Unlimited access >

Talk Me into or out of a Second Fjord

I always keep an eye open for a second fjord. I shouldn’t but I do :star_struck: I have come across one that fits the bill; all around good citizen, gelding, in good shape and health, is close enough that I could go get him. My partner isn’t super into riding but this horse would be a good fit if he wanted to give it a try and join me on trails.

Hesitations include his age; he will be 20 next year which could be more to manage health wise at any given time. And of course my budget. I am pretty happy where I am at and the board is extremely reasonable. My biggest worry is that if or when I ever needed to find a new boarding barn, I would need 2 stalls available and the cost could easily double what I am paying now. What I am paying now still would leave me some wiggle room to save and spend, but if we double that anytime soon, that would make things tight. I also worry that my first is very used to being an Only Pony and getting all of my attention and I don’t know how a second would or wouldn’t alter that either!

As someone who doesn’t own but wants too (and I’ll probably end up with a grade something horse/pony and I’m fine with that) but who’d love a Fjord, I say go for it!!! Double the cuteness plus you’d have a second horse if you ever wanted to take a friend etc out for a ride. If cost became a problem, you could consider leasing/ partially leasing him out? Or maybe do working board- like Dobbin gets used in X number of lessons per week for Y off of board? I’m on Team Go For It!!

2 Likes

It’s really hard (timewise) moving from one horse to two and takes a while to develop a new schedule that works for all three of you. That’s the big divide—once you have two, then three, four +++, isn’t such a big deal!

But we’re all enablers here, so asking if you should get another horse is kind of like asking if you should take another breath… :rofl:

7 Likes

Historically this board is very good at enabling people who find a horse and ask about buying it.

More cuteness, as long as you can afford it, is never a bad thing.

3 Likes

Not an enabler, sorry. How about trying to lease said Fjord instead of purchase? You get to see if partner will get more enthused doing riding things together. You can see how budgeting time and use doing two equines works out. And last, your money budget is not permanently in jeopardy being stretched out.

A second horse SOUNDS great, but partner may not be interested enough in doing trail riding often to merit keeping a second horse. Once a month ride is not enough. Having horse on hand should tell you this pretty quickly. Partner probably is not interested in winter riding limitations of arena circles, being cold. Have you got the time to keep 2 horses ridden regularly all winter? You really don’t want to keep a horse for friends to ride if you do not have the time. Older horses do need regular riding, exercise, to keep them slightly fit, mentally stimulated.
Double the upkeep costs even if Second goes barefoot, board, Vet care, Farrier every six weeks. Tack for him to be ridden with. The money goes fast.

Have to say getting the second horse for me, was like having a second child. Things don’t just double in expenses, time required. They multiplied geometrically, like times 4 or 5!! I was sure surprised by that with horses and kids! Ha ha You have been fairly warned, choice is on you.

3 Likes

A second one would really be for me with the option of partner riding if/when he feels comfortable and would by no means be sitting around for a once a month ride :joy: I do have the time and would not just buy a horse for it to sit. I am anal about my budget so I am well aware on all things cost wise.

My current gelding is 5 and I am bringing him along with dressage/working eq as well as driving. It would be nice for me to have two to rotate when current fjord has his rest days or down time. I’d ride him 7 days a week if it wouldn’t burn him out haha. Working with my gelding and being at the barn is how I unwind and really the more the better.

My bigger concern is his age. Granted anything can happen to any horse at any point, but that would definitely expedite having to spend Horse Number 2 Budget for keeping him happy and healthy in retirement. Pushing 20, we may be lucky to get a good decade of usability and getting a third one at that point would be too much to board (for me). The other thought is that partner could ride current fjord on trail and I could start bringing along another greenie in a couple years (which I really do enjoy a lot) as well as continue current Fjords more advanced training. This option feels like the better of the two typing it all out. That tracks better with my age and when I might start to slow down more too haha.

5 Likes

Horrible Fjord enabler and breeder here. Of course you need a second Fjord. You are behind the curve in accumulation.

More seriously, the market today is difficult if you want a registered Fjord or even an unregistered one. Supply is very low and demand is very high. I only sell foals now but when I do get a consignment, that horse lasts a day or two and is sold for full asking price. Prices are really going up because you have a hard time finding an adult trained horse.

Twenty is nothing for a Fjord. My oldies are 30, 27, 23, 22, and 21. The 21 year old is a stallion and he still competes an wins in low level dressage and eventing. All these horses can be ridden or driven if I want. Nobody needs medication. They are wormed, fhe annual dental checks, get shots and are trimmed every 6 weeks.

All my horses live out 24/7 in small groups. They thrive. They are barefoot, they are easy keepers, they don’t need blankets. What is not to like? So don’t be silly; get that second Fjord!

9 Likes

You are very much an enabler!!!

