too.

4 Likes

Tuff Rider a size too big

I really like my ibkul shirts. Lots of fun prints, don’t cling, and lightweight. Doesn’t have a lot of structor I would say, but I’ve been happy with mine. I honestly like them more than any others and now don’t think I will buy other sunshirts.

You can typically find them more directed to golf/tennis crowd, so may be able to find some on sale from non typical riding places (I have found some on discount golf sites). They also offer the mock neck as well as scoop and polo options. Mock neck is the typical sunshirt style with the quarterzip.

3 Likes

San Soleil sun shirts do not cling. I always buy a size up anyway. The golf and tennis shirts have several cute designs and styles. Kastel shirts are the worst in regards to cling. I also like Ariat.

5 Likes

EIS Wear sunshirts are realllly good too. Typically they are $90 but this years colors are only $48. They don’t cling and wash and wear forever.

2 Likes

I bet fishing type/brand sunshirts would fit your bill, if you can’t find a looser fit equestrian one. I have a crew neck one that I looooove because it’s loose and doesn’t stick.

2 Likes

Another vote for Ariat - it’s got some structure but feels light as air and I don’t get nearly as sweaty in it vs some other sun shirts. It’s my go to for those truly miserable summer days!

5 Likes

I do the button up Columbia fishing shirts and it’s absolutely insane how cool they keep me. They aren’t the most flattering shirts I own but they can’t be be on hot sunny days

4 Likes

Another vote for the button down fishing shirts (I like Orvis)! Much cooler and more flattering for me personally than the traditional equestrian sunshirts

4 Likes

Never mind. Checked, and my recommendation for non-cling didn’t list SPF (UPF? whatever it is for fabric).

1 Like

Honestly I only bust them out on the hottest of nastiest days and it really does make a difference. Mine is a men’s, I don’t even know where I got it. It’s awesome!!

I have a few Equine Couture ones that don’t cling.

1 Like

I go to Dick’s and get the golf shirts. They have a lot more variety and I really like them.

3 Likes

All of this. :arrow_up:

I have amassed an entire collection of Kerrits Ice Fil sunshirts. And while I love them, I have discovered the IBKUL shirts and honestly like them better. Look on eBay and get them used for about 1/2 price. :wink:

2 Likes

One of my favorite brutal summer day shirts is a golf shirt from Dicks, but I will say it does cling when I start getting sweaty. My Ariat is a little thicker, but has some structure and doesn’t cling.

Another vote for Ariat. Also have had some from Horze (long sleeve Trista) that have a lot of structure and thus no cling but the Ariats are a little softer.

These shirts are great. Very roomy, no need to size up. There are always some on eBay.

1 Like

Columbia PFG makes a button down shirt that’s very light and airy fabric. You can tuck it in and make it very neat and they were made specifically for fishing and hiking, but I’ve seen Ariat somewhat copy the style and do the same with them. If you’re ok with a button-down, it’s a good loose option.

2 Likes

I found the Ariat sunshirts very scratchy. I second Ibkul in a size larger than you usually wear.

1 Like