Unlimited access >

Talk to me about pigs

How big are they currently? I recently saw someone measure their adult Kunekune at just under 24" tall so that might give you an idea of breed or help determine if they are babies or adults. I think an adult Potbelly would be shorter and a Guinea Hog would be taller.

I donā€™t think they feel well when they get that fat. There is a so called ā€œrescueā€ on youtube that takes in animals and feeds junk food and too much in general. They all get fat but the pigs, in particular, start off happy and active but look miserable a few months later because it hurts to walk.

2 Likes

A friend of mine used to raise Guinea hogs and they were very docile. Tore up the ground with rooting but they were rotated between several pens to help with that.
They werenā€™t pets so they didnā€™t get petted a lot but when you went in the pens most of them would come up and let you touch them or nose at your boots, etc. The boar loved being scratched behind the ears and would gently take treats from your hand.
I loved baby sitting the pigs.

1 Like

Any updates? I really want to see a picture!

They are doing well! My husband put a pool in their stall :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: they are eating a lot of veggies. They will come up and sniff us but do not want to be touched. They also are scared of quick movements.

Hoping to move them into a pig pen within the week. I need my stall back but they have also killed two rats so they are earning their keep :rofl::rofl::rofl: Do you know how to add pictures? I have tried but cannot figure it out

3 Likes

When you hit reply, thereā€™s the box where you type and all the little options on top of it. Click the one that has a little upward arrow, that is Upload. Then go through your phone and find the pics you want and follow the prompts.

It is one of the nice features of this forum, photos are pretty easy to post.

Here are the instructions from the below thread on how to post photos.

I typically just do the copy and paste technique. It works great.

There are lots of great instructions in this thread, FYI.

1 Like

Thanks Trubandloki!

Here are the girls! Daisy is all black and Tulip has the spot on her head!

18 Likes

Last night my husband got home, grabbed the lettuce and tomatoes for the tacos we were having for dinner and ran down to feed them. It cracks me up!!!

12 Likes

Oh my, they are little things, arenā€™t they?

3 Likes

Yes, they are smaller than my dogs.

Iā€™m no expert but the picture of Tulip stretching out for food looks like a not fully mature Potbelly. On the other hand, the noses are more like baby Guinea Hogs. Do you have feral hogs in the area? If they get with a Potbelly, the result could look like a Guinea. Iā€™m just finding it hard to believe anyone would dump two pigs worth money but you never know.

Whatever they are, I call them cute and smart for finding a new home that serves pancakes and taco fixings! Rats are a bonus. :rofl:

5 Likes

Yes, their faces look like the guinea hogs but bodies are pot bellies. They are very cute and getting braver around us. They killed a second rat yesterday! LOL! They are better than the stray cat that has taken up on our farm. Nobody has claimed them so I have no clue. I do not know anyone with pigs around us but there are many farms way off the road. These are the first loose pigs I have seen in 17 years. I guess they have a home now!

2 Likes

Babies are naturally twitchy but with gentle and matter of fact handling (no pressure hand feeding), one day theyā€™ll be flopping over for belly rubs.

If you and your husband donā€™t already hate them, that means you are pig people. Just build a sturdy pen and sort out how to keep them in plenty of fresh water. They love soaked grain and it helps them get enough fluids in the summer.

2 Likes

just keep track of expenses, in case somebody comes to claim them down the roadā€¦

1 Like

Hereā€™s a funny video for you about someoneā€™s first experience with pigs. Jason and his wife are the nicest people but not the most knowledgeable about animals. They got feeder pigs a couple years ago and were deathly afraid at first, but got used them and eventually felt comfortable putting them out on grass in electric netting. Hilarity ensues when they get a little too comfortable on a day the pigs want to zip around. FYI ā€“ they have continued to keep pigs and learned how lanes help direct them to the right location.

5 Likes

Pig zoomies!!

They need pig feed ( in addition to treats) to get the nutrients they need. Donā€™t offer it free choice because even small breeds get larger with too much feed.

Are you sure they are both females or at least if a male is present it is castrated? Just checking.

Most pigs will root up a storm and the pen may look like a war zone very soon. They are clean though if given a chance!!

People in the comments were calling it zoomies but he didnā€™t know what that was because heā€™s never even had a dog or a cat. LOL

Oh no hahahaha