2 Likes

As much as I think that a driven pair of Fjords is exactly what you need, I’ll share my not so enabling experience of having a second older horse.

I acquired a second horse aged around 20 to be a companion for my first horse when we got our farm. In my case a second horse was more a necessity. The second horse is a doll. I love him dearly. His laid back BTDT funny old man personality is an utter joy. Sadly, as I’ve had him he’s developed (or I discovered) laminitis and founder despite not being a typical candidate, like an older Fjord might be. This is not a simple case of oh change his diet and his trim. This is monthly x rays, bi weekly trims, experimenting with shoeing and booting options. Various bloodwork, venograms to see if we’re literally beating a dead horse, agonizing decisions about diet and management. Labor intensive care. Emotional distress as I care for him. Money money money.

Proceed with caution

2 Likes

In this case, I’m with the leasing option. If there’s a slim chance SO might get more interested, you tell them ‘it’s now or never, prove it’.

I have two. One is 90% retired, he comes out for a quick ride from time to time, but nothing more than 20 minutes or so. My time crunch makes it impossible to keep him legged up, so even trail rides longer than a few miles are entirely out of the question for him at this time. The time factor to keep both well cared for is HUGE.

1 Like

@endlessclimb This is exactly the hesitation. Im pretty solidly comfortable saying at this point, fjord number two will be a youngster of sorts and will probably a couple years off. Charlie will keep me busy with that for quite some time working through dressage and working eq levels I imagine! And driving!! I also think I am happier with a horse to train vs one that I just need to keep in shape too. At this point anyways.

I have no interest in leasing. Second horse would be an option for SO, but not the primary reason I would get one.

2 Likes

Understood on the leasing. Will your current horse ever be significant other safe? If yes, with miles or what have you, I vote keep chipping away at him, and when he’s ready to be am occasional (or often, how cool would that be??) SO mount, then get a new one to bring along.

I always have something young in the wings, I feel. Keeps me on my toes, and keeps me motivated.

1 Like

Current horse would likely be just fine going walking out on trails with SO right now; I just hesitate since he hasn’t had many riders on him and he is still young. He had a mini lesson on him once, and Charlie was just fine. With more miles and time, he will be perfect for him. SO does like to join in the cart too which is a great option. That is just harder to haul out to places for a change of scenery right now!

1 Like

That’s how I feel too. Even when I was younger, I always opted for the horses that needed some work vs the ones that could go in the show pen and place high or win the class.

1 Like

Autumn and all the pretty leaves are coming- might make the extra effort and work of hauling out worth it? Or winter, if there’s enough snow for a sled ride. (Also assumingly if you own a sled​:laughing:) and I’m pretty much just daydreaming right now. Don’t mind me. :grin:

We have yet to even figure out if the cart can go in the back of the pickup…and if it can, how we can easily get it in there. Not a big rush on hauling out to drive yet needless to say, and we may be locked to my barn until we upgrade hauling equipment.

Hmmm, look around your boarding stable and at your friends. Can you find someone who would love a super safe Fjord? Preferably someone with limited time who would love for you or hubby to ride him sometimes! :wink:

1 Like

This is interesting because here in Ontario there are Fjords being shipped in from Alberta by the boatloads. Everywhere, and dirt cheap.

2 Likes

Jealoushe, I am betting that the boatloads of cheap Fjords from Alberta are not registered and possibly crossbred. There were many PMU farms in Canada that used Fjord stallions were easy to handle. The are only about 6K purebred, registered Fjords in the US and Canada. While not a rare breed, it is an uncommon breed and in high demand due to temperament and versatility in performance. A purebred Canadian Fjord will be DNA tested, microchipped and registered with the Canadian Livestock Records Corportation.

Back to the older Fjord…if you are concerned about the condition of any horse, old or young, have a PPE done. Get x-rays. If the Fjord is purebred and his registration has been transferred upon prior sales, you have a record of who bred him and who owned him in the past. You can find out a great deal about prior history by simply contacting past owners. The best value I ever had in a horse purchase was a 21 year old mare that I bought off a photo online. it was 2000 and I paid $4K for her and then another $1K to ship her from Oregon to Virginia. People thought I was nuts. Serina was perfect. She rode, she drove, she did draft work, and she gave so many young riders confidence in lessons. She had 2 foals for us. When she was 27, we took her to our registry’s breed evaluation. Not only did she do well in conformation, she was the HIGH SCORE HORSE in riding, driving and draft performance tests. She was 12 years older than the next oldest horse. And the next year she came back to another evaluation and won another draft performance test. She was in great health until the day she died at age 29.5. And she did not deteriorate or run up a vet bill, she had a stroke or heart attack. She just died and we buried her in the field.

5 Likes

yes I’m sure they aren’t quality bred or anything but they sure are cute. There’s about 30 of them in my area from hoarder/sales yard.

1 Like